Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a promotion at work and i need a new watch. I have a budget of 3k but i would rather get something cheaper to balance it off. I drive a 325ci so i need something that coult fit right into my lifestlyle so people dont think its a fake watch or think im am trying to pretend i have money yet it still has to look nice and professionnal lol

Watches i really like :

Panerai (most of them)
Rolex sumbariner

Domain : Personal Banking/investing/borrowing

Given these criterias, what should i get ?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Panerai would be a nice choice, but for 3k its dicey to get anything new. Something about Rolex screams old man to me (sorry to the fans). Its also about how much attention do you want. Since most people will not know what the hell a Panerai is unless they are watch nerds like us.

Personally I am huge fan of Perrelet. If you search you can find one for just above your price range

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Panerai would be a nice choice, but for 3k its dicey to get anything new. Something about Rolex screams old man to me (sorry to the fans). Its also about how much attention do you want. Since most people will not know what the hell a Panerai is unless they are watch nerds like us.

Personally I am huge fan of Perrelet. If you search you can find one for just above your price range

I dont really like the one you posted. As for panerai's i found a few ones on ebay close to my budget !

PANERAI Pam 048 PAM048 Luminor Marina 40mm Gents watch on eBay.ca (item 320564688108 end time 20-Aug-10 05:04:55 EDT)

Panerai PAM 112 i Luminor Marina Base 44mm Manual Wind on eBay.ca (item 230510525456 end time 10-Sep-10 14:02:44 EDT)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I would look at pre-owned and I would NOT shop on ebay (too many scams). Shop around on the WIS sites for established owner and traders for best pricing.

watchuseek.com
timezone.com
watchnet.com

My other advice is, you are 21, buy a $1K watch and invest the rest or put it towards paying off your car or any other dept.

·
7,022 Posts
^ Those are pre-owned. If you are OK with that (post indicates you want new) then there are several Base PAM's in that range. Depending on your wrist size, I'd seriously have 2nd thoughts about a 40 mm choice. As far as 'work' goes, what is your attire? I love the 112, but as a daily and if you're a 'suit', then a 183 may be better. Those are for sale left and right all day long for 3500-4k. GOod luck.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
For sub-3k IMO the 45.5mm Omega Planet Ocean. Looks a lot like a Rolex Submariner. It's understated and classy.

·
7,022 Posts
Other good options include Ball, Baume and Mercier, Maurice Lacroix.

If you wanna get a couple to cover all needs, hard to beat Hamilton and Tissot.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would look at pre-owned and I would NOT shop on ebay (too many scams). Shop around on the WIS sites for established owner and traders for best pricing.

watchuseek.com
timezone.com
watchnet.com

My other advice is, you are 21, buy a $1K watch and invest the rest or put it towards paying off your car or any other dept.
Thank you for the advice. The reason why i was looking at watches around 3-4K is because they tend to keep their value more or depreciate less IMO

^ Those are pre-owned. If you are OK with that (post indicates you want new) then there are several Base PAM's in that range. Depending on your wrist size, I'd seriously have 2nd thoughts about a 40 mm choice. As far as 'work' goes, what is your attire? I love the 112, but as a daily and if you're a 'suit', then a 183 may be better. Those are for sale left and right all day long for 3500-4k. GOod luck.
Yes my attire is full suit all time whenever i work ! I do not mind pre owned but i do care about re sale value at some point of my life !

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Thank you for the advice. The reason why i was looking at watches around 3-4K is because they tend to keep their value more or depreciate less IMO

Yes my attire is full suit all time whenever i work ! I do not mind pre owned but i do care about re sale value at some point of my life !
I have a Tag Heuer Monaco Chrono I will sell you if you're interested. Black face, black leather deploy strap. PM me if you want.:)

-Wes

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
This was my first $1k+ watch and it's still my favorite:

They retail at about $9k, but you can find a nice used one for about $3.5k. The movement is really incredible and was used in the Rolex Daytona as well as a Panerai Chrono. I have had other nice watches since this one, but there's something about the high beat (36,600 bpm) and complications for the price that make this hard to beat.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Domain : Personal Banking/investing/borrowing
So you'll be sitting in a branch at a desk on the platform?

Buy various watches instead of one expensive one. Different watches for different suits. I have various watches and not all go with every suit. My french cuffed shirts are generally a little tighter around the wrist so I wear a Movado instead of my Breitling. I would rather wear my Lum-Tec with brown strap to match my shoes for the day. If I'm in a blue suit, I like the look of Rose Gold. Although a nice Pam could go with everything, it could be a big watch to rock everyday and with every suit.

In banking, adapt to the customer that you will be going out to see for the day. For contractors, I'd rather show up to their place of business without a jacket in my truck than my car. If I'm going into Los Angeles, I should drive the Porsche....unless I'll be in bumper to bumper the whole way then I would rather be in the Accord....but again, it all depends on who you will see for the day.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
or bell and ross too

and i agree with the different watches too.

as you can tell, watches are a big topic for people with money.

·
7,022 Posts
You may even be able to find a used GO that would be sweet.

I have mixed feelings about 1 watch versus several. As a 'watch guy' I prefer quality over quantity. But, if its to a functional accessory to compliment your job situation as stated earlier, then I see that point. I'm just glad I get to wear PJ's to work most of the time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts