Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm new to forum as per the first post!, I'm looking at a few cars and have considered the new Audi A5/S5 as well as the A4/S4, Other vehicles I have on my mind are the 2011 Subaru STI, and BMW 335i

How are the new Audi's reliability and maintenance costs? and reliability, I've heard Audi's have horrid reliability(this is from non-Audi owners) so thought I'd ask people who actually own them, this would be a daily driver for me

Thanks guys, Great Site, Very addictive

·
Registered
28 Posts
maintenance is pretty much the biggest factor towards reliability with the car.

for the record im on the 6th vag vehicle, and reliability has been very very good.

also, if you are looking at a 335i, i assume you are looking at the b8 s4? if so, do it. do it now

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I had the VW cousin of the Audi A4 back in 1998. The multilink suspension had some issues early on, and a couple years later, coil packs were failing. But from around 2003 - 2008, I didn't see much else really bad but they are not like Toyota. The key is regular scheduled maintenance but even then, my VW Passat had little things such as interior trim just fall off at very high heat, the sunroof rails plastic liners deteriorated and gunked up the rails, replaced all control arms, replaced ABS module and ICM module as well just before the tranny started acting up but by then, it was on it's 10th year!!!!

I've had my B8 A5 since June of 2008 and aside from a bad mildew issue in the AC, no real major issues, HOWEVER, there are reports of shimmying of the wheels under certain conditions; some due to wheel balance, some due to different rim offsets or using spacers, and some just because of the same old control arm issues. I'm getting a lot of it since I put in spacers so I need to figure out what to do since I have installed RS6 sized rotors/calipers!!! It's not consistent but it does happen.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
avoid the 2.0T motor... thats all im saying... some guys are having issues over at VWvortex, and i have had a lot of issues with mine. easy to fix, just expensive parts...

i just replaced a cam follower myself, and it costed me $80. VW wanted $500... this is a part that isn't supposed to wear that quickly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I've really leaned towards the STI, but the Audi is so damn hot to look at, Both bring sheer enjoyment while driving having test driven both, have yet to test drive the BMW

·
Registered
461 Posts
Unless you're hell bent on a brand new car, I'd suggest a 2006-2007 STI over the newest model. The wagon is a little piggish and is a little front heavy and thus understeers a tad more than you'd expect.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Great thread. I had for the last six years a B6 A4 1.8t (2006) and the reliability surprised me. Didn't have ANY problems until I hit 62 000 miles. Gas pump, timing belt and thermostat where due for a change. Other than that, no problems whatsoever. German cars tend to be very fragile. I live in Montreal where the roads are VERY ugly + we have cold winters and the car stood up great. I used to beat this car up every time I drove it. I recently bought a 2010 S4 and it's amazing. I drove the 335xdrive and the s4 is way better in every way (performance, build quality, overall design). All the car journalists say the S4 is the best. See for yourself.

Heres my previous audi

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'll chime in as well and also say that if you take care of your Audi by following the maintenance schedule, you should have minimal issues. Honestly, all the vehicles you are looking at will require a little more care than your average car given they all have high compression turbo engines. Like 289FIA_Cobra, I have had the A4 cousin for the last ten years and it's been a solid car. Aside from regular maintenance, I've only had to replace one sensor (MAF), vacuum lines (very cheap and easy), two CV boots, a hazard switch, an oil dipstick and boot, and a PCV valve.

Out of all your choices, I wouldn't rule anything out based on repair rates. They all are going to be similar in that regard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts