Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be interested to hear some owner feedback on this. I have not driven an Aventador or a Huracán, so I can't speak for the driving dynamics of either car.

Cliffs: Chris Harris says that Lamborghini have lost the plot with the Aventador and Huracán, Lamborghinis have always looked ridiculous/awesome, but they've also been good to drive. Aventador looks like a proper Lamborhgini but is awful to drive. Murciélago was the last decent driver's car, Huracán and Aventador are just flashy cars that like to understeer, more meant for boulevard cruising than a proper drive.

Article here.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I am inclined to agree with regards to the aventador. My choice would be the diablo or the murcielago over it any day. I haven't yet taken the huracan out so cannot comment there.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not driven a Murciélago, but I did drive an e-gear LP560-4, and I was surprised at how much understeer even that car had. I know it's an AWD sports car, not a track day special, but I was still taken aback by it at first. For the Huracán to be worse than that, it would be damn near undriveable.

I would still take a three pedal Murci over an Aventador if money was no object.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Remember the Top Gear episode with the first Murciealago... where they thought that Audi may have made the car too tame? Now here we are again, saying, "Well, the Murcielago is the last drivers' car." Even though Lamborghini focused on making the Aventador the first lambo that didn't place top speed as the number one priority; they chose handling. Anyway, I haven't driven an Aventador yet, but thought of going out to the driving experience to run some laps with one. If I do, I will post some feedback. I have a feeling though, the car isn't going to disappoint. So there may be some understeer, who cares? Remember the years of Mustang vs Camaro in the 90's when everyone talked so terrible about oversteer as understeer was preferred? All cars handle different and at the end of the day, the Aventador and Huracan are awesome cars that you will still enjoy when driving hard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It seems like a crazy statement to car enthusiasts but aren't most of Lamborghini's sales to people who know nothing about cars and buy a Lamborghini just because its a Lamborghini. I think for that reason they have to make them easy to drive.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
"I can't actually buy (insert brand here), so I'll take a few hot laps in one model and bash the entire brand's direction." -automotive blogger

Can't take a guy seriously that authors an entire article on handling and doesn't address dynamic steering. A lot of brands are producing more road-friendly cars. In reality, 0.001% of owners don't track these cars more than once a month, if that. If were up to automotive bloggers, anything short of a 800WHP/2K LB./manual/5 MPG/stripped vehicle w/o traction control wouldn't be considered "driver friendly." GT-R, 12C, etc. Criticism is all the same.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is not Chris Harris, but I find the video applicable still.

It does understeer quite badly. Starts at 02:18. Goes into more detail around 05:00

·
Registered
513 Posts
This guy is a moron.

"The Aventador is the first Lamborghi I've driven that can't support its looks with adequate dynamics."
^Adequate dynamics? It's beyond impressive in every way. Understeer? Here's a newsflash for this guy. The Aventador is not a car designed for the track mainly in mind. It's designed for top speed runs. With that said, I'm not buying that the brakes "caught fire".

"Lamborghini cannot go into the suv or sedan market because that's too tied up by Bentley and Audi" That's just simply not true.

My opinion? Anyone that claims the Aventador is a 'horrible car to drive'. Can't afford one. B. Is a jerk. Or C. a combination of both A & B.

His writing on the Huracan is equally silly. The Huracan is a fabulous car in every concievable way imaginable. Truly, it's that great. IMO, this reviewer is just another one of the "I miss the raw, bad-to-the-bone Countach days, so everything made in today's auto market is crap" kind of guys.

Reactions: Vick

·
Registered
513 Posts
"I can't actually buy (insert brand here), so I'll take a few hot laps in one model and bash the entire brand's direction." -automotive blogger

Can't take a guy seriously that authors an entire article on handling and doesn't address dynamic steering. A lot of brands are producing more road-friendly cars. In reality, 0.001% of owners don't track these cars more than once a month, if that. If were up to automotive bloggers, anything short of a 800WHP/2K LB./manual/5 MPG/stripped vehicle w/o traction control wouldn't be considered "driver friendly." GT-R, 12C, etc. Criticism is all the same.
^This. This exactly.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^This. This exactly.
For what it's worth, Mr. Harris has owned a few exotics. And I don't mean loaners from the manufacturers - he bought them with his money. I have no idea what his financial situation is like, but I think if he felt like he absolutely needed to own a Huracán or an Aventador, he could probably do so.

Personally I've always enjoyed his reviews. Even when Ferrari wouldn't loan him their cars, every time he got one, he still did a thorough and fair review on it, he didn't simply bash it because "Oh, Ferrari are upset with me and I can't afford them so I'll bash this." He even bought himself a 599 GTB (albeit a second hand one, but still).

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I like his reviews I watched some of the old rally Audi and P-car ones recently

Reactions: DHari

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
without trying to type 6 paragrpahs on my phone... all cars understeer, minivans, super sedans, exotics, formula cars, touring cars.... you dont want the whole car loaded and taken a set to be at 100% tire grip on the front and 85% on the rear. you want it to be close so its balanced say 95% rear but you never ever want a car that neutrally oversteers, in that case you have a tire sizing footprint ratio problem or a plethura of suspension/swaybar/rear diff setup problems.

What everyone has been doing for years on cars they dont want to mess but are regularly tracked ex. lambo ferrari porsche. is just upsize the front tire 10-30mm and/or dropping rear sizing.

an extra 10-20mm front tire width does the trick for most setups. havent driven an aventador or huracan but all the other lambos and cars ive tracked felt great just needed the simple footprint ratio adjusted.

take a stock car with a warranty and turn into a well balanced machine for the cost of 2 tires.

·
Registered
42 Posts
After about 3 months of being behind the wheel of my aventador I would have to disagree. In an age of technology where driving capabilities are (IMO) being improved with the use of computers its comes down to personal preference. Maybe because I am a newer age of supercar owners and I like the simplicity of technology plus speed. I've been behind the wheel of a murcielago, Ive tracked my old SL65, Maserati and a did several AMG academy's and other driving instructed/ track courses.

So does that mean the hybrid technology behind the Porsche 918, Mclaren P1 and LaFerrari make the cars less of a "drivers car". Times are evolving. I dont want to drive a half a million dollar car that feels clunky and shifts harder because its a "DRIVERS CAR".

I think the difference with Lambos is that their Flashy looks tend to attract buyers that want attention and do not purchase the car because of the performance. In that sense, I do agree, it is a status car and people who buy a car for status usually arent entushiast.

With that being said, if you spend some real time behind the wheel of an Aventador, Ie, tracking, drag strips,etc, then its evident that the car is an awesome car, well built and freakin awesome!

Reactions: Vick

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I think a lot of people confuse a drivers car/track car with ultimate street car/canyon car and dont drawn a fine line to differentiate for themselves.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would love to spend time behind the wheel of an Aventador! Purely for science purposes, of course. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Eh, a real enthusiast can make any car fun. Case in point, a Minivan rental with a rev limiter and shiny new tires.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I read somewhere that the aventador purposely jerks around the drivetrain on up shifts when steered straight to make it feel like a raw racecar, but keeps things smooth when cornering to prevent loss of control. When I heard, I lost a lot of interest because of how fake and pretentious that design decision was.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I read somewhere that the aventador purposely jerks around the drivetrain on up shifts when steered straight to make it feel like a raw racecar, but keeps things smooth when cornering to prevent loss of control. When I heard, I lost a lot of interest because of how fake and pretentious that design decision was.
people just want to feel like theres going absolutely balls out and manufactures figured this out in the mid 90's when f1 and smg were invented and they adjust the throttle curve to be wide open when the clutch comes back together. total bullshit design, you shouldnt HAVE to learn how to drive an f1/egear/smg to develop the lift technique. This is why sooo many people hate the old bmws.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts