Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
It is impressive, but I am not sure it can happen.

Engineering wise, there are some major hurdles to overcome. Additionally, the soft ground of Saudi Arabia just doesn't seem to be the wisest play to build something like this.

I'd also be curious to find out how much sway there would be at the top.

I know one thing...as much as I'd want to, I'd never step foot in the thing, much less on the top floor.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ They're building it man...they'd already cordoned off the site when i went there (its huge)...it'll be done by 2015

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
My other concern is how quickly they build those things and the labor they use. The import 5,000 Bangladeshis as unskilled labor that they basically train on site and keep there until the job is done. When they built the Burj Dubai (whatever it is called now), they made the workers stay ON the property the entire time and worked them 10-14 hours a day. They didn't even pay them until the job was done and they took their ID so they couldn't leave.

The conditions are nutty and I'd just be afraid of being in something that requires such attention to detail being built by labor that is extremely unhappy and is always exhausted.

When it is done though, it will start a new race for crazy tall structures.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ All of that is very true, not just for a particular project but its just how its done here...lots of civil/human rights abuses, not meeting with the health and safety codes for workers but theres nothing that anyone can do about it...labors from poor countries desperately need money so they just take what they can get.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I like the fact that it even looks like Frank Lloyd Wright's vision for a mile high tower from 1956!

I'd go up it. Not sure I'd fancy landing in a chopper on that pad halfway up though.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
cant wait!

·
Registered
347 Posts
OMGWTFBOOOOOOOOM! ...anyway on a more serious note, how big is the freaking base of this thing?!?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I think base jumping would be the only thing I'd have to do with this thing haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts