Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today McLaren of Newport Beach was gracious enough to let me come down and test drive one of their two McLaren MP4-12Cs that they are now proud owners of. They have decided to purchase and keep both cars for the dealership! Currently the McLaren Dealership is under construction. The new Dealership will be located on PCH in Newport beach blocks away from Ferrari of Newport Beach. Now the McLarens are being held at the Lamborghini of Newport Beach Showroom located on Harbor Blvd. As I approached the dealership the first thing is saw was the new Super Trofeo Stradale followed by the Matte Black Aventador and a full stable of Bulls and Porsche Carrera GT. When I turned into the parking lot I was then greeted by another Aventador and Two McLarens! The white one was staring at me with doors wide open. Yeah Baby!

Thanks to Pietro and Nick Jones I was about to be the first test driver of one of the two Super Cars since their arrival at the Dealership. Everyone one clearly knows I am a Bull Purist and nothing can top my love for Lamborghini. So basically, I went in as a skeptic. When you first see the car in person you are taken back by all the details on the car from the Carbon Fiber on the Door Sills to the Intricate Angles on the Engine Bay Cover. Nick took the drivers seat and showed me the ropes. As we drove down the road one of the first things I noticed was how awesomely loud the Exhaust was! This car rips and oh did I enjoy it. Finally a "stock" Super Car that is loud as hell. I feel like most of the super cars that have been released the past couple of years just don't have the same exhaust notes that the super cars of yesteryear had. The Braking on this car is impeccable. When you hit speeds of "higher amounts" (trying to keep it PC), The wing comes up and the stop is instant. Wow! Another feature I found impressive on the car was the Seamless Shift Gearbox (SSG). Basically with the click of a knob on the center console, you can switch from Normal, Sport or Track. This is the same technology they used for Formula 1!! It got a little toasty in the car so I went to hit the ac and...... it's not where it should be! Or shouldn't it? Genius. The Temperature controls are located on the side panels of the driver and passenger doors. Talk about ease of access. I simply clicked the button on the side panel to turn up the AC instead of reaching to the center to adjust.

When I stepped into the Drivers seat , comfort was there. This car is Kush. I felt relaxed and with the seat adjustments that were quickly made I was ready to take off! I barely tapped the gas and this thing took off. I will say, before Nick does ;) , that I did not push it too hard. I guess I was a bit nervous sitting behind the drivers seat in a car of this caliber. The shifts were instant and the car was as light as a feather. Visibility is excellent. the McLaren MP4-12C is basically a Formula 1 Car with the comforts of a Luxury Automobile. I give this car two thumbs up and can't wait to see some of my friends pick up one soon!

Thank you again to McLaren of Newport Beach for the Test Drive

I took a lot of I Phone Pics and a Video. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
17,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aimee, Please compare the driving experience against your Lambo?
I do not own a Lambo. I don't fake the funk. But I have driven a few :)

To me you wold have to compare this to the Aventador. I need to test drive this then we will see. You can't compare the McLaren to the LP 640 IMO. You can however compare it to the 458 and I feel it's a better ride for a few reasons. It's really a matter of personal choice though. I like the exhaust note. It's very recognizable when you are inside the car. The Gear switch feels more precise. The braking is more on point and I enjoy all the gadgets inside the car. They are placed right.

·
Registered
803 Posts
What is the sticker on these?
$231K I believe.

Nice write up Aimee. Has your view changed of the car since you saw it at Cars & Coffee a few months back or does it still lack something that it's competitors have?

·
Premium Member
17,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Driving it definitely changed my feelings about it. Also Nick Jones and Pietro of McLaren Newport Beach took the time to really explain in detail everything about the car. A lot of the technology in the car really impressed me as mentioned in my review. The Volcano Orange is the color choice I would go for. It really stands out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Driving it definitely changed my feelings about it. Also Nick Jones and Pietro of McLaren Newport Beach took the time to really explain in detail everything about the car. A lot of the technology in the car really impressed me as mentioned in my review. The Volcano Orange is the color choice I would go for. It really stands out.
Yeah I think that Volcanic Orange really pops. I like the screaming sound of the Ferrari V8s but the note from inside the Mp4 was really distinctive and noticeable. I think for somewhere like NY with the suspension goodies the mp4 has it would be so much better than a 458 in terms of livability. Doesn't this thing get 30 MPG too? crazy.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
saving $3k on a near $250k car is irrelevant, but getting 24mpg on a supercar is awesome. Nice pictures, too.

·
Premium Member
17,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
saving $3k on a near $250k car is irrelevant, but getting 24mpg on a supercar is awesome. Nice pictures, too.
You would think so but I have seen many a buyer that can afford these take in to account that 3,000 savings....

367 Posts
Thank you for stopping by the showroom on Saturday Aimee. I am glad your first McLaren experience was a good one! It's always good to hear a non-bias opinion from someone that deals with all sorts of exotics. Next time we will have to go out for an early morning cruise with less mileage so we can really utilize that air-brake........

Here are a couple shots I snapped while you were getting adjusted in the driver's seat. See you soon!

Nick Jones
McLaren Newport Beach

1 - 20 of 29 Posts