Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking on it for a bit and I really want to pick up a classic Benz or this RR that I've been looking at.

I've been reading about the RR and the thing that scares me is everything saying that maintenance is really expensive. If it's really that rough, I might just modernize (suspension, brakes, wheels, engine, transmission) it all so I know it'll be cheaper and easier to maintain.

Does anyone have any input on these cars?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I considered the same thing and went with a 71 250 benz showcar. I figured if the rolls had ANY issues id be completely fucked and end up spending at least 5grand and weeks to months waiting for parts.

The benz's of that era were just a mercedes benz. It was indented to be a workhorse for the upper middle class, not a show pony for ballroom gatherings. they will work, the rolls will not

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Valid point.

My ideas were mostly were mostly to swap in an LS1 or any type of LSX engine. The transmission wouldn't be that difficult, since they were GM trannys in the Rolls and Bentleys of that era anyway. Then, the one thing that everyone hates... replace the suspension with airbags. Basically, I'm shooting for something similar to my buddies Benz.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I dont think you have any idea how much work and money this will take. TV shows and such these days make it look so easy but what you are looking to do is no joke my friend

·
Registered
264 Posts
I own a 64' Silver Cloud III and can tell you that parts aren't cheap but are readily available from sources like flyingspares.com. Components like tranny, starter, alternator, ect are all GM's. Doing an airbag suspension on that car will run you 5-6 grand. Maintaining it is not anymore expensive than any other old car.

One word of advice; buy a good car from the get go and not a fixer upper. You'll end up saving in the end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts