Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The read is a little long but it gives you an idea of what I'm doing with my free time...

I had a conversation with my friend Nick “The Ghost” a few weeks ago and he told me how he wanted to start a project car to showcase his fabrication and building skills. He wanted to bring in some more customers to his new shop and figured showing people what he's capable of rather than just telling them was the perfect way to advertise. He pitched a few ideas (old school Volvo with an LSX motor, a widebody Miata with a turbo Honda S2000 motor, and even a 2JZ Corvette) and all though they all seemed pretty cool, none really drew my attention. As I was having this conversation with him I walked by my dad's 1987 Mercedes Benz and stopped, took a picture, and sent it to him in a text along with the message “ What about this?” He replied, “Ls7 Benz? Or new e63 engine?” That's all it took. From that moment I knew I wanted to build a Mercedes.

When I was younger, I remember dad took me out one night in his 560SEL. Dad drove to the end of the street near his office and turned the car around. Then, he looked at me and with a grin on his face he said, “Let's see what this baby can do.” And off we went. The automatic transmission shifted perfectly, with the windows down and the moon-roof open wind threw me back in the passenger seat as the needle passed 60, 70, 80. And then right before the rush and excitement was over I caught a glimpse of the cluster: 100 MPH. I can honestly say that was one of the most exhilarating moments I have ever shared alongside my dad. So there you have it. Merely because of my childhood memories of the S-class cars I have chosen one as my project car.

As luck would have it, I found a candidate pretty quickly on Craigslist: A 1990 Mercedes Benz 300SE with 130,938 original miles in what seemed to be extremely good condition for its age. I test drove the car and a few days later had it titled in my name.

The main goal/purpose of this build is to have a FUN and RELIABLE car for the next rally I will be participating in. As some of you know, I participated in the "Dustball Rally 2000: Dallas - Miami" this past summer and had an absolute blast. March 2014 I will be doing the "DBR 1000: El Paso - Los Angeles" and then the August 2014 "DBR 2000: Austin - Chicago."

Progress:
I dropped off the car at my friend's shop on Monday 12/23.
Purchased so far -
* Stock LS3 w/ 40k out of an '09 C6
* 6L90 six speed auto
* Misc. bits and pieces we'll be needing

1/7/14:
Original motor and tranny have been pulled

Test fitting LS3. Will need front sump oil pan and a little ingenuity for a rack and pinion steering setup.

I'm no expert when it comes to the mechanical stuff, which is why he'll be handling all of that. What I CAN tell you right now is that a man with the initials GG is currently working on the heads for my motor and has already suggested the cam we go with. Looking to stay NA and somewhere around 450 rwhp.

I'll post updates here as they happen.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone with a keen eye, you'll notice two different sets of wheels on the car. The one's from the first picture are the original 16's that came with it. The other set is the 15's I took off my dad's S-Class because they had brand new tires and mine were dry rotted.

Thanks, dad ;)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
This is a cool project. Any plans to cosmetic mods or just mechanical?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I appreciate builds like this because I would have never thought about a swap like that in a chassis of an old S class..

Keep it up! keep us updated!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
very awesome build!

keep us posted on the progress!

I love old Benzes, my dad had several when I was growing up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cosmetic so far includes some 17x8.5 original AMG 5-spoke wheels, euro headlights, lowering a bit and redoing the 20 year old tint.

Here's the mock up for my new steering setup. Changing to rack and pinion to make it all work in harmony!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to the genius people at USPS, my euro headlights took about 2 weeks to arrive. When they arrived they were damaged so seller was kind enough to send me another set. Guess what? They lost them! After 2 more weeks of going back and forth,
They finally found them under a pile of boxes.

Oh... And my oil pan came in today :D

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
There's an LS-swapped 70's-model 280 that runs at a semi-local track. I like that it's unassuming. Cool project you've got going, for sure.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's an LS-swapped 70's-model 280 that runs at a semi-local track. I like that it's unassuming. Cool project you've got going, for sure.
Thanks. Seems like a lot more people are doing these swaps lately (that doesn't make it any cheaper though!).

Mine will be more oriented towards being a fun cruiser than a 1/4 mile monster.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please post lots of pictures! Going to be an awesome project
I definitely will as soon as I actually see the car in person. It's being built in Houston and I haven't been back since I dropped it off. I'll take some detailed pics when I go see the progress. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow the oil pan looks amazing, can you say some details about it? Is it custommade for your project?
My friend/mechanic is the one handling this whole build. I'm the one picking the small details but the more mechanical stuff is up to him. All I know about that oil pan is that it's the same one used in the Nissan 240 LS swaps. Apparently it's from a kit but it looks very well made (from the picture I received and posted).

I'm pretty anxious to visit Houston and see the progress in person.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haven't really talked to Nick lately, but he did send me this pic. yesterday. Motor is out to do the heads, cam, etc. and the bay will be getting cleaned up a little. Twenty three years will build up some gunk!

New pan installed:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts