Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm currently vacationing in Paris (part of a 7 week European vacation that I'm taking with my family) and took a look at the Louis Vuitton Tambour Automatic Chronograph as I bought my wife another handbag:lol: at their flagship store on the Champs-Elysees.

I'm not a watch connoisseur by any means but I do want to buy a quality timepiece that will last a while. I do want an automatic watch but I'm not concerned about accuracy as long as it isn't off by too much at the end of the month. The only other watch I have is a Rolex Datejust (white dial, gold bezel, two-tone bracelet) and I've been thinking about buying another timepiece. The watch I've been looking at before today was the Rolex Submariner (black dial, two tone bracelet, gold bezel) and now I have to make a choice. The Tambour is only 5600 dollars in paris (almost a thousand euros cheaper then in the US) while the Rolex will run me about 9500 because I know the biggest Rolex dealer in the West:D.

Anyways, I was hoping to ask you guys before I went back to the store on what your advice would be to do. Should I buy the Tambour? I will probaly buy the Submariner regardless so this isn't really a comparison post. I've attached pictures of the three watches mentioned in this post.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I vote a NO to the LV, I do however like the Hermes watch line if you are into fashion watches

·
Gold Sponsor
1,534 Posts
i would NEVER spend that kind of money on a fashion watch, there are so many better watches for the money you could get

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think they are a good looking watch but have never been a fan of "fashion" brands. LV's are really thick to the point where they are not that comfortable to wear and always get hung up on clothing.

·
Gold Sponsor
1,534 Posts
doooood buy a pre owned 2 tone rolex for about the same money, i think i even have one.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I think LV watches are more than just a fashion watch. There has been a lot of input from elite brands like Bvlgari and Zenith in the development of the LV line or at least that's what LVMH wants you to think. I would buy a Tambour but only knowing full well that its resale value is not anywhere near the initial investment. I think they are hot watches.

·
10,594 Posts
Pretty much what Davido said although they haven't pulled themselves away from the fashion stigma as much as say...Cartier. I do like some of the new/different detail. But you will get smacked upside the head with resale value if you pay anywhere near retail. Here is the diver....

·
Registered
643 Posts
Not sure which movement this watch has but I believe it has the Zenith El Primero movement, same as the Rolex Daytona. Last time I went to LV they were telling me about their tourbillon watch and it is pretty amazing. Do a little research on it.

·
Gold Sponsor
1,534 Posts
I think the biggest problem is the re sale on them, its gonna tank hard

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
@Sal - if LV boutique is only source do they actually discount? I have always stayed the F away from flagship boutiques except to see and try pieces and to come home with nice photo books of the collection. Do boutiques ever discount?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yes to the LV! The resell value might not be there, but I think the LV piece would be suitable for the watch collector looking to add a lil "fashion" to their collection. I know a few die-hard collectors whom have stepped out of the box and bought a matching LV watch set for himself and his wife. The wifey and I are actually looking to do the same. One thing though, I'm not totally sure if it will be cheaper purchasing the watch overseas. Might want to check prices overseas and then compare to a LV retailer in the states. Happy shopping!

·
Gold Sponsor
1,534 Posts
Yeah but the same money as a 2 tone submariner? i'll take the sub every time

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yeah but the same money as a 2 tone submariner? i'll take the sub every time
Ditto.
I like the Leather work at LV, but id rather them not be one stop shopping for all my stuff. Still in the end, its your opinion that really matters.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts