Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a 2007+ ski boat- natuique, mastercraft, gekko. must be a bow rider but doesn't have to be a pure ski boat, something like a mastercraft x14 would work.

if anyone knows of anything please let me know. I am in new hampshire but can work with just about anywhere

·
Registered
419 Posts
Craiglook.com

Tons of decent deals out there now that can be negotiated into good deals. Most people with the 2007+ models still have a payment and they're looking at selling now or making payments for the next 5 months on a boat that will be sitting under a cover in their backyard all winter long. It gives them a lot of incentive to sell at a discount.

Keep in mind that the boat shows will have great deals on 2010 models during the first few months of 2011. Unless your budget has a hard stop it might be in your best interest to buy a new boat with a new warranty for $10k-$15k below sticker rather than dealing with a used boat at almost the same cost.

I wouldn't really be looking at Moombas, Gekkos, or any of the other budget brands. I'll take a 5 year old Nautique over one of those any day.

If I hear of anyone selling a boat within my circle of friends I'll let you know, but otherwise I'd just keep my eye on Craigslist.com via the craiglook.com link I posted.

Malibus & Nautiques are great. Mastercrafts are top notch boats, but the styling is questionable in my opinion. I love the Mastercraft Maristars thanks to their classic styling, but I don't know if their wakeboard boat designs will stand the test of time. Supra, Tige, and MB make great boats, but dealer support seems to be regional for them which could become an issue since you're looking at newer (in warranty) boats.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am a skiier- so a nautique 206 or a mastercraft prostar 197tt is the premier boat, however i have friends that wake board and we also do some tubing so a hybrid boat like the x14 isnt a terrible option. Open to all ideas just wondering if anyone knew of something.

i have a garage to store it in so thats why I was looking now to see if there were any end of season deals and i havent found anything thats all that enticing yet.

Thanks for the info skack.

·
Registered
419 Posts
So you're looking for a straight inboard, right? The Nautique 206 and 197tt are a couple of beauties. I did spot this one the other day, but I wasn't interested just because I'm stuck on vDrives: 2006 Malibu Sunsetter LXI Looks like a decent slalom boat, but with the wakeboard tower and the wedge your wakeboarding friends are guaranteed to be happy too. It's close by, so I could give it a quick preliminary look for you if you were seriously interested.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
prices must be a little higher down your way than up here, that boat would be 26ish up here- but does look nice. The issue i see is they just say "cruise control", in order to ski behind it and compete it has to have zero off perfect pass which is a pain to add after the fact. Appreciate the heads up if you see something else be sure to let me know

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
prices must be a little higher down your way than up here, that boat would be 26ish up here- but does look nice. The issue i see is they just say "cruise control", in order to ski behind it and compete it has to have zero off perfect pass which is a pain to add after the fact. Appreciate the heads up if you see something else be sure to let me know

You would only need the perfect pass if you plan on volunteering your boat for the comp's tow boat..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Zero Off for speed control is the way to go.
I believe it only works on the Throttle by Wire controls, so check the throttle control, to make sure it is electronic and not mechanical. Most of the higher-end Nautiques came with it.
2007 and up, I believe were all throttle by wire..
Much nicer to use than the Perfect Pass.

I've owned Nautiques, and worked on them at my own shop, and for a Nautique dealer. My first boat back in '86 was a 1975 Nautique. I sold it and it's still going strong. The boats from 2003 and up are outstanding. Quality, nice lines, engines, etc.

2010 Nautique 200-- Win!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I still have the enzo up for sale. great boat.

·
Registered
621 Posts
We've had a few ski boats (Ski Nautique Air Nautique, Mastercraft X-Star, and a Malibu Wakesetter) and Mlaibus are by far the best one. Can't go wrong

·
Registered
419 Posts
I love Malibus, but all the people I know who have bought them in the last few years have had problems with the seat vinyl while under warranty. Either the vinyl started coming apart in high traffic areas like where you step into the boat from the dock or it started developing some kind of pink stain that can't be cleaned off (apparently this is a common problem). All were covered under warranty although the stain problem took a little bit of complaining iirc. They tried to tell him it was the fault of his cover, but he was using the Malibu cover that came with the boat. It's going to stink if the problems recur within a few years and they have to pay for it out of pocket now that their warranties are going out.

The Wakesetter VLX is absolutely a top tier boat IMO and I'd love to own one, but I'd have to wonder if Correct Craft & Mastercraft boat owners are having these types of issues.

^ What is it that sets the Malibu apart from their competitors? I'm seriously interested simply because I haven't had a lot of experience with MC or newer Nautiques.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The pink stain is mildew.

It is the vinyl that is used, and it doesnt have the mildew resistant fabric. in it.

I know that the seat foam in the Nautiques is wrapped in plastic, and or they use a foam that doesnt trap water. No water=no mildew.

I have worked on all of the big brands of tournament ski boats, and they all have there strong and weak points.

If I was going to get a boat, 2006 and up, I think I would get a Nautique.
Long term resale value, better engines, quieter transmission, the engine sits level, thicker fiberglass, better quality on all the tactile parts, and they just sound better.

I've owned Nautiques, Malibus, Sangers, American Skier, and worked on Supras, Ski Centurions, and MasterCrafts in 25 years of servicing tournament ski boats.

Drive them all, and choose the one that is right for you, that does what you want.

Have a look on the forums,

Planet Nautique, Malibu Crew, and whatever the MasterCraft site is...

The other thing to consider is what kind of person your dealer is. If you've heard he is a prick, don't buy a boat from him.

I can tell you some of the slimy techniques the dealers of certain brands will use on you...especially when you want to get out of there and not come back.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know that the seat foam in the Nautiques is wrapped in plastic, and or they use a foam that doesnt trap water. No water=no mildew.
When I recovered my Nautique's back seat bottom there was a layer of plastic between the foam and the vinyl. It was only on the top part of the foam; it did not completely encase the foam. It's a 1993 and I'm very happy with how well the rest of the interior is holding up (including the seat back for the rear seat).

I can tell you some of the slimy techniques the dealers of certain brands will use on you...especially when you want to get out of there and not come back.
I have no plans to upgrade any time soon, but please do.

I'm a member on CorrectCraftFan. I have accounts at Planet Nautique and Malibu Crew, but mostly for access to their classifieds section. Where are you located?

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I recovered my Nautique's back seat bottom there was a layer of plastic between the foam and the vinyl. It was only on the top part of the foam; it did not completely encase the foam. It's a 1993 and I'm very happy with how well the rest of the interior is holding up (including the seat back for the rear seat).

I have no plans to upgrade any time soon, but please do.

I'm a member on CorrectCraftFan. I have accounts at Planet Nautique and Malibu Crew, but mostly for access to their classifieds section. Where are you located?
Slimy technique no. 1. When you just want to get the hell out of the dealer, cuz he is a turd, you give him the "we're just going to go and have lunch, and think about it " line, he gives you $10 to "pick up a sandwich and drink for him, and then we can talk when you come back...I don't come back, but I do phone him and thank him for the $10 credit towards my lunch!
Slimy technique no. 2. When you're sitting in the driver's seat, the dealer casually puts his leg on the tow post so that you can't get out, making it awkward to leave... so you sit there and they try and sell you a boat... I stand up and announce, "We're done, I'm not buying a boat from you."

These are the things that some of the factories teach their dealers to do... no kidding!

I am based in North Vancouver, BC.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes the interior on our Wakesetter has proved to be the only problem. It hasn't peeled significantly but does stain way too easily. Still the best boat IMO and can sure crank you outta the water and throw you on a double up!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I love the Wakesetter wake, but I need to step up my toeside game. Toeside on my Nautique is perfect for me. I just can't seem to clear the Wakesetter wake on anything other than heelside.

Since we're on the topic of praising Malibus...One of my friends has an 08 Wakesetter for sale here in NC. Great color combo (navy blue on white), some nice upgrades (board racks, stereo, LEDs, etc), and he's throwing in an Inland Surfer surfboard and two fat sacs + a pump. Bought in spring of 09, so you get warranty until 2012. If anybody is interested in a great boat let me know and I'll get you in touch with him. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, but they have a baby due next summer so he won't be able to enjoy it much until 2012.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts