Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm saying no. To me their design looks a bit forced, like, "guys, we gotta come up with something different, but this is all we got".I don't like them at all :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
386 Posts
i like the pic of the white face one with the brown strap, but id have to hold it to make a final conclusion. I dont think they will be the net pam though

·
Registered
656 Posts
they lack the inherent simple elegance that a panerai has... doesn't do it for me

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
they are too much of a specialty watch with all the options for climbing, extreme sports, etc. I would buy an Alpina for way less that does as much if not more.

·
10,594 Posts
I wouldn't compare a Alpina to a Linde. A linde has much better quality and refinement. One could take your suggestion further and just get a G-Shock.

FS: Linde Werdelin 3 Timer - Watchuseek, world's largest & most visited Watch Forum site

FS: Linde Werdelin Silver Dialed Elemental - Watchuseek, world's largest & most visited Watch Forum site

linde werdelin - Google Product Search

This is pretty cool, makes mine look cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LINDE-WERDELIN-L...item230a8db327

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
in no way would i compare alpina's quality to werdelin, just speaking about the tool aspect. as for outdoors functionality the casio protrek seems to everything needed to survive in most extreme environments.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think they lack provence personally, the history is part of what started to draw everyone to Panerai...then once the Sly, Govenator types got involved it became the hot ticket. Exclusivity is similar it seems, but Panerai's is forced from the sale side and the more limited the better for the hoopla factor. Think Ferrari here, great product but the exclusivity is what drives a lot of the prices...supply and demand, Economics 101!!!

Not a replacement or the next yet, remember Panerai came "back out" in 96' or so and it wasn't really till 98' till it started getting nutty and really 01', 02' before stuff was selling out first day and pre-release.

I have saw the Helson and Benarus companies do the same with their products, but without the province and history only the true afficianados give a crap.

·
10,594 Posts
History did not draw the people to the watch, the watch did. If it was a crap watch and great history, who would care. I knew nothing of their history when I first started in early 2000's and to this day could care less. Sly did not make the watch popular, he was onto Panerai long before any of us. The watch collecting community made Panerai what it is today.

·
7,022 Posts
History did not draw the people to the watch, the watch did. If it was a crap watch and great history, who would care. I knew nothing of their history when I first started in early 2000's and to this day could care less. Sly did not make the watch popular, he was onto Panerai long before any of us. The watch collecting community made Panerai what it is today.
Agreed. I'm just glad OP recognized p.com this year for their role in Panerai's success. The 360 was a classy move. Cheers to the lucky 300.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have been eyeballing these for about a year and I do like them. They are an affordable AP look and can be had for around $4000 for the GMTs...I will most likely get one soon. I would say my next watch....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Panarai and AP wanna be together...NOTTTTTTTTTTTT

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Not even close....

History did not draw the people to the watch, the watch did. If it was a crap watch and great history, who would care.
I agree with Sal but the history behind the brand plays an important role supporting the image. There are different group of buyers in the Panerai community. Some people only go after the modern in-house movement powered models which are great values such lik 233, 275..etc. Small group of people are into the historical pieces like the 3646, 6152/1..etc. Of course there are some who just buy everything from vintage to modern. If history didn't mean much to the brand, the vintage pieces wouldn't be fetching impressive prices in the market.

In my personal opinion, Panerai is becoming like Rolex in auction and watch collecting world. Different categories of vintage Rolex always carry heavy premium and are appreciated by collectors all over the world, and so are vintage Panerai. Modern Panerai like the 000, 005, 111, 112 and other models are safe bets just like Submariner and Seadweller etc. Most people who buy these watches don't lose money or do a lil when selling. I don't see LW being anywhere close to the status.

Personally, the history behind Panerai and its vintage watches are what all it's about to me:)

·
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think many people might have mistaken my initial post... I am not saying that LW "is" like Panerai right now... I am merely suggesting that they seem to be getting really popular really fast, so I am wondering if they are the next big thing (kinda like then Panerai first started to become more mainstream).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts