Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
THE ONLY MAN THAT CAN™
23,169 Posts
Wow, thats a beautiful house. Tell us a little more, I am really curious to find out the story behind it. Did you buy the lot and built the house yourself, how long did it take? please tell us more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys
the house is completed i will post pics asap
4000+ sq ft.
2 bedrooms downstairs
3 bedrooms upstairs
3 walk in closets
4 full bathrooms
1 game room
1 media room

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
WoW...came out amazing!!! Love the cabinets in the kitchen. Like RAW asked, did you buy the lot and then build the house? If so, always nice to design your own home and get everything you want in it...fun but difficult process also.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
im almost sure the cabinets are oak.
Just the fronts and facing are oak.. The structure is particle board. Make REAL sure that the countertop installer and fixtures are 100000% sealed up or get ready for a nightmare of swollen wood. Love the color and the kitchen! Lots of people use particleboard for their structure, dont worry, its not a deal breaker for resale but it can be a maintenance nightmare. I just pulled all the PB out of my kitchen last weekend because of a leaky faucet while I was on vacation..

Gorgeous house. Would love to hear more about the location and neigborhood!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Congrats on the new house looks good post up the completed pics

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
im almost sure the cabinets are oak.

the faces are oak, everything else is particle board, can easily see in above pic... id be real pissed if the contractor sold you on "full oak" and then used particle board to save money inside.. the inside should be plywood at minimum imo because of expansion/deterioration of the particle board... "full wood" is really never used unless its super high end.

if you have any leaks in your sinks from pipes or an overflow.. those walls/bases/backs will swell up instantly and need to be changed out (meaning new everything since cant just change out a wall when its all connected) also heat/etc can cause swelling as well.

most people dont even think of this and just order the cabinents not knowing they are specced out the cheap way to save money for contractor..

my dad builds custom kitchens/furniture and people try and compare prices to homedepot without knowing HD quoted em particle board.(also most the HD stuff is prebuilt and just placed to fit rather than made to fit)

side note:

other area's contractors cut corners is not doing full extensions in the drawers (i would reccomend blu motion for everything, what an amazing upgrade (slides and hinges)) and also they use cheap particle board drawers instead of maple dovetail'd drawers... (you have shallower drawers because the particle board isnt as rigid and needs more support than plywood)

most people dont think to ask and take the word of others, each upgrade isnt that much money but the contractors are greedy and put it in their pocket instead of delivering a top quality product.. other area's to go cheap is cheap knobs/pulls...

not trying to discredit the job at all, just saying/hoping you didnt pay for full wood and they delivered particle board cabinets and pocketed the difference without you knowing.

btw, sick house.. really nice layout, i like the railing, looks real good.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

the faces are oak, everything else is particle board, can easily see in above pic... id be real pissed if the contractor sold you on "full oak" and then used particle board to save money inside.. the inside should be plywood at minimum imo because of expansion/deterioration of the particle board... "full wood" is really never used unless its super high end.

if you have any leaks in your sinks from pipes or an overflow.. those walls/bases/backs will swell up instantly and need to be changed out (meaning new everything since cant just change out a wall when its all connected) also heat/etc can cause swelling as well.

most people dont even think of this and just order the cabinents not knowing they are specced out the cheap way to save money for contractor..

my dad builds custom kitchens/furniture and people try and compare prices to homedepot without knowing HD quoted em particle board.(also most the HD stuff is prebuilt and just placed to fit rather than made to fit)

side note:

other area's contractors cut corners is not doing full extensions in the drawers (i would reccomend blu motion for everything, what an amazing upgrade (slides and hinges)) and also they use cheap particle board drawers instead of maple dovetail'd drawers... (you have shallower drawers because the particle board isnt as rigid and needs more support than plywood)

most people dont think to ask and take the word of others, each upgrade isnt that much money but the contractors are greedy and put it in their pocket instead of delivering a top quality product.. other area's to go cheap is cheap knobs/pulls...

not trying to discredit the job at all, just saying/hoping you didnt pay for full wood and they delivered particle board cabinets and pocketed the difference without you knowing.

btw, sick house.. really nice layout, i like the railing, looks real good.
i did not think to ask if it would be full oak.:(

1 - 20 of 57 Posts