Luxury4Play.com banner

661 - 680 of 695 Posts

·
14,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #662

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here's my E92 M3 I recently picked up. Got rid of my C63 AMG for it. Got the Dinan exhaust, software and carbon fibre intake, and Lux angel eyes so far. Unlike my C63 will mostly keep this stock except for maybe a few more cosmetic additions like carbon fibre splitter and diffuser. The colour is Brass Metallic and it's ONE of ONE in North America. Super rare and absolutely gorgeous in person. Has a Golden shade when the sun hits and sort of green at other times.

·
14,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #664
So how is it compared to the C63? I found that the C63 is a great car and I enjoyed driving it. But it can't handle very well and it isn't that fast actually.... Lots of low end power though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So how is it compared to the C63? I found that the C63 is a great car and I enjoyed driving it. But it can't handle very well and it isn't that fast actually.... Lots of low end power though.
Here are my brief thoughts/comparison between the two...

Power: No doubt the C63 was way more powerful. The M3 just doesn't have that thrill of being violently thrown back in your seat when you gun it from a stop like you did with the C63. There are no surprises there as the torque difference between the two cars is massive. I prefer the M3 to the C63 in this area because even though it doesn't take off as abruptly as the C63, the latter wasted a lot of time spinning the rear tires before it actually got going. The M3 does just the right amount and you're already on your way and it's not like the M3 feels slow in way, shape or form especially when you're in the right power band and gear. To make the more dramatic take off with noises and screeching tires definitely the C63 but to make a reasonably quick but a lot less dramatic of a take-off then the M3. For this reason I think the M3 might even be a little better in winter after I throw some winter tires on compared to the C63.

Handling: The M3 takes the edge in this department as far as I am concerned. It's hard to explain but while driving the M3 it feels more planted, grounded and heavier on the road than the C63 did, even though it's a lighter car. The steering wheel has great control and when you drive it it you feel the control in your hands. The C63 was also great but I guess with the massive torque factor and rear wheels spinning out every time you tried to gun it sort of took away from that feeling even though it increased the fun factor in that vehicle.

Transmission: This is one section that is absolutely no contest at all. My C63 had the dated 7 speed automatic transmission and not the MCT the new ones comes with so I am not sure how that is but the DCT feels absolutely rapid and super-quick. The shift happens almost immediately after you change it. In the 'aggressive' shift mode, I love the noises for upshift and downshift it makes. Of course since mine has some Dinan goodies so I am not comparing a stock M3 in this department but I thought I would definitely miss the C63 rumble but I can't quite say that is the case now. In fact in some ways I prefer the M3's sound. When gunning the M3 shifting through the gears at least with this exhaust it makes the car sound like an exotic car. Overall I prefer the M3 without any doubt in this department.

Some things I liked about the C63 more: This may only by with my specific M3 but I was disappointed to find no back up camera. Even Ford's have those and apparently this one doesn't. There are no sensors in the front and while it's a not a must I was nicely used to my C63's sensors and back up camera. The steering wheel on the C63 felt a lot nicer with the flat bottom and Alcantara on it.

But these are very minor things when compared to the overall joy and thrill you get while driving the M3. Overall, I am happy with the switch and don't think I made the wrong decision at all. That being said, I will see how the M3 bodes in our winters here in Alberta which will also be a test for it. But I drove the C63 with winter tires and I think if I have a good set on the M3 it shouldn't be too much of an issue either.

661 - 680 of 695 Posts