1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Nobody makes true high end sports car (other than Porsche) in the 110-160 range which I think would be the most desirable price point for those that can just afford a 5-10yr old supercars but don't want the reliability/cost of ownership issues.
The only difference between a 160k car and a 260k car is the price.

Everything offered at the quarter mil price point can also be offered for 100k less with a little effort, maybe not mclaren but everyone else

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Nobody makes true high end sports car (other than Porsche) in the 110-160 range which I think would be the most desirable price point for those that can just afford a 5-10yr old supercars but don't want the reliability/cost of ownership issues.

Everything offered at the quarter mil price point can also be offered for 100k less with a little effort, maybe not mclaren but everyone else
You've officially lost it...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You've officially lost it...
So the difference between the R8 & gallardo is 60% more car?

BTW SL63 and Granturismo are not sports cars, I had a GTS 4.7 and was not even a remotely a sports car, just an italian GT car.
Porsche is the only manufacture producing REAL sports cars in that price range with the gt3 & turbo. Astons Vantage is still a sports luxury car and not anywhere near the level of r8 v10 or 911 as a sports car.

Vipers are 110k unless you over pay, local client of mine owns a dodge dealer and is doing 10 off sticker even since nobody wants on. Cool looking car and could be a contender but I havent driven on so I have no opinion.

ZR1 came in under priced (overly expensive z06) or a base corvette with 70k of options if you look at it like that.

Nobody has anything but audi and porsche in that range. Im talking a base car starting in that range, of course you can add 50k worth of options should you choose. Lotus & bmw are more than capable to present a REAL contender in the 150 range

·
Registered
545 Posts
Probably the same boring old 3.8L V8TT. Let me know when McLaren makes something interesting.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I guess the upcoming P13 is going to be in this particular price range. The 650S should cost around 300k.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Looking forward to this. I loved the MP4-12c and REALLY love the P1, excited to see their next batch of cars.

·
Registered
545 Posts
yup, that 3.8 sounds real boring. Also nothing interesting about the P1 at all.
I know you're joking, but this is exactly how I and many others feel. They are robots in a world full of interesting people. If you believe speed is all that makes a car good then you can get it for much cheaper than the P1.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I don't even want to start a pissing contest because when it comes down to it, it is just a matter of opinion. However, this statement:

...is lunacy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lunacy indeed.

Often in sports cars, a big chunk of the price you pay is from engineering and developing the car!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
what you are mainly paying for is to put diesel in the CEO's yacht and exclusivity for low production numbers. economy of scale, and it doesn't need to be a factor of 100 to sell a base 458 for 160k instead of 225.

FYI, toyota spends more on engineering and testing on a corolla than ferrari does to develop a new car.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
To add to it just look at what lambo has been doing. Same car since (02-03 overseas) with some teaks like bumpers gearbox interior bits but 80% of the car is the same for over 10 production yrs. Thats what 5k cars a yr for 10yrs.

Im not saying theres no difference in cost but the lions share of the difference between a R8, 991TT & a gallardo is marking/exclusivity/slightly lower production numbers. Not like they make 50,000 R8's a year do they.

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yeah, not sure how I feel about it. The front doesn't really match the rear now.
Exactly what I was thinking, they shouldve updated the rear if they went ahead and re did the front.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts