Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's going to be there?

I'm searching for hotels right now but everything is booked! :( I started to look late so it's my fault, luckily I only live 100 miles away from Carmel! :lol: I may just go to the Concorso Italiano on Saturday and drive back home. I wanted to go to the Concours d'elegance on Sunday but don't know if I want to make the drive back down and up again. It'll be my first time actually attending the show, can anyone who's been to both chime in? What's the difference besides seeing the concept cars? Which one has more to offer?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I made the trip out last year, but due to other obligations I was only able to go to the historics on Friday @ Laguna Seca. This was the best automotive event I have ever attended, and I was only there 24 hours.
Was able to catch the Goldfinger caravan from Calabases to Monterey last year, hope it happens again this year. This was the highlight of the trip.
http://www.luxury4play.com/west/123144-drive-monterey-august-15-calabasas.html
Here is link to the events going on that week. Monterey Car Week, Monterey, California, your only source for complete events schedules and local information. 

Manny

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live here in monterey, and I have been to both shows several times and plan on attending this year as well. It really depends on what you are hoping to really see. Concorso Italiano is always jaw dropping and a great show! Concours D'elegance is amazing with classic british, italian, german and american cars. And the concept lawn is always a plus. There is usually a Auction there as well. You can see everything from a first model Mercedes Benz to a Mclaren F1 to the latest Ferrari... I recommend going to both!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I am in NorCal too. So far I tend to go down at least two days. It is a lot of driving and you will be exhausted but it's worth it. It depends on how late you stay at night. A hotel would be ideal but I always just drive it...keeps the wife happy for now since she doesn't want to go down. I tend to go down Friday and then Saturday. Maybe next year I will spend a week there ... That would be more fun. If you can't find a place in Carmel or Monterey try Salinas. Not as close but better than Bay Area.

If you have never been and enjoy Italian cars I would say Concorso Italiano would be a good venue to check out. Lots of great cars, reasonable admission. I did that my first year. It was great. Last year a buddy of mine got us into The Quail motorsports gathering,and the mclaren p1 unveil at Gooding afterwards. Oh my that is an amazing concours. I actually won the "lottery" ticket system they do so I am going to Quail again this year. Otherwise I'd be at the new Werks Reunion porsche show. I have tended to do the concours stuff on Friday and then Saturday check out retro auto and auction places for fun, go to carmel or eat or shop and look at cars parked there, do 17 mile drive etc... This year things are different and at different locations. Ie Italian Concorso is on Sat not Fri, retro auto is at the Spanish inn etc.... Not sure what I will do sat now... I've not done Sunday...haven't wanted to deal with crowds.

You might want to go to a book store and pick up a magazine "Sports Car Market". There should be a 2014 Monterey car week guide with it in the bag on the back. Has good info. Of course my favorite is still just the web link someone above posted to the events. That's a great page and has links to the real pages for each item with those details....

I am about 130 miles away in east bay, a bit north...takes about 2 hours. One other note don't forget about traffic. With so many events and cars it's not uncommon to be stuck trying to get from one venue to another. Just trying to go from the Quail to the Equestrian center for gooding and Co last year I think took us an hour or so...heh. If you have a manual transmission car be prepared and keep the gas tank full. Also layer your clothes... the concours inland can be surprisingly hot, while the coast will be windy and freezing...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone going to the Quail Motorsports Gathering? Looking to find anyone with tickets :( sold out months ago, I know so late but still trying anyway!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Just find a parking lot and sleep in your car for the night and go to both events!

·
14,490 Posts
I'll be there. Rolling in my M5 together with fuel run. See you all up there!.

I'll also be at the Quail if anyone is going and wants to hangout for a bit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll be there. Rolling in my M5 together with fuel run. See you all up there!.
I'm mad at myself for missing this, sold out by the time I found it. I drove up with the fuel run group last year from Calabasas to Monterey, lots of fun on some great back roads. Going to see if I find my map from last year so I can follow the same route this year.
Have fun.

Manny

·
14,490 Posts
Sooooooo many epic cars will be on fuel run. I'm sad I'll be missing it this year :(
But you'll be up at Monterey so you won't exactly be missing it all. :)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I'm mad at myself for missing this, sold out by the time I found it. I drove up with the fuel run group last year from Calabasas to Monterey, lots of fun on some great back roads. Going to see if I find my map from last year so I can follow the same route this year.
Have fun.

Manny
Where does fuelrun start from?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts