Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys;

I am looking into buying an exotic, and am comparing a few cars.

Was wondering how the maintenance is on a Viper, I do like
look for the 04+ Vipers ?

Any input would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
747 Posts
I owned a 2005 viper gts and my maintenance was not to bad. I mean in comparison to my ferrari's, its nothing. I'm trying to remember the anual cost of maintenance but im pretty sure it was under 1k. I only had about 10k miles from new when i sold it

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Very cheap, and overbuilt (aka, nothing much breaks)

back tires on the other hand are quite a bit, but as a whole, its on par with most regular cars. Just change the oil and you are good to go

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys so pretty minimal in terms of maintenance.
Which also means its dam reliable.

Could I compare an 04 Gallardo to an 04+ Viper thats what I am debating against.

Looks like maintenance wise, the viper wins by about 1 K per year. Since to maintain a Gallardo its best to have $2 K for 10 K miles.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
until you have to do the clutches in a gallardo. i can't imagine a viper's clutch is in the 5k range

·
Registered
634 Posts
Viper is much cheaper. I ran the same rear tires on my GTS for over 3 years. There was no 2005good GTS by the way....

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Thanks guys so pretty minimal in terms of maintenance.
Which also means its dam reliable.

Could I compare an 04 Gallardo to an 04+ Viper thats what I am debating against.

Looks like maintenance wise, the viper wins by about 1 K per year. Since to maintain a Gallardo its best to have $2 K for 10 K miles.
A Gallardo is MUCH more expensive, not to mention having to wait for parts and get gouged by everyone who handles the parts until they make it to you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet, looks like the viper is a lot easier to maintain.

And for parts, what is the most common repair ?

Do the parts wear out fast being such a high performance car ?

Is it hard to work on, ie can an independent mechanic work on it or better to go to the dealer ?

How many miles should I look for in an '04, priced at around 50 K ?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

And for parts, what is the most common repair ? - No real common repair, normal stuff.

Do the parts wear out fast being such a high performance car ? No, they are hard to break.

Is it hard to work on, ie can an independent mechanic work on it or better to go to the dealer ? It's basically a SBC with 2 extra cylinders on it, pushrod V10, simple trans, and diff. Any competent mechanic can work on it, but I'd take it to one you trust.

How many miles should I look for in an '04, priced at around 50 K ? For an 04 in that price range, low low miles, I'd say under 15k.
Answers in bold.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
shouldn't consider anything else, it's an issue i've been having lately. a 911 rs merica or a viper...

·
Registered
521 Posts

And for parts, what is the most common repair ?

Do the parts wear out fast being such a high performance car ?

Is it hard to work on, ie can an independent mechanic work on it or better to go to the dealer ?

How many miles should I look for in an '04, priced at around 50 K ?
1. Brakes, Tires, etc...

2. Only if you drive it like a high performance car

3. No, because the engine is big as hell and wide open

4. Probably around 15k or so. You can get an 04 for substantially cheaper than that with around 25k or so.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In terms of exterior looks, the 04+ viper looks real nice.

But interior wise, it could have some improvements.

Im more into driving a nice car, not worrying to much about maintenance and repairs. I dont mind spending 1 K a year on maintenance. But when an engine blows in a Gallardo and not under warranty there goes 12 k at least. With who knows how long in down time.

Most of the the 04 Gallardo do not come with warranty.

Another reason is the closest Lambo dealership is about 2 hrs away.

The one big pro of a gallardo is that it is more of an Exotic.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Gallardo motor is much more then 12k.

Look into an 03 viper (thats when they went to the 3rd gen, not 04)

You shouldn't mind 1k/year maintenance, thats what civics need. I had mine for 4 years and didn't have to change anything but the oil and tires (they were bald when I bough it) So it cost me even less then 1k/y

Exotic cars have exotic problems, it takes ALOT of the fun out of it unless you have seriously deep pockets

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
a 911 gt3 engine is 40k, i think a gallardo is way more than 12k. a ford diesel motor is a lil more than 12k

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
What about interior comfort. I'm a big guy who needs lot's of hip and leg room.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
shouldn't consider anything else, it's an issue i've been having lately. a 911 rs merica or a viper...
those 2 are nothing alike....the Pcar is on a whole different level..... can you even find a RS america?? i thought those were purdy rare

1 - 20 of 57 Posts