Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm constantly on this forum and see all the amazing cars, watches, and photography. From what has been posted over the few years I've been here has made me get into photography more. I've had a Canon Rebel XTi with the standard 18-55mm lens & the 55-200mm lens that has met my needs for just occasional photography. However, I recently purchased a Canon Rebel 3Ti and have been using it a lot more and getting comfortable with it. With that said, I think it's time to invest in my first lens.

I shoot cars 75-80% of the time. The others would consist of shoes, watches, interior things. Lastly, I shoot outside (i.e. skylines, downtown buildings, etc). I really have no experience with other lenses outside of the ones I mentioned. I do shoot in RAW, I shoot in manual or aperture priority given the setting, keep ISO low, and getting more and more comfortable with Lightroom.

I've been looking at the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens on Amazon. Here is the link: Amazon.com: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens: CANON: Camera & Photo

Everyone talks it up like it's the best $100 lens out there. I'd like to stay around that price range, nothing more than $200 max. The reviews look promising, but I want to make sure this is even a lens that would suit my needs? Do you guys have any pros or cons regarding this lens or can you point me in another direction?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
377 Posts
It is highly regarded because it is a great lens in many ways. The quality of the pictures is arguably as good as the 50 1.4 and the 1.2 which are both considerably more expensive. Having such a high aperture will give you more creative freedom while the fixed focal length makes you really take the composition into consideration because you can't just zoom in and out. For what you shoot, the wide open setting will give you great detail shots with that nice blurry background.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I have a Nikon D3100 (not full frame), but I love my 35mm f/1.8.

I'd think 50mm may be a bit too much zoom, since 50mm on a crop sensor is like 80mm on a full frame.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Canon has a new 40mm lens which is a bit better IMO as it's a bit more wide angle. Picked up mine a few days back. Costs a bit more than the 50mm but not by much.

·
Registered
490 Posts
With a budget of $200 or less, nothing will even come remotely close to what a Canon 50mm f1.8 will give you. It's probably the best bang for your buck out of any lens out there regardless of your budget. A 50mm on a crop body is fairly tight, but since you say you are pretty new to photography, this can actually work in your favor. It forces you to think more creatively and makes you move towards or away from the subject to get the proper composition. This can really help teach you a lot about composition in general. Having a zoom is useful, but often, it makes us lazy and we tend to just zoom in or out instead of maximizing the power of depth of field, composition and framing. Anyways, enough with my rambling lol, the 50mm f1.8 is your best bet hands down!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I think I'm sold on it. I looked at the customer submitted photos posted on Amazon and the depth of field is amazing. And for $110, you really can't beat it. Appreciate the feedback! Looking forward to throwing it on and getting some shots with it!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
What's even better than its $100 price is that it's razor sharp and free of distortion. Just don't bang it around because it has a plastic mount which won't hold up to abuse as would a metal mount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts