Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to start a list of the best so-cal restaraunts. Not sure if someone has made a thread like this, but i couldnt find one. Post up one or a list of any (fancy, chill, a hole in the wall, Cafe, Hookah lounge etc..) It will become helpful to anybody who is hungry and cant decide what / where to eat..
Lets get it started..

One of my fav Philly / Wing spots..
Hoagies & Wings
14552 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

Has some of the best mexican food.. (make sure to try the Torta and Cheese tacos)
Taqueria El Tapatio
1266 S Glendale Ave
Glendale, CA 91205

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Slightly different then above but I would suggest my regular spots:

XIV

Katsuya (Studio City for quick in and out, Brentwood for Cougar watching, Hollywood for a good time, Glendale never.)

Bazaar

Mozza Oseteria & the Pizzeria

Velvet Margarita

Casa Vega

8oz Burger Bar

Laurel Tavern

To many more to list. To lazy to do the addresses ;) but thankfully there is google.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
mexican - el taurino (near hoover and olympic) - their hot sauce is out of this world!
pizza - king of ny pizzeria (on 3rd and western)
pricier pizza - pizzeria mozza or jones bar
burgers - burger bar (on melrose, just east of fairfax) or fathers office (in culver city)
chinese - yang chow (chinatown, near broadway and alpine)
pricier chinese - mr chows (near rodeo)
tapas - the bazaar @ the sls or cobras and matadors (beverly and curson)
sushi - sushiya (sunset plaza)
steaks - the palm (hollywood and downtown locations)
korean - chosun bbq (1 block west of western on olympic)
crab - crustaceans (in beverly hills)
soul food - baby blues (in venice)
chicken wings - kyochon chicken (in ktown) - trust me, koreans know how to do chicken wings right!

trying to think of what else i like, but i guess i could add more later on. hope this helps.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Persian food:

Raffi's Place - Glendale
Darband - Woodland Hills
Caspian - OC
Darya - West LA / Santa Monica
Sholeh/Flame - Westwood + Beverly Hills
4 Fasl - Agoura
Alborz - Del Mar
Bandar - downtown San Diego / Gaslamp

Hookah (only referring to Hookah, not the food, etc.):

The Spot - Encino
Habibi's / Gypsy - Westwood
Zinio's - Westwood (mostly locals, good hookah)
Dahab - West LA
Hookah Lounge - Glendale
Gitanes / Cafe O - Burbank
Hidden Cafe - OC
Med Cafe - downtown San Diego
Fumari - downtown San Diego / Gaslamp

I should mention that there are more than I've listed all over L.A. But for one reason or another, you wouldn't want to dine / smoke there.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Father's Office on Montana Ave.

The Counter in Westwood.

Tommy's on Olympic under the 405.

Can you tell I like burgers??

Big Mike's in Hermosa for sandwiches.

But my fav restaurant in LA is Mastro's.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hookah:

The Spot - Encino
Habibi's / Gypsy - Westwood
Zinio's - Westwood (mostly locals, good hookah)
Dahab - West LA
Hookah Lounge - Glendale
Gitanes / Cafe O - Burbank
Hidden Cafe - OC
Med Cafe - downtown San Diego
Fumari - downtown San Diego / Gaslamp

I should mention that there are more than I've listed all over L.A. But for one reason or another, you wouldn't want to dine / smoke there.
The Spot is one of my fav hookah spots so far..
Gitanas and Cafe O arent bad, not a big fan of their food tho
Hookah lounge has okay hookahs. havent really tried the food

Some more hookah spots..

Kaffe Rouge , on ventura blvd.
Oceans Restaurant, Woodland hills, devonshire st

·
Registered
819 Posts
The Spot is one of my fav hookah spots so far..
Gitanas and Cafe O arent bad, not a big fan of their food tho
Hookah lounge has okay hookahs. havent really tried the food

Some more hookah spots..

Kaffe Rouge , on ventura blvd.
Oceans Restaurant, Woodland hills, devonshire st
I'm gonna edit my original post to say that I'm only referring to the hookah at the places under "Hookah", but the food at The Spot is pretty good. Although, they do tend to let their meat sit in tenderizer a bit too long.

Gitanas and Cafe O food is crap for sure. Their hookahs aren't great either, but their situated in a great area and you can have dinner closeby and drop in for hookah and a tea. Or during the day you can shop and then drop in afterward for hookah and tea.

Hookah Lounge is the only place I feel comfortable going in Glendale for hookah. Everywhere else I get stared down by local Armos who don't recognize me, which is uncomfortable. Most of my friends who live in Glendale also seem to feel the same way. But I'd really like to find a better place to go / take girls in that area.

I haven't tried Kaffe Rouge, but heard the crowd is really hit or miss, although the hookah and food is on the good side. Some of my girl friends said it's pretty good on weeknights, but Friday/Saturday there are lots of greaseballs and sleezy guys.

Oceans used to be a lot better when it first opened. The owner used to work for Zahla restaurant in N. Hollywood then he opened up Oceans. But, last time couple times I went, I felt like the crowd had definitely declined and our service was lacking. The hookah is usually pretty good though.

Still, The Spot is THE BEST all-around hookah place in L.A. by far IMHO. The food is good, the hookah is excellent, the crowd is excellent, plenty of parking, fantastic service and management and very little drama. I'm there twice a week on average.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Urasawa - best sushi

Secret beef place - best beef

Providence - best (cooked) seafod

Mozza - best pizza

Il Grano - best pasta / italian

- chuck

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm gonna edit my original post to say that I'm only referring to the hookah at the places under "Hookah", but the food at The Spot is pretty good. Although, they do tend to let their meat sit in tenderizer a bit too long.

Gitanas and Cafe O food is crap for sure. Their hookahs aren't great either, but their situated in a great area and you can have dinner closeby and drop in for hookah and a tea. Or during the day you can shop and then drop in afterward for hookah and tea.

Hookah Lounge is the only place I feel comfortable going in Glendale for hookah. Everywhere else I get stared down by local Armos who don't recognize me, which is uncomfortable. Most of my friends who live in Glendale also seem to feel the same way. But I'd really like to find a better place to go / take girls in that area.

I haven't tried Kaffe Rouge, but heard the crowd is really hit or miss, although the hookah and food is on the good side. Some of my girl friends said it's pretty good on weeknights, but Friday/Saturday there are lots of greaseballs and sleezy guys.

Oceans used to be a lot better when it first opened. The owner used to work for Zahla restaurant in N. Hollywood then he opened up Oceans. But, last time couple times I went, I felt like the crowd had definitely declined and our service was lacking. The hookah is usually pretty good though.

Still, The Spot is THE BEST all-around hookah place in L.A. by far IMHO. The food is good, the hookah is excellent, the crowd is excellent, plenty of parking, fantastic service and management and very little drama. I'm there twice a week on average.
Very true on the cafe-o being a nice stop by spot.

I heard of another hookah/restaraunt in glendale but i forgot the name, i think its on brand, but im not sure.. I heard its really fancy, so im sure itll be a nice place to take a girl

Kaffe Rouge has a real nice VIP spot on 3rd level, has beds and its very nice place to chill

Ya before it became Zahle it was called Aquraium , i think oceans hookah and food is goood. i enjoy it

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
In our area we love...
Seafood...
Rusty Pelican
Great Sunday Brunch
Rusty Pelican

Harborside Restarant and Newport Landing
Great for the Flotillas
Harborside Restaurant and Grand Ballroom in the Balboa Pavilion, Newport Beach, CA

The Galley
*Secret* Cash Only Breakfast for the locals...

Sushi & Sake...
Kingyo Sushi
21135 Newport Coast Dr
Newport Beach, CA 92657

Eastern Mediterranean...
Zov's
21123 Newport Coast Dr.
Newport Coast, CA 92657
Zov's Restaurant in Newport

Mexican...
Taco Rosa
Great Sunday Brunch
2632 San Miguel Dr
Newport Beach, CA 92660

French...
A friend of mine has Gemmell's in Dana Point...
34471 Golden Lantern
Dana Point, California 92629
(949) 234-0063

Italian...
Villa Nova
3131 W Coast Hwy
Newport Beach, CA 92663
(949) 642-7880
Villa Nova Restaurant -- Fine Italian Dining In Newport Beach Ca.

Steak & Martini's...
the Bungalow
2441 East Coast Highway
Corona Del Mar, CA 92625
The Bungalow Restaurant :: HOME ::

...and Almost any place on Balboa!

·
Registered
200 Posts
San Francisco/Nor Cal:
1. French Laundry $$$$
2.Gary Dankos $$$
3. Village Pub (woodside) $$$
4. Kingfish (best Tuna Tartare)(San Mateo) $$
5. Pancho Villa Taqueria (Best Mexican Food) (San Mateo) $

LA/SoCal:
1. Koi- I love the aisian fusion, but not cheap...$$$
2. Spago- Best Seafood and a really chic place...$$$
3. The Palm- Best Steak $$$$
4. Republic Restaurant- my favorite in LA awesome food but just so chill to hang and meet some very attractive girls $$$

·
Premium Member
17,966 Posts
Oh yes and The Spot is and always will be one of the best places to hang out and eat at.

Also I like Aroma Cafe on Sunset. No hookah but good mix of middle eastern food.

For Brunch: Clafoutis on Sunset!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Javiers (oc)
Javiers is legit!

Il Fornaio is decent italian food for a reasonable price. Lakeshore Towers in Irvine, and old town Pasadena.

La Tolteca in Azusa.

Roady's Cafe in old town San Dimas, kick ass old school diner type joint, best $5 breakfast anywhere. :clap:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts