Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since being on extended vacation with my new car, I've been doing a lot of random aimless drives especially during the night. I guess this might be a good sign I enjoy merely the act of driving this car so buyers remorse isn't an issue...

I almost never have a passenger so I can play whatever music and go whichever roads I please without worrying if they are bored.

Anyone else like night driving just for fun?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I absolutely love driving at night and in the early morning. I feel like the only limitation in my life is how much fuel I've got in the tank, and that's it. I do my best thinking when I just take a drive. You should drive to Cali so we can go on a late-night cruise lol.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Love driving at night alone sooo relaxing

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Yes, with my disease I don't usually feel well enough to leave the house... I try to get out once every week or two by going for a quick 30-60 minute drive at night. Very calm and relaxing to have the roads to yourself.

Still sketch about opening it up on the interstate (and majority of backroads) at night even though it's completely 200% safe to do so... Never know where an officer will be hiding with instant on. Although I do have a V1 and installed some Laser Interceptors tonight.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry to hear Lindw4ll. I usually only open up on the on or off ramps where I get the most G-forces. Straight line acceleration I don't feel as much. But more than not I actually try to hypermill in eco-mode when I do late night driving just to keep me entertained. Got up to 32 mpgs tonight lol.

This is my idea of fun:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I'm sorry to hear Lindw4ll. I usually only open up on the on or off ramps where I get the most G-forces. Straight line acceleration I don't feel as much. But more than not I actually try to hypermill in eco-mode when I do late night driving just to keep me entertained. Got up to 32 mpgs tonight lol.

This is my idea of fun:

[video=youtube[/video]
That does look like fun. Maybe I will drive down to Milwaukee one of these nights if I feel up for it. Everything is dark and dead out here in the 'burbs at night which is a little boring.

I usually just go the speed limit or +5 and it's still fun. It just feels silly that one is not allowed to speed without risk of consequence when you're the only car on a 3-lane interstate. Like you literally go 160+ with no risk to anyone else's life. And honestly what sucks is that you could probably do so 95 out of 100 times without getting caught, but if you do the consequences are not worth it.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Indeed. The way I drive is much like in the video above maybe 10 kph or so above whatever everyone else is doing - or whatever the limit is without being stupid reckless.
But if there's a vehicle, any car wants to pass, whether it be a mini van or Hyundai beater I just move to the slow lane.

As a matter of fact I just came back from a 2.5 hour drive: usually take a coffee break at McDonalds or whatever and continue on...
I'm glad I went with this over the STI as so far its pretty stealth and no one has bothered to try to show what's up, aside from an Audi S4 from a middle aged driver that absolutely needed to make sure he was 20+ whatever my speed was lol.

God this car is just so comfortable cruising at whatever speed without that constant itch for "more".

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I gotta say, one of the most awesome feelings in the world is bringing the Charger up to full speed. The 8 speed automatic makes it feel like an airplane ascending to cruise altitude, with how smoothly it shifts. Took her out for a run recently, on a road with no one on it for miles. I put my foot down until I hit the limiter. Perfectly comfortable, if a bit floaty. Unlike any of my other cars, even the German ones, it felt quite composed. I think I need to do some of the Pursuit model upgrades.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Again with the speed thing, but what I love about Audis and BMWs is how comfortable they feel at any speed, especially high speeds. 120 in an A6 feels like 70 in a Japanese car. These cars are built to do 130+ on a regular basis and they do it extremely well. It's too bad we don't get to explore their capabilities here in the States.

My friend recently did 150 in his B7 A4 and it felt perfectly stable at that speed. (That was done on the last mile of a straight highway that no longer leads anywhere due to construction, with zero cars)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Again with the speed thing, but what I love about Audis and BMWs is how comfortable they feel at any speed, especially high speeds. 120 in an A6 feels like 70 in a Japanese car. These cars are built to do 130+ on a regular basis and they do it extremely well. It's too bad we don't get to explore their capabilities here in the States.

My friend recently did 150 in his B7 A4 and it felt perfectly stable at that speed. (That was done on the last mile of a straight highway that no longer leads anywhere due to construction, with zero cars)
The highest speed I've experienced was in the 180-190mph range, topping the list of stupidest things I've done. This was in my friend's brand-new, built up Lime Rock M3. Imagine a bright orange bullet blazing along an empty highway. We were just praying that no blue and red lights would show up in the rearview mirror.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm all about some night time cruises. When I'm home stateside, I'll bail early from an event somewhat often if I'm sober and head up to the canyons and ridge roads around LA. Not that I'm a drunk, but on any given night I am a few fingers in on a scotch. On those where I've spent a few good social hours and managed to mostly abstain, into the car I go, maybe some Kavinsky through the speakers.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm all about some night time cruises. When I'm home stateside, I'll bail early from an event somewhat often if I'm sober and head up to the canyons and ridge roads around LA. Not that I'm a drunk, but on any given night I am a few fingers in on a scotch. On those where I've spent a few good social hours and managed to mostly abstain, into the car I go, maybe some Kavinsky through the speakers.
So you were the guy swerving out of your lane on Mulholland blasting house music!

·
Registered
610 Posts
So you were the guy swerving out of your lane on Mulholland blasting house music!
:lol:

I mean, I'm in southwest Asia right now, but even if I weren't, you can't hear anything over my exhaust, lol. High compression 438 inch stroker C6 Z06, no cats, bullet resonators. It's obnoxious enough that I'm considering doing something about it.

I would like to actually hear more than a trickle of treble. :/

·
Registered
229 Posts
I used to love doing this in Tallahassee.
Had some fun twisty & hilly roads around there. Took drives that took me to Panama City Beach, Georiga, backwoods of FL, all just for the sake of driving w/ the top down.

Now I'm back in Miami, haven't really done any late night stuff but aimless drives happen whenever.
Caught myself going back to the Keys before. Three hour drive to KW, spend about 20 minutes there and head back, just wanted to drive and slam some gears.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is exactly what I love, especially in the city (Prague in my case). Being on the road almost alone, just roaming. No shotgun, only sometimes some 2nd-3rd gear pull.
But unfortunately I also experienced the downside of this. One night when I was coming home I had an accident with a roe deer, on an autobahn at quite high speed. I can tell you I felt much, much worse and shocked than I would expect. Since then I have been driving much slower through areas with wildlife.

Reactions: In AWD We Trust

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After watching every episode of TGUK released thus far, this still has to be my absolute favorite review because it captures the essence of what my favorite motoring past-time is, and only true petrol-heads appreciate. It's not to show-off or not to race, just to enjoy the sheer pleasure of driving.

If you are in love with your car, you will drive it regardless of the purpose.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I love a good night drive, though I dont go as often anymore and prefer the early morning.
Unfortunately I have to be very careful of Kangaroos. I damaged a bumper on an M3 a little while ago when one jumped strait out in front of me. Luckily it was only a little one, big ones can do severe damage.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I heard from a high school teacher man years ago that the Aussie outback roadsides are littered with kangaroo carcasses everywhere. Is this still true?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts