Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys :laugh:

I live in Long Beach right now and I am looking for a car, because public transportation doesn't get me that far. I am an international student and unfortunately not ballin' on budget, so I can spend 1500$max.
I am just looking through craigslist every once and a while and most of the cars offered are Ford Explorers, Chrysler/Dodge Vans and older Benz S-Classes (W126 and W140) and BMW 5series (E34). I would be fine with all of these vehicles, just dont want a small Toyota Corolla or anything similar. I know from home (Germany) that the Benzes and Bimmers are super reliable, however most of the cars advertised just look super abused :( I am not worried about paint job or smaller dents, I just want a car that runs and is reliable.
I am thankful for any advice and recommendations, so feel free to express your thoughts.

Just saw that one online.

1992 BMW 525i E34

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Duff man,

If you're OK with a five speed, check out the e28 model years. The 528e's motor is bullet proof, and they can run for upwards of 250K. Just try to look for thats had acceptable service. The motor is a lower revving detuned version of BMW's m20, and the only weak point is its a timing belt motor. There are some good looking ones on LA craigslist, some auto too.

Check out:
los angeles all for sale / wanted classifieds "bmw 528e" - craigslist

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
There's a couple of E36's going for 1500 if you look around really well, good luck on you're search.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
This might sound silly but try to pick up a used a4 1.8t. If taken care of the seem to last well. We bought one for my wife to commute in and it had 220k on the odo when we got it, 260+ now on it. That or an old gti.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Would go for a e34 if you can. 525 preferably. Usually works like a charm without any problems. Guess it can be hard to find a nice example in US for $1500. Older Volvo's is a good choice if you can find one too. Like 240 or 740.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
You could score a decent bicycle for that price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts