Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see so many exotic car nowadays, and I really think they're becoming more and more "soul-less" as the years go by.

Examples of cars with soul:
Ferrari vehicles have often been referred to as "being a dream that you can buy into."
Lamborghini cars have been outlandish enough to land a spot on your wall as a kid.
Porsche has made mankind's driver's cars forever, creating a true connection between the road and driver.
Rolls Royce has been the epitome of class and a universal indicator of success, with a persona of it's own.
BMW has been a car-maker with driver's vehicles as well, and their entire //M division is one of the most charismatic performance lines in history

In my opinion, two prime examples of cars that lack "soul" would be the Audi R8 and Nissan GT-R. Both are exceptional vehicles to drive and look at, but I feel like they're missing SOMETHING. I can't put my finger on what it is. I know I'll get hanged for saying that, but it's my honest opinion. I love both cars for what they are- sports cars. Neither car makes an emotional appeal to me; I don't think I could love either of them.

The GT-R tells the other kids to go kick rocks in terms of performance and price. The Audi is similar, and you'd be blessed to have either in your garage. I still can't help but feel that they lack a "heart;" even Jeremy Clarkson brought this topic up in the Top Gear episode featuring the R8 and ZR1.

I know I'll get hated on hardcore for this, but I feel the same with the recent products McLaren has come out with. The P1 and MPCs are absolutely beautiful vehicles in terms of performance and technology, but the only words that seem to pop up in my mind are "Cold" and "Race-car." I know they're race-bred machines, but they lack the emotional appeal that would liberate me from the money in my wallet. Both of them look too calculating for my taste.

Please pardon the frequent use of quotation marks, I'm speaking very conceptually.

Is this just BS capitalism and marketing getting into my head? Or am I not alone in my thinking...
Someone tell me I'm not going crazy!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It stemmed from seeing so many photos that people post of their cars.
Answers would be nice, rather than killing my thread.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If you think any of those cars lack soul, you're driving them wrong.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
It stemmed from seeing so many photos that people post of their cars.
Answers would be nice, rather than killing my thread.
I don't mean to be a d-ck, but these threads have been done to death. If you probably posted this on a ferrari or lambo forum site you would most likely get a sh-- storm responses. Unless you've been driving supercars your whole life or a have collection of them going back till the 70s 80s, saying the newer cars have no "soul" is a dumb comment.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't mean to be a d-ck, but these threads have been done to death. If you probably posted this on a ferrari or lambo forum site you would most likely get a sh-- storm responses. Unless you've been driving supercars your whole life or a have collection of them going back till the 70s 80s, saying the newer cars have no "soul" is a dumb comment.
I didn't say all new sports car lack a soul; in fact, I listed more makes with "soul" than cars without them. I gave very specific examples.

Trust, you don't own any of the cars that I listed as being soulless. In fact, all of them are "soulful" cars. TT Lambo? Check. GT? Check. M5? Check. See my point?

Don't come after a new member just because the topic was discussed in the past. I wasn't here for that, so its not very nice that my thread takes the flak. If you've got something to contribute on the topic, go for it. I don't mean to come across like a hardass, but some respect would be nice.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My buddies GT-R is absolutely fvckin bonkers. putting down 800wheel horse. He's buying another. I think that will be next on the list for me as well.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My buddies GT-R is absolutely fvckin bonkers. putting down 800wheel horse. He's buying another. I think that will be next on the list for me as well.
I'd probably buy a NISMO GT-R for the hell of it. GT-R's are one of the best cars EVER for power mods, only thing that sucks is the fact that they're not too pretty. I think it's a very robotic and cold looking car. Now, that's not really a bad thing. For example, I'd prefer a robot making rocket components rather than a person doing it by hand. Same with the car, I'd rather have the computers control my launch, etc.

My idea still holds true: I feel as if some of the "soul" goes away with that. Maybe it's the automation and tech, or maybe it's just marketing. I don't know, and that's why I made this thread- to get some opinions.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'd probably buy a NISMO GT-R for the hell of it. GT-R's are one of the best cars EVER for power mods, only thing that sucks is the fact that they're not too pretty. I think it's a very robotic and cold looking car. Now, that's not really a bad thing. For example, I'd prefer a robot making rocket components rather than a person doing it by hand. Same with the car, I'd rather have the computers control my launch, etc.

My idea still holds true: I feel as if some of the "soul" goes away with that. Maybe it's the automation and tech, or maybe it's just marketing. I don't know, and that's why I made this thread- to get some opinions.

Fair enough, i agree with the looks of the GT-R as well. I watched a documentary on youtube about the GT-R and apparently they're sculpted after the Gundam robots! So, yea you were close there.. Its just the way higher performance vehicles are going.. Just like a tall blonde with an amazing body, Fake rack, Fake lips, Extensions, botox and Lipo, she doesn't have much soul either! ;)

·
Registered
913 Posts
I didn't say all new sports car lack a soul; in fact, I listed more makes with "soul" than cars without them. I gave very specific examples.

Trust, you don't own any of the cars that I listed as being soulless. In fact, all of them are "soulful" cars. TT Lambo? Check. GT? Check. M5? Check. See my point?

Don't come after a new member just because the topic was discussed in the past. I wasn't here for that, so its not very nice that my thread takes the flak. If you've got something to contribute on the topic, go for it. I don't mean to come across like a hardass, but some respect would be nice.
IIRC 'Trust' has actually owned both the cars you said lack soul, he's just moved on... But really its hard to comment on a cars "soul" if you have never owned or driven one.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IIRC 'Trust' has actually owned both the cars you said lack soul, he's just moved on... But really its hard to comment on a cars "soul" if you have never owned or driven one.
I've driven both, and I probably wouldn't buy either. Apparantly they weren't significant enough to stay in his garage...
But you see my point, which is all I was trying to make.

·
Registered
115 Posts
r8 v10 is the same car as gallardo basically. just because you're not a fan of how the r8 looks doesn't mean it's soulless. what is the definition of a car having a soul anyways?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Since I posted the post about the R8, I went and sold a guy a Continental GTC.

His trade was a 14 GTR. Soul less or not, that car is fast as shit.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
The GTR has been given the nickname of Godzilla. If that isn't a persona or soul, then I don't know what is.

I think every car on the planet has a soul, if the owner wants it to have one. If you bond with your car, it has a soul.

If you understand every car is different and has a different purpose or different way to get the best out of it then it has a soul.

You can't see or feel the personality or soul or every car if you're not open to understanding what it is and what it's creator built into it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lamborghini cars have been outlandish enough to land a spot on your wall as a kid.
You have to understand that the R8 and GTR did not exist when you were a kid, so they did not land a spot on your wall. The kids of today's generation are obsessed with both of those cars.

And also I believe that every car has "soul" its just all down to the perspective of the owner.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't put my finger on what it is that gives a car soul. It's a mixture of looks, performance, etc.
Again, the GT-R and R8 are fast cars, and the Godzilla nickname only came because of the car's origin and speed.

Enzo? It's got soul. E30? Got it. S2000? Yep. LF-A? Mhm.
Maybe the word I'm looking for isn't soul, maybe personality is a better one. It's kind of hard to put my emotions into words.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts