Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am interested in photography and learning more about different techniques. These photos I have posted are
extremely stunning and would love to know some tips/hints that make these photos. What is also a good camera I should start out with.

All these photos are amazing. I dont want to know how you did these photos but what I can do to later on attempt to take
Beautiful pictures like these. If any of these photographers want there pictures down please pm and It will right away.

Thanks L4P bros. :clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
223 Posts
practice practice practice! I started out shooting with Nikon, any of their entry level or pro-sumer digital SLRs are a good place to start. Taking good pictures is a skill and an art in itself, but don't underestimate the amount of work that goes into post processing too, I'd recommend getting a program like Adobe Lightroom to edit your photos.

Photography tips and techniques: articles and guides from Photo.net is a great resource, I'd recommend it to anyone just starting out with photography. I'm always looking at other peoples' work to see what I can do differently, better, or as good.

one thing that really helped me when I was starting out was asking for critiques of my work.
g'luck,
Chris

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
canon 40d

canon 50mm 1.8

canon 70-200

canon 28-135

these are the first things you should have when starting out in my opinion

if i had to choose one of those as an all around great lense to start with it would be the 28-135

·
Registered
57 Posts
Depending on what you want to shoot, some cameras have an advantage over others. I shoot track photography so I need fast AF and high burst rate. if you aren't shooting that kind of stuff any basic DSLR and a decent lens will take you far.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Buy a DSLR and a 50mm 1.8 prime, and buy 2 flashguns. If your with nikon its easy, D7000 or D90 if you cant afford latter, which has CLS built in, 2x nikon sb600, which you can fire via cls using the pop up flash, which you can tape over so it doesnt affect the shot. and a 50mm 1.8D lens.

With canon you have to mess around with pocket wizards, as long as your flash lights have line of sight the nikon system is far easier.

The 50mm will teach you depth of focus, and that you can use your feet to get closer or further away. Then teach yourself to nail exposure in Aperture, shutter and manual modes, and how ISO speed effects them.

When you learn all that you can reward yourself with fast expensive glass and then go full frame to take advantage of it.

I could be wrong but i will attempt to dissect this image :

http://i53.tinypic.com/epgju1.jpg

I would guess aparture priority, about F5.6, focus point on females eye, he hasnt used the middle focus point on the camera and he is sitting or lying down with the camera twisted to get that perspective.

Artificial flash was used however you could get that look with a 24L on full frame canon.

In the end it takes tons of practice to get these shots, you learn aperture, shutter speed, then white balance comes along and confuses the situation. Eventually you can shoot in full manual mode and nail the shot in the first 3 shots!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Photography is about experience taking shots and then post production editing. It's about trying different things to get the result you are looking for. I've only used the PNS cameras for casual photography of family, etc but would like a bit more sophisticated equipment mainly to take high quality photos for my website and marketing materials, etc. Going to save up and start cheap with a Cannon Rebel and get some shutter time before I upgrade. Currently I have a Nikon Coolpix L22 12MP for "family use".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts