Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys i just purchased a 1 acre lot to build my dream home. i was wondering if you guys know where i could see or purchase some plans for a modern contemporary house? thanks guys

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
hello guys i just purchased a 1 acre lot to build my dream home. i was wondering if you guys know where i could see or purchase some plans for a modern contemporary house? thanks guys
Hire a good architect :wink: you don't want generic plans. the house should fit the environment it's built in. Where is the property?

I love modern architecture but many of the homes I see are just random examples, placed on a random piece of land. The home should integrate with it's surroundings.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hire a good architect :wink: you don't want generic plans. the house should fit the environment it's built in. Where is the property?

I love modern architecture but many of the homes I see are just random examples, placed on a random piece of land. The home should integrate with it's surroundings.
i am going to hire a architect i just want to look at some interior designs i guess i can just get some magazines.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
just subscribed to the magazine. hopefully i can get some good ideas. this house build is going to be a major headache
ha, they always are I build them for a living ;) hopefully alleviating the headaches from my clients.

You should consider using environmentally friendly techniques.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I mean building "green" there are many different aspects to green building. The main idea is trying to reduce your homes energy consumption and there are tons of ways to go about that, you can use as few or as many options as you like here. Also try and use locally sourced materials, or sustainably grown woods. Reduce your demand on potable water. Consider renewable energy sources i.e. solar panels. Highly insulating your home is one of the cheapest ways to reduce your energy usage. Use durable materials, things that won't have to be replaced in a few years meaning less construction waste. Look at some of the stuff out there now that comes from recycled materials, some very cool stuff. Pay close attention to the indoor air quality of your home, i.e. use low or zero V.O.C. paints, sealants, and glues. These are just a few things to consider. The list is almost endless and they are all improvements over the way we've been building homes for years.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
J08M3 knows what he's talking about...before clicking this thread too, I was hoping you would go to an architect. Most are slow now; if you contact one I am sure they will go out of their way to work with you AND the site to get the feel and look you want...its their job.

And as J08M3 also points out, you definitely want to work with the landscape, even have the landscape designed to work with the specific elements in your region to reduce your overall energy consumption.

Hey good luck on the design and build, and post pictures when things get under way.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Don't be afraid to fire the architect - if you have any doubts in the bottom of your stomach regarding the layout, address them immediately.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
design something yourself then take it to an architect. I am building my whole house on paper then going to see where it takes me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Building a home

Having built three new homes all different styles I can tell you that you really need to do your research on the choice of Architect . They are kinda like doctors some good some not so good. Also if you can get some pretty defined spec's or space planning ahead of time that helps. For each project I have done I have collected in a binder pictures of the design by room I want to achieve which helps a lot. I love the process and my next home will be 50"s Modern Contemporary so not ultra modern but small elevation changes within . Look at some Frank Lloyd Wright pictures of his homes they are killer ideas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts