Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Things have been going really well for me this year.. Bought a house got promoted a few times hit some bonuses etc... Im looking for a new watch. I am using a 600 dollar citizen for a daily and it has just frankly seen better days. I am looking at these two watches below.. Both automatic and blue faced.. Im partial to this color for some reason.. Can anyone offer up any advice as I have never looked at these before

Jared - TAG Heuer Men's Watch Automatic Aquaracer WAK2111.BA0830

Jared - TAG Heuer Men's Watch Aquaracer Calibre 5 WAN2111.BA0822

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I agree with other comments. If you are looking for that style watch, go with Omega or Rolex. Rolex will hold best value.

Sent from my CGT

·
Registered
339 Posts
As others have said, a used Omega, Rolex, or even Breitling would be better watches in that price range.

With the Rolex, you are going to be going with the airking, date or datejust category, which are smaller watches (date & ak is 34mm, dj is 36). If you stretch the budget, you may get into an explorer or beat up sub if you look hard enough. The only downside here, is that the older and more beat it is, the closer it probably is to needing serviced - when adding that in, you could get a lot nicer watch.

You could get a number of different used Breitlings in a number of different styles. They are usually more flashy, and a great watch, but don't hold their value well after the initial purchase, so don't buy new.

Omega is one I am least familiar with, but personally, I would put it more in between the Rolex and the Breitling as far as style and holding value goes.

Just my opinions. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I said used, I meant buy a used watch that you can benefit from the fact that they do not hold value very well. You can get a used Tag/Breitling for a fraction of the price as a new one.

Others say Omega and Rolex, problem is (in a good way) they hold their value very well (specifically rolex) so you will have a tough time finding one in the price range you are looking for and if you do, it more then likely will not look like the same type of watch you are currently looking for. I don't think its fair to go for a chrono busy new TAG for the same price as say a older used extremely plain rolex. Resell wise they will be about the same price, but will you be getting the type of watch you like is the question.

Good luck on your search

·
Registered
913 Posts
For the record I have no quality/finish issues with my TAG (Carrera, Calibre 5) that I wear everyday, So its not like it'll fall apart or anything (What it was sounding like from some of these posts). When I see that style, I always think of a Rolex Sub. Just pick one that you like...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
TAG's are cool but yeah always get used. The resale is suck unless you have a monaco. I personally like the Monaco and vintage non TAG Heuer's They can be gotten for around what you want sometimes. Zenith made a square el primero chrono with a blue face that is rad back in the 70's

I can't think of any other blue dials but perhaps Ennebi can make something cool for you. Not gonna be $2800 but you will have a real custom watch ask Samurai if they can do something like that for you :D Vintage VDB could make a custom for you too but not for $2800 as well

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the calibre 5 in black, I love it. It is automatic, so it does need movement daily. It is very accurate. Sniped it off of ebay for $800.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post here but I've been a lurker for quite a while. Between the two Aquaracers, I like the first one more; but if it was me, I'd save a bit of money and get a preloved Omega Speedmaster (no, I know it isn't a diver like the TAGs, but still), something that has a long, storied history and provenance behind it. I'm sure the TAGs are nice watches and I've handled my fair share of them, but you will take a massive hit in resale as the others have stated; they're a good deal if you can find one used. But when looking for a watch, the best advice I can give you is to find an AD and try them on; you'll know which one you want when it'll sing to you on your wrist.

BTW congrats on the promotion:clap:

Reactions: NstoutBMW

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check out the Perrelet Seacraft, great watch for the money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cant go wrong with a Rolex. I say find one second hand, year or two old maybe, if ya dont wanns pony up for retail. They're classy, recongizeable, and its a good first plunge into time peice investment. Keep in clean, tuned, will last a long time too.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Early 2000s seiko sportura.... Sexy watch

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I wound up with the Tag Agua racer.. Did not pay what there site says.. went with all stainless out of fear for the gold looking bad after a few years of my hand sliding back and forth on the desk at work..

photo.JPG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts