Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been an entrepreneur at heart since I was a kid and I always stuck around certain fields, mainly cars, watches, and technology. I already hold a car related job while attending university in SoCal, but I am noticing that the younger generation, my generation, isn't as enthusiastic about watches. I look at watches like art, like most enthusiasts do, so it's a shame seeing kids straying away from this field.

The spawn of my enthusiasm starts with Panerais. I can't get enough of the classic style and shape of the watch. Panerai, in my opinion, has a Porsche effect. What I mean by that is that PAM took this simple shape and design and turned it into something so much more. I have been the formal introduction of Panerai to many college students and most are left stunned at how incredible such a simple watch looks.

Although my intended market cannot afford to spend thousands on a watch, yet, there are so many brands that offer incredible styles for a lower price tag that I don't see a problem reintroducing classy looking watches back into college campuses. I don't have the funds to open a brick&mortar near my campus yet, but I'm taking steps which is all that matters.

I told thsiao that I wouldn't advertise until I have 100 posts in order to comply with L4P rules so all I will say is that I have decided to start off by hand selecting and selling hand made Italian leather PAM straps. You guys will be able to see them once I have 100 posts.

I want to thank the older generation and especially L4P for contentiously fueling my passion for watches. I hope you guys appreciate a young enthusiasts who wants to bring the culture back into the younger generation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is true the younger generation has started to turn away from such devices. My most expensive watch is a Citizen Eco-drive that cost a whopping $477 on sale two years ago on Fathers day. Looking to add to my small collection.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See at least you have a watch, a lot of people don't care for them because they haven't been exposed to the culture. My campus is thriving very fast and business opportunities are popping up left and right, I want to have a brick and mortar location with a younger twist to attract more future aficioinados around here.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have been an entrepreneur at heart since I was a kid and I always stuck around certain fields, mainly cars, watches, and technology. I already hold a car related job while attending university in SoCal, but I am noticing that the younger generation, my generation, isn't as enthusiastic about watches. I look at watches like art, like most enthusiasts do, so it's a shame seeing kids straying away from this field.

The spawn of my enthusiasm starts with Panerais. I can't get enough of the classic style and shape of the watch. Panerai, in my opinion, has a Porsche effect. What I mean by that is that PAM took this simple shape and design and turned it into something so much more. I have been the formal introduction of Panerai to many college students and most are left stunned at how incredible such a simple watch looks.

Although my intended market cannot afford to spend thousands on a watch, yet, there are so many brands that offer incredible styles for a lower price tag that I don't see a problem reintroducing classy looking watches back into college campuses. I don't have the funds to open a brick&mortar near my campus yet, but I'm taking steps which is all that matters.

I told thsiao that I wouldn't advertise until I have 100 posts in order to comply with L4P rules so all I will say is that I have decided to start off by hand selecting and selling hand made Italian leather PAM straps. You guys will be able to see them once I have 100 posts.

I want to thank the older generation and especially L4P for contentiously fueling my passion for watches. I hope you guys appreciate a young enthusiasts who wants to bring the culture back into the younger generation.
i agree your above statements, my friend don't understand why i wear a watch is a have a cell phone that tells the time and then there are my coworkers whom 40% don't who pretty much need to wear a watch but don't.

What i disagree with is "brick and mortar" and starting off with 100$ straps.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Again, I wish you luck and think it's great that you enjoy watches. I do agree that it's not a great idea to do anything brick-and-mortar, at least initially, because you will not pay the bills by creating an audience that you're already aware doesn't exist. An online shop is the best bet, without a doubt. You can still target college students, if you so wish, without having to sell 500 straps a month to pay overhead, which I would imagine as nearly impossible.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I'm 25 and only got interested in watches 2 or 3 years ago. What I have noticed about people my age with watches is they don't care about the watch itself rather than looking "rich". Just recently I was at a bar and asked someone about their watch and all the said is "You don't want to know how much this cost" and when I caught the name of it I already could ball park that it was less than 200 bucks.

Good luck with your business. Look forward to seeing how you progress

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i agree your above statements, my friend don't understand why i wear a watch is a have a cell phone that tells the time and then there are my coworkers whom 40% don't who pretty much need to wear a watch but don't.

What i disagree with is "brick and mortar" and starting off with 100$ straps.
Brick&Mortar is later down the road once I have capital to fund it and a following behind the brand. I'm trying to put together as much as I can monetarily by selling these straps and at the same time I'm growing out the Instagram and Facebook pages for the venture. I like to think long term, the brick and mortar store will happen, I just have to be financially stable enough at that point to support it.

Current straps are $40-$50, not $100 by the way haha

Thank you guys for the support, and ideas are welcomed.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Brick&Mortar is later down the road once I have capital to fund it and a following behind the brand. I'm trying to put together as much as I can monetarily by selling these straps and at the same time I'm growing out the Instagram and Facebook pages for the venture. I like to think long term, the brick and mortar store will happen, I just have to be financially stable enough at that point to support it.

Current straps are $40-$50, not $100 by the way haha

Thank you guys for the support, and ideas are welcomed.
So you are selling straps that will fit any watch that the kids are wearing on campus?
You are selling them for $40-50, what is your profit on that?
Have you considered selling reasonably priced watches that are not available locally?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The straps I sell now only fit Panerai, I want to target this audience first as that is the audience I have attracted thus far.
I'd prefer not posting profit margins publicly
Yes I have, that's what I plan on carrying in the Brick&Mortar.

So basically, I want to have both online and Brick&Mortar. The Brick&Mortar I plan to design with a more "hip", I guess, theme and it will carry more reasonably priced watches as well as some other things that'll attract students (Hats, some shirts, etc.). Some nice G-Shocks, Sonbols, whatever else is around that price range. The online store, however, will continue selling straps, but I would like to carry some not so reasonably priced watches on it as well, the students might not be able to buy them, but that doesn't mean other people can't.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The straps I sell now only fit Panerai, I want to target this audience first as that is the audience I have attracted thus far.
I'd prefer not posting profit margins publicly
Yes I have, that's what I plan on carrying in the Brick&Mortar.

So basically, I want to have both online and Brick&Mortar. The Brick&Mortar I plan to design with a more "hip", I guess, theme and it will carry more reasonably priced watches as well as some other things that'll attract students (Hats, some shirts, etc.). Some nice G-Shocks, Sonbols, whatever else is around that price range. The online store, however, will continue selling straps, but I would like to carry some not so reasonably priced watches on it as well, the students might not be able to buy them, but that doesn't mean other people can't.
how many people in your school have a Panerai?

PS: its a sin to speak of Panerai and G-Shock in one post let alone have em in the same store. If a Panerai is a Porsche , a G-Shock is a riced out Honda Civic from the 90's.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how many people in your school have a Panerai?

PS: its a sin to speak of Panerai and G-Shock in one post let alone have em in the same store. If a Panerai is a Porsche , a G-Shock is a riced out Honda Civic from the 90's.
Exactly why the Brick&Mortar will NOT have things like Panerai, only the online store will. G-Shocks and such will be in the physical store which is aimed at college students, online store will be aimed at more audiences and private orders. I'll already have the G-Shocks in stock in the store so why not throw them up to sell online?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I thank you guys for asking questions as it helps me think this out a lot more, questions are encouraged.

·
3,114 Posts
Good luck with your new venture and please post photos of your work here! Great to see that your straps are affordably priced at around $50... I think that is a big plus. The only other strapmaker that makes custom straps at that price is BJ Straps (that I know of).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These aren't necessarily custom made, they are handmade however. I select the style and design I want and have my manufacture make me a few to sell at a time. For my next order I'm thinking dark red alligator with either black or polished buckles (This style is going to be pricier), leaning towards black. My current straps are vintage frost brown with polished buckle, very nice for a classier, more rugged look.

·
7,022 Posts
One thing to clear up about "advertising." Here in the watch section we are a little less strict about non-sponsors promoting these types of projects. The issue with the FS post was not because you are not a sponsor. It was your post count.

Good luck in this endeavor. I look forward to seeing pics of your straps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One thing to clear up about "advertising." Here in the watch section we are a little less strict about non-sponsors promoting these types of projects. The issue with the FS post was not because you are not a sponsor. It was your post count.

Good luck in this endeavor. I look forward to seeing pics of your straps.
Hello Blair,

Yes thsiao told me the same, problem wasn't the thread, but my current post count.

Thank you very much, you have been a major contribution to my watch craze as I always lurk around your threads (As well as a lot of you guys) and learn more while discovering more, and to hear things like this from you guys is very inspirational and motivational. Again, thank you all.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You'll want to contact these higher end brands to see if they'll even do business with you. Panerai isn't going to send down a representative to your campus with $200,000 in watches to keep in your dorm while you try to sell them online with $50 straps and $100 G-Shocks. If they're going to be having someone sell their pieces they want it to be from a reputable company selling other high end timepieces. If you approach them and they ask what other watch brands you carry and you tell them ''Oh we will only be carrying lower end brands like Casio, Hamilton, Victorinox, etc, since my market is cheap college kids, but I absolutely love Panerais so I'd like to sell those too!'' they will laugh at you and tell you to come back when you start selling APs, Rolexs, Hublots, etc. I recently tried opening my own boutique so I know how most of these higher end dealers are going to treat you unfortunately, it's hard but best of luck to you, start small then work your way up to the higher end companies.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You'll want to contact these higher end brands to see if they'll even do business with you. Panerai isn't going to send down a representative to your campus with $200,000 in watches to keep in your dorm while you try to sell them online with $50 straps and $100 G-Shocks. If they're going to be having someone sell their pieces they want it to be from a reputable company selling other high end timepieces. If you approach them and they ask what other watch brands you carry and you tell them ''Oh we will only be carrying lower end brands like Casio, Hamilton, Victorinox, etc, since my market is cheap college kids, but I absolutely love Panerais so I'd like to sell those too!'' they will laugh at you and tell you to come back when you start selling APs, Rolexs, Hublots, etc. I recently tried opening my own boutique so I know how most of these higher end dealers are going to treat you unfortunately, it's hard but best of luck to you, start small then work your way up to the higher end companies.
Just to clarify again. The reason I am selling the straps now is to raise capital to invest towards the brick and mortar location. When I feel stable enough to open a brick and mortar I will go to brands such as G-Shock, Hamilton, Sonbol, etc. because college students are more in that price range. At that point the companies reputation isn't going to be as strong, give it a little more time and allow the brick and mortar to flourish and build up a reputation. Once I have a reputable brand behind me, that's when I'm going to go knocking on the doors of PAM, AP, Hublot, etc.

About your experience with opening a boutique, any insight you would be willing to share, possible in a PM? Would love to hear some tips and advice from someone who's gone down that road.

The plan is to start small and work up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts