Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's almost March here in MN, and it's currently -7 outside. Missing the faint memories of a thing called summer. Anyone else feeling.....bleh? I'm set to return to CA SBK School in mid-April @ Streets of Willow to get a good start on the season, yet it's still such a long time away.

Here are a few from this past season. Most of the one's where I halfway look like I know what I'm doing are from later in the season when I finally got over some mental hurdles from my crash at the end of '12. Up to the June 30 trackday felt pretty sketchy considering most of the days before then were in the rain/wet on D211 GPA's...

Barber (April w/NESBA):

Road America (May w/ZARS):

BIR-Comp Course (June w/CRA...getting my racing license on my streetbike). :-/

BIR (June w/ZARS)

MPH (Aug w/TrackAddix)

BIR (Sept w/ ZARS)

-Christian

·
Registered
848 Posts
Nice!!! I can't wait until warmer weather and some track days!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I got excited as soon as I saw you posted a thread. Your 848 looks awesome - great pictures.

Did you make any changes over the down season?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! :)

Yep, a few offseason changes. Ripped the forks, shock, and height adjuster rod to send off for freshening up. First time since doing the Ö upgrades 2 seasons ago. :-/ Also picked up a set of DucShop 30mm offset triples and linear rear link which completely changes the handling characteristics of the 848/1x98 for the better. The more people I talk to, the more I realize I should've done this much sooner.

The guy I sent them to actually co-founded DucShop with Mark, and still is the main tech for Jake Zemke when he's riding the DesmoVeloce/TPL 848, so I'm lucky to be in pretty good hands. He's modding the RT fork bottoms for the quick change front wheel setup. Basically eliminates having to clip safety wire/remove calipers/pinch bolts/etc and turns front wheel removal into a 10 second deal. Combined with the rear SSSA, complete wheel change out will be about a minute. :) Here's the QC release system on an S1000RR:
BMW S1000RR Front wheel quick change kit by FFR - YouTube

Also got a few goodies for Christmas: Held Titans, MWR air filter, Translogic quickshifter, Brembo low-drag brake lever, and CNC front axle sliders.

Still waiting on a couple more things: DucaBike brake lever guard...as brake guards sound like they become manditory in CRA, and XT Racing GPX Pro4 lap timer/data acquisition. Looking to make some decent strides this year by specifically seeing where I can shave time and what I'm doing our there.

Definitely looking forward to riding season....if it ever gets here, lol. Decided I'm bringing my street bodywork with me down to SoCal to sample some roads after school. Mainly Mullholland outside LA and Red Rock outside Las Vegas on the way back home. I'd regret not doing it knowing I was all the way out there with my own bike.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Nice! I miss my 1098S Tricolore a lot. Did two track days with it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Need to get back on a new Duc soon :)

Here are some pics of my bike:

Reactions: ANORXIC'51

·
Registered
365 Posts
#8 IS perfection! Great shot

Reactions: ANORXIC'51

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What enticed you about the 848 over other brands? You have a couple bikes, both Ducati, right?
No, I just have one bike. My wife has a '10 250R to start off the hobby on. Same thing I did. :)

Why the 848? Man, I knew shortly after getting into the hobby/sport that I had to have one after seeing the debut of the Pearl White paint scheme. My second bike was an '08 GSX-R600 which was a fantastic bike, even did an ARS and TrackSchool on it to continue the upward learning curve. I still knew I'd eventually end up on an 848 if the stars aligned. At that first "big track" trackday/school at BIR a few years ago, my friend offered me to ride his 848 around the grounds of Brainerd. I didn't go her 30 MPH due to the speed limit there, but it pretty much hooked me. A couple of weeks later he came across a deal on a pretty well modded 848, and offered me his for the same price I paid for the GSX-R. NO BRAINER, because at that time '08s were still selling for 10-12k....and he was offering me his near stock one for significantly less.

Sold the GSX-R600 back to the dealer I bought it from just a few months earlier, and ended up with the 848. :)

It's gone thru a few transformations, has made me grow as a rider A LOT, and made me understand how to maintain and work on bikes. Love it! I'll eventually end up on an RSV4 as a street bike, while making the 848 my track/race-only bike, but am bringing the street bodywork/lights/mirrors/plates with me down to SoCal in April so I can sample Mullholland outside LA and Red Rock outside Las Vegas to give it some street riding love after 2 days of learning at Willow Springs with CSS.

Here's the mix shot I did before tearing the bike down/getting dumped on with snow all winter. "Winter Test" look mixing the bare carbon street bodywork with the track prep look (front number, mirror blockoffs, no kickstand, no license plate)...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts