Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contemplating switching my C63AMG with a 2010 BMW M6. However, I have no experience at all with them so looking for some input from the people that own it or have experience with them. What is the reliability like? How expensive is it to maintain? Any particular things I should look out for or be worried about? Strictly speaking of the 2010 model.

Basically I want to find out everything there is about them before I actually get one. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Gas is worse, burns up more oil. I unfortunately hit a wood post in a driveway that messed up bottom oil cooler. Never ran right after $600 of repair. Headlamp also was expensive replacing. Ended up switching to 2012 c63 amg for a bit so I could have warranty again. M6 was my favorite car I have ownd will buy one again when they are cheaper to own for fun again :p

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have owned e46 m3 and m6 (2008) and honestly the m6 was in my opinion one of the best looking cars i have owned but for daily use kind of annoying. I couldn't find a 6spd so i settled for the smg which always seemed kind of glitchy but i expected that after years of reading about its problems. the front cabin was great but the back seat for such a big car was terrible. Performance wise, the sound, the overall power and everything else was surreal for me, but i was honestly buying at the time for the wow factor and v10. i dont think it is much of a step up from a c63 but more of a different experience because they are so different in so many ways, but just by reading your post, i don't know if i would jump into the m6 unless your unhappy with the AMG and have a budget limiting you to that car and that year. I just found so many of the older models plagued with constant nuances that i did not expect from a 70k car (bought it CPO 7,000 miles, early lease return). No one wants to read a novel here but feel free to PM me if you want more specifics.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input. After doing some research and weighing the options, I think I've decided against switching the C63 right now. I do love the car and I've only had it for a year. I am going to wait to ride out the warranty period at least and then get something bigger and better like a 911 or a GTR.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
we have had an m3 m5 and m6. All of which suffered from destroyed/rotted/marshmellowed steering/suspension/motor/transmission/diff bushings/mounts at all around 30-40k miles. Engineered problems for $$$$ at a dealer. Parts costs is almost non existent but the labor involved is major service level absurd for it. no other failures of any kind but the real stuff that irritates me about all of them is the completely NON linear throttle in any setting mode. Its nothing, nothing, nothing, WOT and impossible to modulate in mid throttle, making corner exit exceedingly difficult.

I would totally have a c63 (p30) over any bmw product now.

Perhaps wait for the new 4L tt c63 to come out in summer. Im particurlarly interested in seeing it after my mother bought a new c300amg pk car

·
Registered
478 Posts
we have had an m3 m5 and m6. All of which suffered from destroyed/rotted/marshmellowed steering/suspension/motor/transmission/diff bushings/mounts at all around 30-40k miles. Engineered problems for $$$$ at a dealer. Parts costs is almost non existent but the labor involved is major service level absurd for it. no other failures of any kind but the real stuff that irritates me about all of them is the completely NON linear throttle in any setting mode. Its nothing, nothing, nothing, WOT and impossible to modulate in mid throttle, making corner exit exceedingly difficult.

I would totally have a c63 (p30) over any bmw product now.

Perhaps wait for the new 4L tt c63 to come out in summer. Im particurlarly interested in seeing it after my mother bought a new c300amg pk car
Many tit for tat issues with my M6, but my e46 M3 i owned from 18,000 to over 85,000 miles and besides routine maintenance (which i was OCD about) the only thing that ever broke or had to be replaced was the moonroof tub which i broke by opening it with a ton of ice and snow on it by accident and it cracked. That car to me was Heaven and treated me almost to well! Sorry for thread jacking but the e46 is a soft spot for me :)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
5 BMW's and no issues at all including the M5. I love the M6. I think it's totally different and on another level than the c63

·
14,490 Posts
It's a great car. If you get an SMG just make sure to replace he SMG relay for good measure. New diff fluid, replace rod bearing every 80k miles and that's that.
The car does consume a lot of oil all M motors do. BUT if you do your oil changes every 4-5k miles you'll only consume about a quart. I'm due for an oil change and gone past my usual 5k. I'm at 6,300 miles and I've consumed 3 quarts lol.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It's a great car. If you get an SMG just make sure to replace he SMG relay for good measure. New diff fluid, replace rod bearing every 80k miles and that's that.
The car does consume a lot of oil all M motors do. BUT if you do your oil changes every 4-5k miles you'll only consume about a quart. I'm due for an oil change and gone past my usual 5k. I'm at 6,300 miles and I've consumed 3 quarts lol.
Out of the 3 we had none consumed a drop of oil ever. Same with the other 5 or 6 regular bmws. I mean not a drop

However I wouldn't be alarmed if it did. Just like the guys with s2000's. Most use 1qt per 1500-2000miles and my buddy's avid track day car never uses a drop.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have heard of SMG II cars (E60 M5s and E63/64 M6s) having hydraulic issues related to the SMG that are somewhat annoying to replace.

Have not heard many bad things motor wise. Would love an E60 M5 with a manual.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Love my E64 M6. No issues. It does burn a little oil when you drive it "properly" but who cares?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts