Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Pod Drives, Microsoft power, Glass on the V?

Slick but worrisome! Hopefully an owner that doesnt do much driving will buy it and let the captain be the one whos sick over this combo everytime they head for Bermuda!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Pod Drives, Microsoft power, Glass on the V?

Slick but worrisome! Hopefully an owner that doesnt do much driving will buy it and let the captain be the one whos sick over this combo everytime they head for Bermuda!
lazzara has been wildly successful with pod drives, and they're starting to spread in the yacht industry

as for the glass in the hull and microsoft, well....
i'm honestly a bit skeptical too, but so was everyone when they built the lsx75
if i trust anyone to build this yacht, its lazzara

and yes, i doubt anyone is going to be an owner operator

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I was referencing the instability and learning curve of the pod drives combined with the instability of a microsoft application. I love PODS, huge fan.. But not when coupled to a PC that locks up when running a spreadsheet..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was referencing the instability and learning curve of the pod drives combined with the instability of a microsoft application. I love PODS, huge fan.. But not when coupled to a PC that locks up when running a spreadsheet..
learning curve of pod drives? They're easier to use than conventional shafts, its just a joystick. And you can still use conventional throttles and wheel if you want.

as for the instability of microsoft apps, the surface will not be controlling the engines, it would be stupid in my opinion to skipper a yacht from a touch screen coffee table.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
learning curve of pod drives? They're easier to use than conventional shafts, its just a joystick. And you can still use conventional throttles and wheel if you want.

as for the instability of microsoft apps, the surface will not be controlling the engines, it would be stupid in my opinion to skipper a yacht from a touch screen coffee table.

Pods are AWESOME for smaller movement. Granted. If i did a lot of ICW traveling, Pods would be my first choice.

But for situations when half the vessel is in the wind and the other half is in the dock (midway thru the docking process), using three joysticks to control the front and rear thrusters along with the pod stick, there IS a learning curve. Took me about 4 shots before i got lined up correctly and even then I was still judiciously using thrusters to stay corrected.

My comment with Lazzara software/hardware package was in reference to the original poster saying the "ENTIRE YACHT" was controlled by the touch screen, therefore making the assumption that the diesels were also. They have not done this on any boat so far, thats why I was surprised with the post. The case study that Lazzara did for the surface piece from MS is merely a systems monitor, internet and lighting setup. Duetz diesels have their own (impecable) control systems. If they were linked to a microsoft touchscreen, thats where my concern lie.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pods are AWESOME for smaller movement. Granted. If i did a lot of ICW traveling, Pods would be my first choice.

But for situations when half the vessel is in the wind and the other half is in the dock (midway thru the docking process), using three joysticks to control the front and rear thrusters along with the pod stick, there IS a learning curve. Took me about 4 shots before i got lined up correctly and even then I was still judiciously using thrusters to stay corrected.

My comment with Lazzara software/hardware package was in reference to the original poster saying the "ENTIRE YACHT" was controlled by the touch screen, therefore making the assumption that the diesels were also. They have not done this on any boat so far, thats why I was surprised with the post. The case study that Lazzara did for the surface piece from MS is merely a systems monitor, internet and lighting setup. Duetz diesels have their own (impecable) control systems. If they were linked to a microsoft touchscreen, thats where my concern lie.

sorry, that was my fault for not being clear that the surface would not control the engines. From what I've seen, pod drives only have one joystick though. They are not commenting on engine packages yet, but it looks like it will be 3 zeus drives, controlled with one joystick like the quad ips drives were

1 - 8 of 8 Posts