Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure one of the sponsoring detailers must have done a sportbike or 2. with quite a few bike owners here, I am sure i am not the only one who would like to see some step by steps done on a bike. I find it much harder to wash my bikes than any of my cars or trucks..so I would really like to see one.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
With streetbikes I typically use ONR (optimum no rinse) to wash and than I apply a carnauba wax on all my bikes. I also use various brushes and APC to clean the motor or tight squeeze areas

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I too would love to see this. Ive heard good things about the optimum wash but have never tryed it yet.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I know gloss-it has done quite a few!

Where you at Rich!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I detailed my bike once this fall... It was a bit of a pain as I don't think it has ever actually been cleaned before, cutting through all the oil was the worst... but now that it is decent keeping up on it shouldn't be hard.

My only tips would be the more brushes the better, I think I used 5 different brushes to clean various parts. That and 4" and 50mm pads are very nice to have for buffing.

My basic process:

Covered the seat and gauges in plastic.

Presoaked the whole bike down in Zep Citrus APC at 3:1

Rinsed once

Treated all the greasy parts with Zep 3:1 and the worst offending parts with Zep Purple Degreaser at 3:1

Then multiple applications of the degreaser and lots of agitation with small brushes mainly these:

http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/products/Tires---Wheels/Raceglaze-Brush-Set/index.html

Then I hand washed with Megs Gold Class and a sheepskin mitt.

For maintenance I plan to use ONR but the bike was DIRTY...

Then I completely dried with compressed air.

After that I polished the tank, fairings and windscreen with these pads and some Menzerna Compounds:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/4PackUberFoamPad4inch.aspx

Anything bigger than a 4" pad is too big for a bike IMO...

Finished it off with a coat of CG Jetseal and called it a day.

There is no real trick to doing a bike, they are just intricate compared to a car...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Did mine beginning of spring...ONR works good, but I wanted to soak the entire bike with a safe APC and get in all the tight crevices...Like stated above just make sure you cover the electronics and put plastic bag or something plastic over the battery and you will be fine. Also dont go blasting water full stream at the electronics...After your done cleaning, use a blower or air compressor to blow out all the water in the hard to reach areas...Then do your detail work...Tape off and plastic everything you dont want to get polish/wax on and it'll make life easier...I'll see if I can find some pics of when I did mine...Just take your time and you can do it...

EIDT - Found some pics...Sorry there big, dont mean to hijack your thread and clutter it up...

Basically, quick run-down...Sealed up electronics, rinsed down with water, used foam gun and high concentrate of P21S TAW (Total Auto Wash). Rinsed off, washed bike with mitt and Dawn (blue)... Bought bike inside, taped up, compounded/polished, generally used Griots Garage 3" Random Orbital. Larger area of tank used PC...After polished, re-foamed and washed to wash off dust and left over compound/polish. Used backpack blower to dry after each wash and micro-fiber towels to get the leftover water...Took it inside again to seal and wax it...Didnt get many after pics...Missed riding her for a day so I rushed to get back out on it...

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sometimes its easier to just pay some one.....
lol mike
who am i going to find who i can trust with my bimota tesi. my foggi ducati race bike (the wsbk championship winning race bike) my graves race bike, my r7s...my rothmans rc30. rc45. nicky haydens ama championship winning rc51. my formula extreme bikes?

those cant be replaced for any amount of money. its easier to replace an enzo. (seriously) and might even cost less

the regular bikes sure...but the bikes with race history dont get touched by other people. so i gota learn.

Thanks RPG and custom.
what do you use on the Ti headers?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks...i will pick some up asap

I want to just clean the grime/bugs that get on em

·
Registered
758 Posts
I haven't dealt with a ton of TI... as far as I know it isn't very chemically susceptible... but I'm going to do a little reading on that to double check...

Any APC (all purpose cleaner) should take bugs off, and for tar I've always liked Stoners Tarminator, stuff works well and is cheap to boot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive done quite a few sportsbikes now, I love doing them.
Heres a couple of links to 2 I have detailed, the Triumph was a customers prior to selling it and needed it to look its best.
The Kawasaki ZX6R was also up for sale so needed to also look its best for the new owner.
Where time allows and if the customer requests then I would also take off all bodywork to clean underneath and polish exhausts.

Hi-shine Vs Triumph 675 se - Detailing Paradise

Hi-shine - Kawasaki ZX6R - Detailing Paradise

1 - 13 of 13 Posts