Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the begining of year I bought Laco Pilot B Miyota. Initially I was quite happy about purchase (my previous review you can find here -> http://www.luxury4play.com/watches/46454-got-today-my-new-laco-flieger.html), but over the time I started to think that Laco mineral crystal looks a bit cheap (no AR coating) and miyota's movement makes just too much of rattling noises.
So I started to look for my 'perfect' pilot watch. It was clear that it should be:
- sized between 39-42mm
- sapphire chrystal with AR coating
- nice movement (e.g. ETA or similar)
- B-type dial (A type dials in general I find too plain looking)
- priced under 1k EUR/USD (because it would be weekend 'beater' type of watch for me)
Did quite extensive search, but ended up with nothing, because two of my final candidates both had a faults (Stowa's B-type watch is without AR coating) and Steinhart's Pilot watch is just a little too big (44mm). At that point I dropped my price limitation and went to check out IWC Pilot Mark XVI. Again a bit of dissapointment, because on my wrist it looked just a bit too small and plain (hard to justify price tag).
So one day on ebay I noticed watch that actually matched to all my requirements, except it was dial type 'A'. But because there is small seconds hand it somehow looked just right for me. I've never heard of this brand before, but small research revealed that it's known german watchmaker among dive watch fans in WUS. So I bought it - Kemmner Flieguhr "A' mit swiss Unitas 6498-1.

Nice, simple wooden box ->

Strap has nice 'heavy-duty' feel ->

Beautiful Unitas movement - 'geneva' stripes and blued screws ->

Easy to read dial, because of internal AR coating. ->

And 'mandatory' wrist shot ->

First impression is really good. Quality-wise it really feels similar to what you would expect from IWC or Breitling level brands. My only complaint would be about lume - I was expecting that it'll be a bit brighter (it's Luminova C1). Another observation - it "wears" bigger than stated 42mm, but luckily still OK for my wrist.

So that's it for now :whistle:

Specifications:
- hand-wound movement Unitas 6498-1 soigné swiss made, 36.6 x 4.5 mm, 18.000 A / h, 17 jewels, 45h reserve.
- high quality three-piece stainless steel case SG8210, polished, diameter (without crown) 42.0 mm, height 10.7 mm, screwed-narrow 45-degree top-ring with a curved, interior anti-reflective sapphire crystal 1.6 mm thick, rounded 8.00 mm diamond crown 22 mm of width, screwed back with sapphire glass, engraved with consecutive numbers, water resistant to 5 ATM = 50 meters.
- flieger dial matt black, strongly luminescent in white superluminova C1, hands filled with black frame, white with SL C1
- strap: light brown aviator Volume 5 mm thick, leather, waterproofed with 2 rivets on the watch face and a stud on the end of the long strip part or steel bracket on the side of the buckle

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some comparison photos with other 42mm 'friends' :)
Laco Pilot B Miyota, Kemmner Flieguhr 'A', Breitling Navitimer A13322.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
really dig this. Always liked the pilot watches.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
nice watch.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
ah I really want this...maybe xmas gift to myself. Link to buy?

·
THE ONLY MAN THAT CAN™
23,169 Posts
I like the look of it for under 1k, as you said it reminds me of an IWC.

·
5,744 Posts
Is his ebay store the only place to purchase?

-Markus-

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I like the look of it for under 1k, as you said it reminds me of an IWC.
Isnt the the BP just another Pilot watch? Not "just" but I mean weren't they just one of the original companies who made that style watch?

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
when you get bored and want to sell it, let me know. I want it. I cant find them for sale anywhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts