Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a new article from Motor Trend GM plans to make the upcoming Corvette ZR1/Zora a rear wheel drive mid-engine car producing 750-800hp. With the new design set up and performance upgrades this new model will sit above the current Corvette C7/Z06 platforms at price point estimated to be in $250,000 range. If made the Zora will be slotted right up against super cars such as the Mclaren 650s, Ferrari 458, and Lamborghini Huracan. To truly compete with these super cars the Zora will come with a more extravagant interior than that of the C7, which is impressive in its own right. Talks of a mid engine Corvette have been around for years. It will be quite interesting to see if plans for the Zora model comes into fruition.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
250k hahahahaha good luck with that GM

Reactions: chidoks

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
To be viable a 250k Corvette needs to compete with hyper cars, not the super cars mentioned in the OP. This makes me cringe a little bit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This isn't a Z06, ZR1, or anything similar. It'll barely classify as a 'Vette with these changes and the moniker is undoubtedly meant to show there are similarities, but it's a different vehicle altogether. It'll sell. And those that don't buy one at or near sticker will kick themselves later when it's selling for double and triple that price, like the Ford GT.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Worst idea ever.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
no one will pay $250k for a vette.. but if it is an entirely different car with a chevy badge, it might surprise us like the ford gt did

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think this has been rumored before and it never came out. If it were to come out I would think there would be a ZR1 that is still front engine and then possibly this monstrous mid-engine model that gets its own name.

I wouldn't dismiss it even with the $250k price tag until I see what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
no one will pay $250k for a vette.. but if it is an entirely different car with a chevy badge, it might surprise us like the ford gt did
Someone will. They wouldn't build a car knowing that people wouldn't buy it. What is the problem with it being "just a vette"? The Corvette name is iconic. No one batted an eye at the ZR1 over $100k. If they are building a mid-engine car, it will most likely be a very limited production absolute monster. Think of a Mosler MT900. Basically a mid-engined Corvette by a private company for about 200k.

What's worse, a 200k kit car or a 200k factory production car with a warranty?

And lastly, who was surprised by the Ford GT?

Reactions: pip

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Someone will. They wouldn't build a car knowing that people wouldn't buy it. What is the problem with it being "just a vette"? The Corvette name is iconic. No one batted an eye at the ZR1 over $100k. If they are building a mid-engine car, it will most likely be a very limited production absolute monster. Think of a Mosler MT900. Basically a mid-engined Corvette by a private company for about 200k.

What's worse, a 200k kit car or a 200k factory production car with a warranty?

And lastly, who was surprised by the Ford GT?
Why would anyone want a GM car that costs a quarter million dollars?

Corvette is iconic; it is an American sports car that has sold because it is affordable fun with good performance. Would people pay a quarter million for a hyped up Mustang? It's got history and has had more costly high performance packages. Would people pay a quarter million for a Camaro? Same thing.

Reactions: chidoks

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think this has been rumored before and it never came out. If it were to come out I would think there would be a ZR1 that is still front engine and then possibly this monstrous mid-engine model that gets its own name.

I wouldn't dismiss it even with the $250k price tag until I see what it turns out to be.
Pretty sure this has been a rumor about every generation Corvette since the C4.

Can Chevy make a 250k 800hp mid engine'd sports car and find some buyers? absolutely. Will they, could it, and would it be a Corvette? No. At least not in this generation.

·
Registered
237 Posts
When Corvette was first introduce it motives was to aim at blue collar folks in their 40's who want to enjoy their early retirement with an AFFORDABLE sport car, now obviously that shifted or we can blame inflation lol.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Why would anyone want a GM car that costs a quarter million dollars?
Toyota made the LFA for $375k... and newest version is $450k... and people are buying them.

if GM can build a mid engined supercar with a similar level of cutting edge technologies and quality... then $250k isnt that far fetched.

i think people are getting too hung up on the ZR1/vette moniker.... if GM goes to the trouble of building a supercar with an entirely new setup theyve never used before, they likely are not going to slap an old name on it.... by the time it comes out, it will probably have an entirely new name.

Reactions: thejudge

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Toyota made the LFA for $375k... and newest version is $450k... and people are buying them.

if GM can build a mid engined supercar with a similar level of cutting edge technologies and quality... then $250k isnt that far fetched.

i think people are getting too hung up on the ZR1/vette moniker.... if GM goes to the trouble of building a supercar with an entirely new setup theyve never used before, they likely are not going to slap an old name on it.... by the time it comes out, it will probably have an entirely new name.
This is true.

In my feeble mind people want to own a super car that belongs to a manufacturer that only produces refined high performance cars. The prestige of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. is part of the mystique people want to experience when shopping a car like this. I don't want my super car being sold in a car lot sitting next to a Chevrolet Malibu and Volt.

I realize this is snobby, bordering on pretentious. And I also realize there is irony here. After all, Lamborghini is an Audi, Audi is a VW. I'd love a 250k Huracan though. And I imagine many people in the market share my sentiments.

GM should ditch the Chevrolet name for this one and open a new smaller, more exclusive company for this and their other ultra high performance cars. Vaguely like Lexus is to Nissan. Build only a few models and the entire brand now oozes exclusivity and forward thinking. Avoid the image of Chevrolet's mediocrity like the plague.

Reactions: markpetersonii
1 - 20 of 38 Posts