Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I am looking to purchase my first self-paid car/truck, and I needed some advice. I have a decent amount of money saved up for it, with around $20k budgeted and have a $25k car for trade-in. That puts me at around $45,000 all-in but I would like to stay well below that number, that's quite a bit for me to spend on a car at this moment in time. I am considering buying either a less-expensive new car or getting an older used car and having a large amount of spending money for maintenance, expenses, and modification. My current list reads:

New Cars/trucks:
Subaru BRZ
Mustang V6
Mini Cooper S
Dodge Challenger
Dodge Charger
Chevrolet Camaro
Mazda Miata
Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Jeep Wrangler

Used Cars:
Cadillac XLR
E46 BMW M3
E39 BMW M5
Mercedes Benz CLS
Mercedes Benz G500
Porsche Boxster S
Infiniti G37
Chrysler Crossfire
Saturn Sky
Pontiac GTO
Subaru Impreza WRX STI
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo

Used Trucks:
Chevrolet 2500HD (Duramax/Allison)
Chevrolet Avalanche

What are your opinions? What do YOU think I should do?

I am happy with my current hand-me-down car (2009 Jaguar XJR) but the styling of it and the lack of reliability is beginning to make me want a different car. I have a good amount of driving experience and have never been in an accident. I have a lot of experience driving 500+HP cars on both the track and the road. Since this is So Cal, I don't really need to worry about RWD handling in adverse weather, so AWD isn't important to me unless it's a performance car.

I apologize for the long thread.

Thank you,
Matt

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
My father has a 2004 Pontiac GTO. I haven't driven it very often, but when I do, I am always annoyed by the fact that it tries to force you to go straight from 1st to 4th.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I just got (5 days ago) a new vw Jetta SEL for my wife's dd-ing it's fully loaded push start/stop, heated seats, navi all leather inside........25k out the door she couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a bit afraid of the GTO, but it's a beast for the price. I heard the suspension is awful and that a coilover conversion is a must. First I've heard of the transmission gear issue, but it seems like a good indication of the car's quality.

And regarding the STI, the price is a little on the high side with the options I'd like, and I have heard stories of terrible reliability from a friend who owns one. I'll definitely reconsider it though, it I go that route modding will be a must.

I completely forgot about the IS-F, will look into it for sure. Another option I thought of is the Cadillac CTS-V.

E: I'm waiting to see what Volkswagen does for 2014 regarding their 5 cyl engine, I get flashbacks of GM's 5 cylinder engines and I really don't want to go down that road lol.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
How are we supposed to take this seriously when your range of vehicles spans such a broad range of vehicle categories? Do you honestly want input contrasting a used CLS against a Mini Cooper against a Chevy Avalanche? This doesn't take into consideration taxes, insurance, fuel expenditure, maintenance costs, or anything else, either.

My suggestion is you start looking at reasonable practical transportation. Get a Mazda 3, a VW Golf, or something along those lines with proven reliability, low maintenance costs, and good resale. No one made money by spending tons on cars, so start off slow and allocate what you don't spend on savings and investment.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I'm waiting to see what Volkswagen does for 2014 regarding their 5 cyl engine, I get flashbacks of GM's 5 cylinder engines and I really don't want to go down that road lol.
While the VW 5-cylinder is reliable, it gets comparatively poor fuel economy and is being discontinued beginning with this coming model year in favor of the new turbo fours.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Revised list:
Subaru BRZ
Mustang V6
Dodge Challenger V6
Chevrolet Camaro V6
Mazda Miata Club Hardtop convertible
Hyundai Genesis Coupe
E46 BMW M3
Porsche Boxster S
Infiniti G37
Saturn Sky Redline
Subaru Impreza WRX STI

I got rid of all the SUVs and trucks, because the campus parking situation is not good and 15MPG doesn't strike my fancy, in retrospect. Can we keep this in the category of sporty small sedans and coupes? I removed a couple cars because of part availability as well. Please do not consider the costs related to the cars, but just the vehicle cost alone. I apologize for the previously wide range.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
What are your priorities in cars, i.e. make a list of what you need in descending order (# of doors, cargo, fuel economy, power etc) and be realistic of what you will actually do with the car.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I'm gonna suggest a used G37x... Being in school I'm sure you drive buddies around and 4 doors is nice to have

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it's going to be my daily commuter car and also be my "toy" for weekends, etc.
Gas mileage should be at least 20mpg overall. It should be able to hold at least one normal sized luggage and a small backpack, be decently reliable, have navigation as an option, and have parts readily available. Automatic transmission and being easy to work on are pluses but not mandatory. I'd like it to look classy and somewhat "mature." I don't want too much power, around 300hp max. Something that's kinda important is interior room, I'm a bigger guy at 6'3 and a bit less than 200 lbs, so I value interior space. I'm ok with "snug" interiors but I don't want to not fit lol.
Another option is the S2000.

E: why the G37x? Does the AWD make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Mature...and STI. Go for hatchback then.

G37 coupe? You'll hate the low head clearance and useless trunk space. I'm almost a foot shorter than you and still find it somewhat confined.
Its 330 hp doesn't translate into the speed the figures suggest. Sedan may be better and there's tons of them on the market on the cheap cheap.
Consider a new Q50 non-sport for under $40k...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You're going to get countless suggestions on what type of car, but I'm going to give you a lifestyle suggestion. Don't spend all of your budget on the vehicle, regardless of what it is. Keep cash. Instead, purchase moderately, and use the new vehicle as an opportunity to build credit. You'll later thank yourself.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Regarding the G37x, how much of a difference it makes in handling and power delivery? And I'm actually liking the G37 sedan
DSC_1844.jpg

A bit gaudy but pretty nice right?

E: I'm not planning on spending all the money on the car, I'm planning on using the car trade in + cash on top. I'll probably go the used route and buy a low mileage car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, side question:
How was the Volkswagen Phaeton? Is it worth looking into? I've always been fascinated by the power air vents lol.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
G37 > Q50 in terms of value. Q50 has lots of issues with the dual screens.
Some dealers are giving like $10k off a brand new G37.

The X AWD is ATTESA based I think. If anything, it retards the power delivery compared to RWD. Any AWD system takes away drive train power.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I suggested the G37 because its 4 doors and still a fun car to drive. Its comfortable, and as mentioned you can find one with low miles for cheap

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What's the reasoning for the awd suggestion then? :eek:

Definitely considering the Infiniti G models now.

Lol still have my side question regarding the Phaeton haha.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts