Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gold Sponsor
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have begun the journey of looking for my first high end vehicle but in this case i want something slightly older. My first choice in this search is the 190E 2.3 Evo. I just love the look of the car and its rarity. Just wondering what advice anyone may have about this car or any other possible suggestions on germany's finest imports.

Any help is greatly appreciated.:D

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
If you want something older...I would rather get a 930 slant or even a 930 turbo.
or a bmw e30 m3.
might be easier to find that over the evo and might give you more performance per dollar as well as the bavarian nostalgia that you are looking for.

·
Gold Sponsor
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help so far guys keep it coming. @Bignmz04, not a huge porschefile, but def like the E30 M3 suggestion, plenty of tuner support for it as well.

That's probably my biggest worry actually, is that there is not much tuner/aftermarket love for the 190E compared to the E30.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a period reader of this forum, this post got me interested to register and join your forum.

My first choice in this search is the 190E 2.3 Evo. I just love the look of the car and its rarity. Just wondering what advice anyone may have about this car or any other possible suggestions on germany's finest imports.
As a 190 enthusiast I don´t know this type your searching for :whistle: . There are four models of the sportiest 190E. First the 190E 2.3 16V (first released in 1985), then came the 2.5 16V and the so called Evolution models 2.5 16V Evo1 with a low rear spoiler and the 2.5 16V Evolution II with a higher rear spoiler and changed bodykit.

The main visible differences are the spoilers and bodykits, also the Evolution models have a short stroke engine (as far as I remember). The engines are longlasting (distances over 200tkm are possible), but have to be serviced regularly. This doesn´t cost a fortune, but it has to be done accurately. The intake- and exhaust-valves have to be adjusted from time to time with distanceplates as the 16-valve models didn´t receive hydraulic valve lifts.

You should know what your doing, no rocket science, but not easy for everyone. Then the models have a hydraulic suspension, normally only on the rear axle, but as an option on all four wheels, switchable. It´s called a 3-step-suspension for the air resistance. It knows three positions, first ist the race position, third is for climbing curbs etc. in allday driving. Second is inbetween. It´s impressive, when standing at a traffic light in central Stuttgart and a Porsche 911 roll´s to the line. The driver of the 16V turns the switch an the car lowers to the ground :SHOCKED:

I´m not really deep into the 16V-models (I own three normal models) but I hope to have increased you knowledge a bit. If you have questions, where to have a look at, when checking a Babybenz, just pm me.

Regards from Germany,

Frank.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Looking for a 190E 16v, checkout the BaT (bringatrailer.com)

·
Gold Sponsor
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow I have been enlightened frank. I have to admit I have always been aware of the car and have driven standard 190E's own by family members. But what really got me in tune with the Evo's and Cosworth powered cars was watching old DTM races and of course a good Top Gear episode can always persuade a decision.

I do know a mechanic who has over 30 years experience with older Mercedes models such as this but I will be sure to ask what experience they have with the 190E suspension modules.

Thanks for your help I will be sure to have further discussions with you on baby benzes. If my search falls through on the 190E, on my list is also the C36,C43,C32 Kompressor, and C55. as you can tell I like the C-Class body style.

Thanks Akiruno I will be sure to check that site out.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
So i have begun the journey of looking for my first high end vehicle but in this case i want something slightly older. My first choice in this search is the 190E 2.3 Evo. I just love the look of the car and its rarity. Just wondering what advice anyone may have about this car or any other possible suggestions on germany's finest imports.

1986 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-16, second owner, 130k miles, recent full re-paint in the factory charcoal color, $7300.
BaT Exclusive: Clean 1986 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-16 BaT – The best vintage and classic cars for sale online

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
The cosworth is one sexy car.

I was watching that "wheeler dealer" show on cable last winter and they fixed one of these up.

Nothing not to like about it and it has the right number of pedals under the dash

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
BaT Exclusive: 1985 Mercedes Benz 190E 16V BaT – The best vintage and classic cars for sale online

1985 Mercedes Benz 190E 23 16V Cosworth Sedan Smoke Silver For Sale - a set on Flickr

"This Smoke Silver 1985 MB 190E 16V was originally owned by a noted Mercedes collector who recently passed away. In late 2009 it was reconditioned at the MB Classic Center in Irvine, California to the tune of $11,329.28 (6-page invoice scan below) and has been driven under 2500 miles since. It is being offered by the executor of a trust, and includes both the later AMG wheels currently mounted as well as the original wheels. It is available in Newport Beach, California for $7500.
The car has 118,000 miles and has been meticulously cared for according to the seller. The AMG wheels have near-new tires, and he says it drives great. The car features the dog-leg 5-speed manual and is true to original spec apart from the wheels. Both front and rear bumpers were refinished by MB Classic to bring the overall exterior aesthetic to a very nice level, and the color looks a bit gold in the photos due to the lighting but is actually metallic silver.
The engine was given a host of maintenance and mechanical items in the recent servicing, and the Cosworth valve cover was also stripped and reconditioned to look new.
The bill for, among other things, repainting bumpers, rims, suspension work, new engine hoses, seals, new lenses, rehab drive shaft, rear axle, engine, suspension, steering, cooling system, water pump, etc. is shown below."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts