Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a little while (2 years) till my current vehicle is paid off, and I want to start researching for my next brand.
I want to step into the Adult category of vehicles....
I was looking at a USED IS 250 and Holy hell the resale on these is really high!

Is this a normal thing to see, I'm new to the brand so I'm not to sure if $21,500 is good for a 2008 with 65k on the Odom.....
Seems a bit high to me to be honest.

·
5,744 Posts
The IS has strong resale, and they are extremely solid cars. A good friend of mine has an 06 that she put 168k mi on, not one major issue. She was so happy with it, she just bought a 14 a few weeks ago. Resale on hers 06 will probably be 9k, maybe 10k because of how good it looks.

So if you bought that one with 65k mi, from my experience you'll get 100k mi more out of it easy, and still have value left in it.

-Markus-

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's from Toyota so I can only Imagine they will last for a while.
I got 135+K on my last motor before I got into the Wreck :(

I was just a little shocked by the Price for the Year + Miles but I guess It makes sense.
I was really hoping to get one with a lower amount of miles on it, but Then again Who knows what my Income will be by that time maybe I'll get to go new.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
That's about right. Only if it has some options though. If it's completely base model, then I think that's a bit high.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2008 IS250 almost a year ago and paid $22k with 65k miles. I thought it seemed a little high but it was the color combo I wanted and has most, if not all available options. It's been a great car so far and I've had no issues.

I decided on the IS vs. Benz/BMW when I got warranty quotes, and a 5yr Lexus warrenty on my IS was around $2k vs. something like $4500 for a BMW 335i.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Used Lexus are a rip off. Get a Benz or BMW for same price
Resale on BMW + The Maint on it is horrid I don't think I would ever get a BMW to be honest.
And To think of it Mercedes is something I have wanted as well so I could look into that.

Reactions: chidoks

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a 2008 IS250 almost a year ago and paid $22k with 65k miles. I thought it seemed a little high but it was the color combo I wanted and has most, if not all available options. It's been a great car so far and I've had no issues.

I decided on the IS vs. Benz/BMW when I got warranty quotes, and a 5yr Lexus warrenty on my IS was around $2k vs. something like $4500 for a BMW 335i.
Again Toyota and it's other brands rain supreme over most others.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Buy my IS! On a side note, I paid 25.5K 3 years ago for my 2008 IS350 with 33k. I have 57k on it now and Carmax offered me 19.5 last November. 6k of depreciation in 3 years is incredible.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Used Lexus are a rip off. Get a Benz or BMW for same price
You buy a new Lexus then turn around to say negative stuff about the brand???? But after getting to know what I know of you, I shouldn't be surprised.

To everyone else, Lexus has been called the best brand in America by Consumer Reports based on reliability, safety and resale value. Do they lack the temperamental behavior of German cars...yes. But the Germans resale values pale in comparison.
Subaru was number 2 and to my surprise, Mazda was #3. No German brand was in the top 10. Even with their safety features the germans are so poor in reliability and resale value they can't touch Lexus.

You all should see the trade-in values we give to Subaru vehicles. It's unreal.

Reactions: Burberry89

·
Registered
661 Posts
You buy a new Lexus then turn around to say negative stuff about the brand???? But after getting to know what I know of you, I shouldn't be surprised.

To everyone else, Lexus has been called the best brand in America by Consumer Reports based on reliability, safety and resale value. Do they lack the temperamental behavior of German cars...yes. But the Germans resale values pale in comparison.
Subaru was number 2 and to my surprise, Mazda was #3. No German brand was in the top 10. Even with their safety features the germans are so poor in reliability and resale value they can't touch Lexus.

I'm a bimmer guy to the heart, but this is sound information. I've looked into the resale of Lexus vs Mercedes and BMW and it is really good. (Still breaks my heart though.) What I've learned with BMW is that you have to keep up with it. I haven't had any major issues with mine thus far but I take it in every 6 mos to my mechanic just to check and make sure they don't see any potential issues that may arise. I'm not sure if Lexus sells that oil change every 10k to 15k miles but I stick to every 5k, no more than 7 if I'm slacking.

In any case OP, you're doing the right thing by researching and taking your time (2yrs is plenty). Once you get into higher end vehicles it's hard to drive anything else. Take pictures, hit a couple canyons in your spare time, and you'll never regret it.

Reactions: Dr3am3r

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My buddy is noticing this right now as he is trying to decide on a 2012 Sti Sedan.
That's also another Car I wanted to look into but I'd get the WRX and not a Sti.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a bimmer guy to the heart, but this is sound information. I've looked into the resale of Lexus vs Mercedes and BMW and it is really good. (Still breaks my heart though.) What I've learned with BMW is that you have to keep up with it. I haven't had any major issues with mine thus far but I take it in every 6 mos to my mechanic just to check and make sure they don't see any potential issues that may arise. I'm not sure if Lexus sells that oil change every 10k to 15k miles but I stick to every 5k, no more than 7 if I'm slacking.

In any case OP, you're doing the right thing by researching and taking your time (2yrs is plenty). Once you get into higher end vehicles it's hard to drive anything else. Take pictures, hit a couple canyons in your spare time, and you'll never regret it.
Even If Lexus did sell that whole 10k crap I'd never do it.... I hate going over 5k let alone 10k!
I try to do service every 3500 to 5k.

I so can't wait to get into the "big kid" car market. I'm tired of buying in the market I'm in.
Don't get me wrong I love my current vehicle but I want something of a higher caliber.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I highly recommend trying to save up a bit more for the is350. I've driven both back to back and the 350 is just so much more fun to drive. I think back when I was looking at them, the price difference in the used market was 3-4k. That was in California at least, haven't looked into them out here.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I highly recommend trying to save up a bit more for the is350. I've driven both back to back and the 350 is just so much more fun to drive. I think back when I was looking at them, the price difference in the used market was 3-4k. That was in California at least, haven't looked into them out here.
It's probably around the same split, I was even looking at the GS400.
I'm really all over the place lol, I got plenty of time to figure it out though.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
to reply to an earlier post...

Lexus makes appliances. Albeit, nice appliances.
You use it when its new and then discard it.
If OP is spending 20-30k on a car it shouldn't be for a used microwave. Better off getting an equivalently aged "piano" so to speak.

If that doesn't resonate with everyone then Luxury4P isn't the place for you

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

If OP is spending 20-30k on a car it shouldn't be for a used microwave. Better off getting an equivalently aged "piano" so to speak.

Don't you currently drive a Lexus? and I seem to also recall you posting that you owned a Corvette and a Ford Pickup. I think the guys questions are perfectly legit seeing as how Luxury4Play has a Lexus section.

If you feel the need to saturate every post you make with an entitled, dbag attitude....maybe this isnt the place for you?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

Maybe this isn't the place for you. You seem to have things completely wrong. Lexus has long been considered a tier 1 luxury brand with BMW and Mercedes. The interior of a 2IS is nicer than the e9x 3 series.
No one ever says that you buy a Lexus and then get rid of it after a few years. Everyone who knows cars says that about German cars though.
I'm not sure what you're a connoisseur of, but it certainly isn't cars.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts