Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any offshore fishermen here? What are you guys fishing on? Rods, reels, boats, what are you fishing, etc? And how about some pictures!

·
Registered
300 Posts
We go Cayon fishing off the NJ coast (100 miles offshore) for tuna, shark, marlin and so on. Old boat was a Luhrs Tournament fishing boat had tuna tower, fighting chair blah blah it was a slow ride getting out there so we sold that and went to a donzi center console with twin 300 outboards that got us there a lot quick but was a rough ride you got beat to death. Now have a Stamas center console with a inboard yanmar turbo diesel. Boat is not fast like the donzi but rides so much nicer.

Rods and reels are penn international anything from the small 30 up to the 80.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
I was...

Had an '07 Regulator 24FS

Twin Yamaha 150/4's.

Rods and Reels varied.. Penn, Shimano, Flueger

conventional and spinning.

Sold boat last May.

Wasnt using it much and legal limit here for keepers on LI is rediculous.

·
Registered
419 Posts
^ Post some pics!

I like offshore fishing, but as little as I go it's easier to just pay a charter and get some friends to chip in than to even think about owning/maintaining a boat. I like to spend my time in lake water more than salt water anyway.

Going "near shore" fishing next Friday somewhere around Morehead City, NC. It sounded like we'd be staying within 10 miles of shore. I don't really know the details, but a buddy called and asked if I wanted to throw in on a boat/captain that he had lined up. Sounded like a good time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
31' Contender Tournament Twin 300HP Yamaha
Van Staal & Avet Reels - Armbreaker Rods
Boca Grande Pass south to Key West

·
Registered
244 Posts
Im a big offshore guy, do a lot of fishing out of miami, fl and around the bahamas.

Ran into some boat trouble recently so have not been out on the water, its killing me!:(

But, i hope by winter i will have another hull at least.

Im looking into grabbing a few Penn international reels for wahoo season coming up.( granted i have a boat :lol:)

Any questions feel free to ask.

O and if anyone recommends a good boat please fill me in been doing someone research. Prob around 28' CC

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whenever you're ready to start putting your setup together i'd suggest going over to LMR Tackle in Fort Lauderdale, the owner of the place is a real straight shooter and very knowledgeable. That's where i've bought a lot of my equipment.

·
Banned
8,211 Posts
I was out last saturday in Nj. I was 60 miles off shore trolling for Blue fin tuna, went 6 for 8 on the troll then we headed to the hudson canyon for some sharking at night and picked up a ton of threshers but only one Mako that went 268# I fish every day and I'm willing too bet that I'm the best fisherman in NJ on this forum!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I do a lot of freshwater fishing. I just got a fly fishing pole today from cabelas, really looking forward to trying that out. No previous experience with one but i figure if im ever going to be a biologist and extreme angler im going to need to learn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
anyone been out recently ?
Hey man, new to the board but yeah I fish all the time. I'm waterfront in Coconut Grove; boat's in the backyard! I have a 32' SeaVee with twin Verado 300's. Got it about 4 months ago got the tail end of the winter fishing season and have been fishing the summer as best I can. Just got back from a 12 day fishing tour of the Bahamas. Miami -> Lucaya, Freeport -> Marsh Harbor -> Harbor Island -> Chubb Cay -> Miami. We maxed out on Yellowfin on day 2 (biggest was 81.5 lbs, caught 350 or so lbs of yellowfin that day). Next we went Marlin fishing and I pulled up a 650 Blue Marlin. Sick trip, I highly recommend it.

As for gear, I have 4 alutecno 20's and 2 alutecno 30w's. 4 Penn battle 7000's another 4 battle 5000's and a couple other misc rods and reel combos. (The boat / gear we fished was my friends 38 predator. Penn Intl 50's and 80w's)

If you need gear, talk to my friends at Hopkins Carter on the Miami river. They have great prices and can get you anything you need. They sponsor a lot of the local tournaments so they support our fishing scene down here so I don't have a problem supporting them. Good people too.

Good luck on putting the boat back together! If you're looking for a 28 center console, I'd see if you can find a contender, or a seavee. pm me if you need any help or anything else.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I do a lot of offshore fishing off San Diego, when there's fish that is.. Been a lot of Mahi and yellowtail and some striped marlin within 4-20 miles of the coast lately in US waters. Last time I went out we trolled around looking for kelp patties (floating piles of kelp, like weedlines in FL). got a few mahi with some size, 15lbs, and a few 15-20lb yellowtail, even saw 3 sleeping striped marlin in a group but no action with them. As for gear, its 30 wides or 50 wides for trolling and 20-30 lb for casting baits to the patties. I have Penn 50 and 30 2 speeds and a bunch of Avet MXLs and SXs which are mainly on custom rods. We don't get huge tuna or billfish here, but there are a lot of HUGE mako sharks. so the people that target those use 50s and 80s.

I get jealous of you east coast guys!!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Freshwater is more of my thing, but ever since moving to Daytona, I've really been wanting to get into offshore

1 - 17 of 17 Posts