Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2010 Audi S5 Prestige. Bone stock right now but I figured I would start with some basic mods. Just have a few questions:

First, springs or wait and do coilovers?

Second, does anyone have any suggestions for spacers? I am looking to get my wheels a little more flush

Finally, does anyone have downpipes and a stock exhaust? I am curious to how just the downpipes would effect the sound.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Just purchased a 2010 Audi S5 Prestige. Bone stock right now but I figured I would start with some basic mods. Just have a few questions:

Second, does anyone have any suggestions for spacers? I am looking to get my wheels a little more flush

Finally, does anyone have downpipes and a stock exhaust? I am curious to how just the downpipes would effect the sound.

Thanks!
Post pics of the car...

1. both will do the trick of lowering the car

2. Spacers are bad, just get aftermarket rims with lower offset

3. why would you start with a down pipe in an exhaust upgrade? do you want better flow or louder exhaust? start with a muffler or resonator delete

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
1. Coils are better because you can adjust the ride height to your liking. If you are mechanically inclined at all, and have access to a garage that you can work in, you can adjust your ride height in an hour. It's a very easy thing to do.

2. Spacers are perfectly fine. If you are going to track the car, then I'd avoid them. Driving it hard on the streets shouldn't be an issue at all. I'm not well versed in Euro products anymore, but I remember H&R being a popular one among the 3 series crowd a few years ago. Search around on Audizine a bit, but typically people will run a 15mm/20mm or 20mm/25mm (front/rear) setup with stock wheels for most cars. It's quite common in a lot of car communities. You'll probably find a million threads about spacers with stock wheels on an S5.

3. There will be a mild sound increase, but nothing compared to mufflers. Just slightly deeper, but it won't be really obvious. You would probably see a slight performance boost, but without a full exhaust/intake/tune, you won't get a lot of gain from it.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
1) Go coilovers. Lowering springs will work, but will wear the shocks prematurely and won't ride as nicely as coilovers. I would grab some KW V1s or similar.

2) H&R is a good choice. Most people go 15F/20R on the S5- that's a good look.

3) Downpipes do make a BIG difference, even with stock catback. Here is a video of stock exhaust with Milltek Non-Resonated downpipes.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Nice post Lindwall.

He's right about everything. Coilovers are a package deal which pair the shock and spring rates to perform optimally, whereas swapping springs isn't balanced. Spacers are a patch for getting a good wheel package, which while expensive versus the cost of new wheels is stronger and opens you up to wheel options. And aftermarket downpipes allow the engine to breath more easily on the exhaust side, which all else equal makes for a throatier exhaust note even with the stock catback.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd go ahead and do full coilovers. Lowering springs will reduce the life of your shocks.

Going with coilovers will give you height adjust-ability, and being able to change you dampening rates (Depending on the coilover you go with).

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts

Thanks!

First off congratulations on the car.

1. As others have stated, coilovers will be your best bet. While springs are cheaper, the shocks will wear prematurely over time. It is also impossible to dial in the exact settings that you may want. I have heard the most positive reviews of the H&R coilovers. Some have complained about noises that seem to come from KW/ST coilovers. Since you are in Chicago, I would recommend staying away from ST coilovers. They are made from galvanized steel as opposed to the stainless steel that the KW's are made from.

2. H&R, ECS, Black Forest Industries, all carry spacers that will work with your vehicle.

3. Why are you leading towards a downpipe first? Most go with a catback. I would try that first. I went with AWE's track exhaust. They also have a touring exhaust which is a little quieter. I heard an AWE track exhaust with downpipes and it was way too loud for my taste. It sounded great but everyone in the neighborhood would hate me and I would get tired of setting off car alarms pulling in the parking deck at work.

·
14,490 Posts
lol. Sama's is the only one I've ever heard of that blew up. I bet it's just a valve, but he likes to make it a huge deal.
That or bad rod bearing/cam which is also not that bad of a repair. I remember driving to bimmerfest years ago as my friend goes by me in his HPF M3 and all the sudden smoke every where. He pulls over and is freaking out that he blew his motor and I keep telling him he spun a bearing and his cams probably a little damaged. He wouldn't believe me at all. He eventually pulled the motor apart and behold. Broken bearing and cam was fine.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
lol. Sama's is the only one I've ever heard of that blew up. I bet it's just a valve, but he likes to make it a huge deal.
I didn't "make it" a huge deal, it could have been a huge deal because nobody knew what the problem actually was.

But yes, it was a broken valve spring and the car is alive and well.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Probably the best would be to get a custom wheel setup, specially since it's an AWD car and you'll have to be carefull to get everything in line with that now. From that on you'll be really satisfied with the looks of that. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
AWD?????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts