Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some ideas. My dad who has never been into watches at all now loves the look and feel of my PAM 111.

His birthday is coming up, and of course this seems to be the best gift idea, however he has no interest in the name/prestige, etc of a watch; just the function and appearance. He would probably flip out over the cost.

So heres where I was looking for some help. I showed him some different styles online and he likes PVD finished models the most. He has a very big wrist (9") and would be wearing the watch while working - (Boeing C-17 Mechanical Engineer) so it might take a beating.

Obviously I don't want to spend thousands of $$ - so is there something out there that would meet the criteria above? I know there are homages out there, but never dealt with those and I'm not sure if that is frowned upon? :bitenails:

All opinions and suggestions are welcome. My ideal price range is around the $500 mark.

Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only LT's he liked were the M Tungstens. About double the price range though.

No dice on the combats, that was my first goto watch that I was hoping would work, mainly because of the look, especially with a NATO strap to accomodate his wrist size!

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Lum tec M series, same look as the tungsten but in the price range you are looking.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Lum Tech M19 I'm a service mechanic and this is what I wear as my daily beater. :bow1:

·
Registered
63 Posts
go for a tw steel

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
^ i tried one on over the weekend, real nice watch.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
i stopped by SOL TIME. don't know if ya got those out west.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Edit...just re-read your original message. At 500 dollar max look at the bottom. Citizen has some decent Eco Drive PVD watches.

Hamiltion X-mach.

Hamilton Seaview

Hamilton BelowZero

If you just want something that looks nice but is cheaper...

Citizen Nighthawk PVD

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I got a TW Steel from David at Cavallino, one of the sponsors here. I also got reamed by some pure bloods who declared my watch, which is definitely very strongly influenced by RM, is a fake and that homage=fake. have learned to keep my mouth shut on this slippery issue and generally when buying at that price point I focus on Japanese watches. Nonetheless, heres the picture of the offender, tho I don't mean to tick anyone off by showing it. The case is extremely well made.

·
10,594 Posts
Their are a lot of people here that don't know jack about watches. While your TW definately has some obvious RM styling cues it is not a fake, replica or a hommage. In addition, Fake is not even close to = Hommage.

·
10,594 Posts
Well...buying quartz is a whole separate other watch sin. I will say its nice not having to have something on a winder or frequently adjusting the time/date deviations.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was considering some Citizen watches too, Costco actually always carries a few different models.

Yeah I don't know how homages are viewed by most, I could easily pick up a sterile 44mm "Marina Militare" style watcch for under a hundred bucks, auto and/or handwind models...

The quality is what I'm unsure of also...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Have you thought about an Ocean-7? They have some nice PVD #'s and are well put together and have a nice size etc to them. Also look at the Helson in the PVD, the shark diver is good looking and with the lug width (24mm)you can also put some nice straps on there too to give it even more of a Panerai feel to it, and with the myota movement it is an automatic in the $550 range and has a saphire crystal.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
what about omega? they made some bad ass space watches... Guess i am trying to stay with the whole air theme

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just got the Omega iPhone app and was checking out their offerings. I have never bought an Omega though so I'm unsure of their pricing; also do they have anything PVD?

I'll be browsing our sponsor's sites to find out what I can. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts