Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my car, I put in a complete JL system, but now after bout 4 yrs, im looking for a possible change. Not just that, but the alpine head unit I got, is now randomly starting to turn on and off, and also the base is starting to "fade"....seems i have to turn the volume up, to get the same "kick", where as before even little volume, and I could feel the base....or maybe its just my hearing going bad perhaps?

I'd like to look at other speaker systems, but I know that JL is "the best out there". I'm also looking at this kenwood headunit ( Kenwood - 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod®-/Satellite Radio-Ready In-Dash CD Deck - Black - KDC-HD545U )

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
jl isn't the best out there. defiently not bad but not the best. what kind of kind / budget are you trying to work with. what are you trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really just want some new subs...possibly some new door speakers. What's a good brand for a 1k budget?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
hertz makes some phenomenal speakers and subs for all kinds of prices ranges. just depends on how much power and size requirements. whats the air of the boxes you have now? how much power and amps are you running? any pics you can post would help as well to give a better idea of what we have to work with!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics, but I dont know what the numbers on the amps mean. I guess the 300 and 500 mean the # of amps?

I listen to a lot of rap, but some metal as well, so I like to hear the rumble :) but I also want to hear the lyrics too.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do I control the size of the images? good god. I tried to use the file manager but the pics kept failing to upload.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Well have you thought about pulling the headunit out to see if the installers used butt connectors on the radio. They may have started to rust out and fail. Causing a short robbing you of bass. I would take Mitchs' advice and look into Hertz/Audison equipment.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ thanks for the advise. I talked to an installer at bestbuy (where I'm going to get my headunit and have them install it) he said that in his opinion, he would replace the radio all together. But I'll ask him and see what he says about the connectors, and see if he tried to avoid the question, but he doesnt get paid a commission or anything so there is really no benefit for him to lie to me, unless he just doesn't know what he's talkin about.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Best Buy might be the worst place for you to go. If you want I could reach out to some of the better people in your area for you to go talk with. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have connections in Birmingham? Actually there was a company that installed my system was a company called "Sounds Great Stereo" . I thought they went out of business because I cant find their site, but I found them on google maps, so I'll give them a call.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
definitely look for a quality audio shop like james said. best buy is kind of a slam shop. they aren't really big on doing custom work let a lone higher end work to make it all nice. the design in the back is very simple and looks like it could definitely use some updating. let us know any other help you need with equipment or anything else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts