Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 08 M3 sedan. I have been looking at GT-R's now for a while (not seriously). Got a phone call tonight from a friend wanting to sell his 2010 silver GT-R with 1300 miles. I know the car and it is a no-story car, he just gets bored very quickly. Seems to be a decent deal. This would be a weekend ride, just for fun. I don't ever use the back seat in the M3 and don't really need the 4 doors. Just would like something a little more sporty for a weekend ride (about 6k per year).

Any thoughts? Has anyone owned both of these cars?

·
Registered
519 Posts
If it's a no story GTR, and that is what you are looking for then go for it. Two different kinds of animals, but the GTR will be a lot of fun. Not saying your M3 isn't, but the AWD in the GTR, and potential for mods is limitless.
________
Web Shows

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
just dont recline your seat to far, never launch it, be sure to always drive slow....

one thing that made me dislike the gtr was nissans warranty policy for this car

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had a lot of time with the e46 and e92 and currently own a 2010 GT-R.

If it's a weekend driver for you and the badge doesn't bother you, hands down GT-R smokes the M3 in every possible performance category and that's coming from a guy who originally thought he'd never buy and $80,000 Nissan and had preordered a 2008 M3 at the end of 2006. The GT-R is as close to the world of exotic sports cars one can go without truly entering into the Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. from performance and rarity.

On the flip side, GT-R paint quality is as poor as all Nissans. All Nissans including GT-R's, have that typical "orange peel" paint job with super soft paint that scratches when you look at it. Don't be fooled by the special super silver $3000 paint. The transmission gets louder over time and of course unlike your BMW, maintenance with the Nissan it's on you. Nissan does have free services on the GT-R that are performed at certain time intervals, but it does not cover oil changes. I only have 3000 miles on mine and don't drive my cars very hard, so I have not experienced personally any of the horrible maintenance stories that are floating around out there.

As a heads up, you may be able to pick up a brand new 2010 GT-R for marginally more than what your friend is willing to part with his. Dealerships can't move them right now and are willing to deal to get rid of them because of their cost to floor plan.

Fun car, turns heads, and if you don't need the four doors yet go for it. You only live once. Let me know what you decide.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I'm a SKYLINE GTR freak and you really can belive me that without serious modifications (non power wise) you will have nothing but trouble with the R35 GTR. You may have some fun on a track but that will only last 4 one lap. I was all wet about that car (- the looks) before it came out but ever since I drove it and friends got nothing but trouble with it plus Nissans insurance and warranty issues I just hated it.

Keep the M3. Its the best in its biz and always will be.

·
Registered
883 Posts
GTR!!!!!! I have driven the wheels off of one and loved every minute of it!! M3 is not even close!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had a lot of time with the e46 and e92 and currently own a 2010 GT-R.

If it's a weekend driver for you and the badge doesn't bother you, hands down GT-R smokes the M3 in every possible performance category and that's coming from a guy who originally thought he'd never buy and $80,000 Nissan and had preordered a 2008 M3 at the end of 2006. The GT-R is as close to the world of exotic sports cars one can go without truly entering into the Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. from performance and rarity.

On the flip side, GT-R paint quality is as poor as all Nissans. All Nissans including GT-R's, have that typical "orange peel" paint job with super soft paint that scratches when you look at it. Don't be fooled by the special super silver $3000 paint. The transmission gets louder over time and of course unlike your BMW, maintenance with the Nissan it's on you. Nissan does have free services on the GT-R that are performed at certain time intervals, but it does not cover oil changes. I only have 3000 miles on mine and don't drive my cars very hard, so I have not experienced personally any of the horrible maintenance stories that are floating around out there.

As a heads up, you may be able to pick up a brand new 2010 GT-R for marginally more than what your friend is willing to part with his. Dealerships can't move them right now and are willing to deal to get rid of them because of their cost to floor plan.

Fun car, turns heads, and if you don't need the four doors yet go for it. You only live once. Let me know what you decide.
I can get it for about 10k back of invoice of a new one. I don't think any dealers would be willing to go that low. Silver wouldn't be my first color choice but it's ok.

As far as maintenance goes, i'm not that scared. I have the room to turn a wrench if need be and I don't think it will be too bad at only 6k miles per yr.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had an E93 M3 before my GTR and it is completely different car. The M3 was a great daily cruiser that could still move. The GTR on the other hand is hard to stay unnoticed while driving. The attention I get while driving is unbelievably. The GTR is a rocket even stock, you through a tune in it and you're driving a very very fast car. :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
"I can get it for about 10k back of invoice of a new one. I don't think any dealers would be willing to go that low. Silver wouldn't be my first color choice but it's ok."

Sounds good...I'd go for it.

Smith2287 comments are dead on. M3 is no doubt still the benchmark that most sub $100K coupes measure themselves too, but the GT-R is aiming higher.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The GTR is a ver fast car I've driven both never owned either. I would have to say go for the GTR it's a completely different car just as others have said.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
M3 is sexy! Love the wheels! Why in the Hell are you getting rid of it~~~

1 - 20 of 40 Posts