1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for 2 things.....
a) some advice / direction on what area to potentially live in
b) cool new people to hang out with once we get settled in

I just scored a wholesale distributorship with Puma Football (soccer) covering WI, MN, and IL, so I am moving to Chicago in a week. I have a place to crash for now, but not long term. My fiance is finishing school in LA and coming to join me next Feb.

Since I am covering a 3 state territory, I will need access to Interstate/Highways to get in and out of the city. She is in the fashion business, so she will need access to public transportation to get down to either the Merchandise Mart or Michigan Ave. One of my best friends and his wife live in the Gold Coast with a condo overlooking lake Michigan, which is great. I just don't know that that area makes sense for us at the moment.

We will need
  • 2 Bedroom
  • 2 Bath
  • Dedicated parking
  • We have 2 small dogs (small yard would be great but not required)
  • We don't party every night but a cool night life would be nice nearby
  • Near public transit
  • Under $2K a month at least until after the wedding next May

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that is a good start.

We will miss SoCal but we have visited a few times already so we are pretty excited about Chicago.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Move out to the burbs... It is a lot cheaper. I live about 45 miles out of the city, but its an hour train ride in, and the highway is about 6 miles from me.

Also, we should talk about this soccer stuff. I have played for oh, about 16 years now...

I know a lot of the local stores.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Move out to the burbs... It is a lot cheaper. I live about 45 miles out of the city, but its an hour train ride in, and the highway is about 6 miles from me.

Also, we should talk about this soccer stuff. I have played for oh, about 16 years now...

I just PM'd you my contact info...I'd love an intro to some of the local stores, thanks.

Congrats! I'll keep an eye out for yah.
Let me know if you come across something...thanks!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
look at mchenry county, lake county....

our public train to the city is called metra. that will bring you all they way into the city, and even up to wisconsin depending on which line.

the train in the city is called the l, or CTA. check out their websites to see where you can go

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Can't help you with a place to live...but I live in Milwaukee...so Welcome to the midwest! Bring your coat! :)

·
Co-Founder
8,885 Posts

Disagree - if you have no kids do not move out to the burbs. Plenty of places in the west loop by me under 2k a month.

Check zip 60607 in realtor.com for rentals.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Disagree - if you have no kids do not move out to the burbs. Plenty of places in the west loop by me under 2k a month.

Check zip 60607 in realtor.com for rentals.
but to get to the north, west loop is a bit far?

And im thinking more along the lines that if he is doing vendor work, most of the soccer shops are out in the burbs

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I live in Logan Sqaure, and Im RIGHT off the 90-94 highway which will take to all major highways throughout the city, suburbs and surrounding states you mentioned. Also about 10-15 trip to get downtown depending on how fast you drive. Your wife can easily get to the Merchandise Mart easily from here, I used to go to the Illinois Institute of Art which is directly across the street from MM. Now its not as upscale and swanky as Gold Coast or River north but its quiet and family oriented over here, plenty of access to everything you could possibly need and want. Pm me if this sounds up your alley and I can go into more detail for ya.

·
L4P Consigliere
1,829 Posts
Listen to Club 411. There are plenty of places in the Chicago you can get for that price range. With all due respect to MrMickey, McHenry and Lake County are waaaaay too far away.

Even if you prefer the 'burbs there are much better and closer in locations. I'm in the 'burbs right now, but only 22 minutes to downtown with normal traffic.

If you are a visual learner let me put it this way:

West Loop:

McHenry County:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Listen to Club 411. There are plenty of places in the Chicago you can get for that price range. With all due respect to MrMickey, McHenry and Lake County are waaaaay too far away.

Even if you prefer the 'burbs there are much better and closer in locations. I'm in the 'burbs right now, but only 22 minutes to downtown with normal traffic.

West Loop:

McHenry County:

lolz....i've never been compared to a cow :eek:hwell: but must completely agree.

i live in the loop on michigan and everything - highway, public transportation, night life, restaurants - is at most 5 minutes away. lmk if you need mls listings outside of realtor.com & craigslist

and...best of luck with the new venture and welcome to chicago!~*

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm looking for 2 things.....
a) some advice / direction on what area to potentially live in
b) cool new people to hang out with once we get settled in

I just scored a wholesale distributorship with Puma Football (soccer) covering WI, MN, and IL, so I am moving to Chicago in a week. I have a place to crash for now, but not long term. My fiance is finishing school in LA and coming to join me next Feb.

Since I am covering a 3 state territory, I will need access to Interstate/Highways to get in and out of the city. She is in the fashion business, so she will need access to public transportation to get down to either the Merchandise Mart or Michigan Ave. One of my best friends and his wife live in the Gold Coast with a condo overlooking lake Michigan, which is great. I just don't know that that area makes sense for us at the moment.

We will need
  • 2 Bedroom
  • 2 Bath
  • Dedicated parking
  • We have 2 small dogs (small yard would be great but not required)
  • We don't party every night but a cool night life would be nice nearby
  • Near public transit
  • Under $2K a month at least until after the wedding next May

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that is a good start.

We will miss SoCal but we have visited a few times already so we are pretty excited about Chicago.
Don't move to the burbs man, shits mad boring

I live in Chicago, by wrigley field.

I would suggest Wicker park, that's my fav area..

River North if you got some money.

wrigleyville is a good area

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
You can also look into major college areas as many will offer month to month leases and rental agreements. One thing to remember, I don't know your firearm status but the City of Chicago is worse than Commiefornia. If you have any plans of owning make sure to live outside city limits. I'm up in Northern Lake Co, maybe 15 minutes from the border. Great towns around here like Gurnee, Lake Forest, Antioch, etc etc. While I agree it's not close to the city but you might be more "in-the-middle" with a region of IL,WI,MN. btw the night life sucks in Lake Co, and basically anywhere outside of Chicago. I think we have a Chillis and a Buffalo Wild Wings....woo!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
You can also look into major college areas as many will offer month to month leases and rental agreements. One thing to remember, I don't know your firearm status but the City of Chicago is worse than Commiefornia. If you have any plans of owning make sure to live outside city limits. I'm up in Northern Lake Co, maybe 15 minutes from the border. Great towns around here like Gurnee, Lake Forest, Antioch, etc etc. While I agree it's not close to the city but you might be more "in-the-middle" with a region of IL,WI,MN. btw the night life sucks in Lake Co, and basically anywhere outside of Chicago. I think we have a Chillis and a Buffalo Wild Wings....woo!
naperville is fun!

·
Co-Founder
8,885 Posts

West Loop:

McHenry County:

LOL!

Dying!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
yeah, the hot girls dont leave the farms, or only hang out with the farm kids

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the feed back so far. I'll be arriving in Chicago over the weekend and staying with a friend while I check out some neighborhoods around town. He's in the Gold Coast at 1360 N Lake Shore. Also talking with the guy who had the territory before to get some ideas.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Corvette nationals are going on this weekend too!

Ill be around if you get bored as well

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Good luck finding a place, i'll try to keep my eye open and talk to a few friends in real estate. I would definitely stay in the city if you are wanting to have some fun. The burbs can be great and all, but not really until you are wanting to settle down with some kids.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts