Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reading this article: The Everyday Supercar

It left me wondering is the Evora a Supercar? What truely makes a car a Supercar? Speed, horsepower, engine location, limited production, performance?

Based on the handling, limited production, mid-engine layout and having driven the Evora I give it the Supercar stamp, but what do you think?

·
Registered
62 Posts
an exotic, but maybe not a super car based on performance numbers, imo... cause that would make a Mustang GT a super car too other than for limited production.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
it isn't a supercar. it's got a toyota engine and chassis from elise. it looks so so too.

super cars have to have more than just performance. it has to have presence and look good. i dont even consider 911 a supercar. imo, the supercars are made from zonda, ferrari, lamborghini, koengsegg, mclaren, etc. the only supercar from lotus would be the esprit, back in the 80's and early 90's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is it horsepower? price? Because I consider Zondas and Veyrons Hypercars. Supercars are more like the Gallardo, F430, 599 or 911 Turbo type of cars. Considering this they just announced they have made 10,000 Gallardos, so the Evora will be more exclusive then a $200k+ 500hp with a top speed of 202 mph. Look at the Nissan GTR for example, Supercar?

Any thoughts? Supercar VS Hypercar?

Also any thoughts on the article?

·
Registered
14,922 Posts
ok everyones def is different for sure and i can honestly see why to someone the EVORA would be "super"

u can drive it everyday, it can outperform 90% of the cars on the road, its damn rare, and honestly beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and IMHO it looks pure sex!!!

with the release of the S version, it would even make the claim a bit harder to disapprove

my .02

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
So is it horsepower? price? Because I consider Zondas and Veyrons Hypercars. Supercars are more like the Gallardo, F430, 599 or 911 Turbo type of cars. Considering this they just announced they have made 10,000 Gallardos, so the Evora will be more exclusive then a $200k+ 500hp with a top speed of 202 mph. Look at the Nissan GTR for example, Supercar?

i think thats subjective to the individual. to me gallardos, and 430s are not supercars. just regular sports cars. I really dont even consider them exotic

supercars, to me, are cars that push the performance barrier that other sports cars, a grade down, cannot meet for a good 4-5 years (enzo, cgt, murc sv) and hypercars to me are cars that push the envelope so far that it takes a good 10 years for another car a grade down to catch up to (mclaren, the egg, veyron)
there is also other issues as to how compromising the design it...how raw is it.

and there will always be hypercars....lots of people and mags refers to hayabusas, zx14, cbr1100, and zx12r as hyperbikes...so why should cars not be referred to as in the same way

·
Registered
633 Posts

Price is covered in the exclusivity for the most part, but yes price is part of it. Horsepower is kinda another implied, to get the performance you will most likely have the horsepower. Gallardo, F430 and Porsches are exotics yes but not supercars IMO, mainly because there are other "higher ranked" cars in the family that are produced. I would say some examples would be;
Murci
CGT
Kegg
Saleen
Apollo
Buggatti

I am not sure of others definition of hypercar, but I would say any of those extra special editions of the top supercars like the 599 GTO, Murci SV, Veyron SS etc.

Just my .02

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Evora is a sports car, nothing more. The term supercar is thrown around far too much nowadays.

A modern supercar, loosely defined, has at least a good 500 horsepower, I'd say. I like the Evora, but a supercar it isn't.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
What the hell is a hypercar? People just making up terms??
I think a lot of people consider all Ferraris, Lambos, ect super cars, and I think that hyper car was just a term to describe the range topping car for a brand. IE Gallardo might be considered a super car and Murcielago a Hyper car? Actually I think I just read that on this forum somewhere.

But that would make a 599 GTO a hyper car while a Veyron is just a super car...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson first used the term "hypercar" on the Zonda R I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was something in season 13? 14? I think he calls 4 or 5 cars Hypercars.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson first used the term "hypercar" on the Zonda R I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was something in season 13? 14? I think he calls 4 or 5 cars Hypercars.
I thought he said "Lamborghini has always been King of the Hypercars" right before and during the LP640 interview.

Also:

"Supercars are designed to mess with G-Forces,
Hypercars are designed to mess with G-Strings" :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts