Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nevada candidate proposes pay-to-speed plan | HULIQ

Anyone who has ever travelled LA to Vegas knows people already do this speed anyways; why not make some mullah?

Submitted by Sandy Smith on 2010-09-05

In order to fill his cash-strapped state's coffers, Nevada gubernatorial candidate Eugene "Gino" DeSimone has come up with a novel proposal: A payment of $25 would be fine for speeding.

That's correct: Nevada motorists would be able to pay for the privilege of doing up to 90 miles per hour on certain state roads. The $25 fee would allow a motorist to drive at 90 for a 24-hour period from the time of payment.

The independent candidate says his proposal, which he calls the "free limit plan," would bring in $1 billion a year for the state treasury.

Nevada state troopers cool to pay-to-speed proposal
In order to be eligible for the program, a driver's car would have to pass a state safety inspection. Vehicle information would then be loaded into a database, and the motorist would have to purchase a transponder.

Once the motorist's account is set up and the transponder activated, the driver could call a number, charge $25 to a credit or debit card, and enjoy legal speeding for 24 hours.

The Nevada Highway Patrol is cool on the proposal, saying it would lead to increased highway deaths. Highway safety studies have shown that traffic accidents and fatalities both increase as average highway speeds increase.

Source: Associated Press

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
soooooo...how much for 140+

·
Registered
73 Posts
What happens if you purchase the pass. But get clocked at 100mph? Would it just be a ticket for ten over or what the posted speed limit is plus. Something they don't mention that would be worth checking into if you plan to purchase it.

And if they stacked each other...golden. Could you imagine going 140+ without the need to worry!

John

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
..He is running for NV govenor? I have never heard of the guy, or this?

*edit* it is definitely an interesting proposal, but there is no way Nevada residents elect an independent; this state will remain red.

·
Registered
790 Posts
An American Autobahn? Not likely in our lifetimes, but turning that stretch into a toll road with no speed limit would be the stuff dreams are made of. :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I like Schmidty have never heard of this guy. I highly doubt anything like this will ever pass. In theory it sounds great but this just leads to the possibility of them turning the transponder on whenever they want amongst other legal and ethical issues.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
i'd vote for him in a heartbeat on that one issue.

(of course, there are other issues - the speeding one presented above; does the transponder keep track of your speed? if you're capped at 90, i'll take my chances.)

- chuck

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I think the current limit is 75 which means you can do 80 safely. So this just buys another 10-15 mph?

I dunno if you can sustain driving 90-95 mph on that route. There is usually trucks and traffic unless you travel at night. Blasting 90-95 at night will probably incurr additional fatality given low visibility.

·
Registered
519 Posts
While it's a novel idea, it's no where near the point to be implemented. Too many
variables.

They are sitting on a gold mine if they only were to pull their heads out of their keesters.

I thought of this a few years ago, and I came up with this. Set up a new license endorsement option.

Example, if you have a NASA, SCCA, or FIA license, (this ensures you are properly trained and know how to handle your vehicle) you can opt to pay a fee for a simple endorsement on your license. (Renewable every year, just like your normal license fee, but in addition to the standard cost) So lets say, 100 bucks a year gets you a unlimited speed rated license. Then you have to have whatever vehicle you'll be doing speed above the posted limits in, inspected annually (50-100 fee annually.)

So, it increases revenue for the state, and encourages and rewards those who pursue education and skill improvement for driving, making the roads safer overall.
________
Best Price Volcano Vaporizer

·
Registered
390 Posts
You still have the issue that people don't drive right and pass left. Fix that first, then this could work.

Simple current laws need to be enforced before this works.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts