Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Do you have FI on the M5? If not its a lot of money for not much gain.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
No experience with these on a M5, but I have had a lot of real world experience with Okada Projects direct replacement coils and each time I have noticed a drastic improvement on throttle response (all honda/acura applications). Forget dyno numbers and mpg numbers. I did all that too and a few HP and 1-2 mpg is nothing I would use to sell a product to someone because no way to prove it was the coils and who cares honestly about that little gain for an expensive part.

The most noticed difference was on my 06 S2000. When at a light and you throttle to start moving, there is always hesitation. people blamed the DBW, people blamed the factory tune. I could tell when on the dyno it had to do with ignition (spark). Changed only the coils and it went away.

Its expensive, so if there is nothing wrong with your stock ones, i dont see a need UNLESS you are creating more power than just bolt-ons and the stock coils cant produce enough spark.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Chances are, stock coils are JUST FINE! Check/gap the plugs and move on.

FWIW, most of the 1000+ hp vipers are on stock coils, which are actually two coils (one 4cyl, one 6cyl) which are stock parts from MINIVANS!

It doesn't take much to efficiently light off a newer motor.

·
14,490 Posts
^^
I agree. OEM coils are fine. But coils do get shitty with age. It's always good to get new coils every 2 years if you drive like a normal person. If you have a supercharger or turbo etc.. I'd change them every year or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts