Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new house will be finished in about 7 weeks. My commute will go from 3 miles to 62 miles. I am going to be doing some shopping for a used luxury car that gets good mpg, is comfy, and reliable..

Ive never really considered any lexus or audi's, but now maybe I should. My diesel only gets 15mpg on a good day and the vette is not a commuter in any way, shape or form.

The new car has to be reliable enough to be able to handle having about 40k miles a year put on it. And of course its got to look good!

Any suggestions?

Price range for a used one is probably going to be under $25k.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you're going to kick the crap out of something anyway and blow $25k on it, at least save a little coin on gas and get a Jetta TDI... I know, I know, not going to turn a lot of heads with it, but I've been commuting 166 miles a day round trip and I bought one last December..... now that it's broken in, I'm getting 42mpg per tankful, all turnpike driving...

and when I'm feeling particularly humbled, I take the "weekend" car to work......

seriously, you can't go wrong with jetta diesels....

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered one of those in the beginning but the car is just too small to take clients to lunch in.

·
Registered
333 Posts
clients understand "smart"..... if you don't do a lot of entertaining for your job and you have a second car, swap out when you need to...... trust me, i struggled with "downgrading" when my commute changed from 8 miles......

I also looked at the CC, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on such a purchase that was purely "utilitarian".....

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Might want to look into a used CTS. Sharp looking car and decent size. If not a Buick Lucerme (i know BUICK!!) but it's a good looking car with a great interior and it is a solid build car.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the idea of the CTS

·
Registered
234 Posts
probably some selection of Hybrids out there from the Lexus side, or then again around 25k if you find some Bluetec Benz pre-owned options? I believe at 25k you might be looking at 3 series / C class / IS categories

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I like the Lexus GS 300 series. I think its the 06-08 or 09 models. They can come with AWD and are nice and comfortable. Don't know about gas mileage with the v6 models...but my friend had the 430 and that drank gas like crazy.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I know you probably won't think of acura as a luxury car. But the TL and TSX are comfortable and in your price range and the TSX will sip gas.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I know you probably won't think of acura as a luxury car. But the TL and TSX are comfortable and in your price range and the TSX will sip gas.
I LOVE my TSX. It's got 171k + miles and it runs perfectly. It's been the lowest-cost car, maintenance wise and it's got all the extras standard.
I haven't had to do any major repairs, just keeping up with basic maintenance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Depending on what you are looking for a LS430 might be an interesting one to try. As an only car it would suck, but if you are just looking to burn some highway miles it will be great. Great seats, good horsepower, great stereo, adapive cruse control, and it is amazingly quiet. Gas mileage is decent on the highway. Downside is numb steering and it sucks in the corners. This car was just made to go hundreds of miles at a time.

·
Registered
332 Posts
What about a 2011 Buick Regal or a Subaru Legacy/Outback? The new Hyundai is getting suprizingly positive reviews. A Nissan Altima or Maxima: upscale Infiniti cousins of the Maxima ( G35 or G37) ?

Audi is still thinking Diesel A4 in near future for US market.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
If you like the sound of a CTS then look into a first generation CTS-V. Would be a very fun commuter car and actually gets pretty damn good mileage on the highway (not so much in town).

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
i'd say maybe a G35, TSX is also a great choice. How about a bmw 335D. 30mpg combined driving, probably more only on the highway.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Funny you say that. I was just thinking about that after I recommended the Lexus. I drive a TL and love it. I'd go for a 08 TL Type S or similar. They get decent gas mileage...high 20's low 30's. Interior is nice and looks good. And extended warranties on these cars are dirt cheap.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
^^ You probably won't even need an extended warranty. The only things I've had to fix on my TSX are just things that wear out over 170k+ miles.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The W220 S-classes were plagued with reliability problems :\ I'd say go with a used W211 E-class, like an E320. Or like said before, the VW CC is a very good car....and it would probably be the newest car you could buy for that price range.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i say the cadillac sts is your best option, very comfortable car, good for clients and looks good too

1 - 20 of 24 Posts