Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EIrO2bP6Q8

A few weeks ago, YouTuber NM2255 was at the Monza Circuit in Italy filming the LaFerrari XX test car, which will be Ferrari’s replacement for the wild FXX. The sound of the car is – as you can imagine – even more brutal and louder!

But in the last part of the video, you can see that something clearly didn´t go as planned. As the Ferrari was sliding through the first corner of the circuit, the right side rear wheel was sticking out rather badly as you can see on the photo. The reason for this is very likely a wheel bolt that hasn´t been screwed in well enough, so the wheel partly came off in the first corner, but then went back in again as the car was going on a straight line.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the wheels are center lock. Considering the car looked fine afterwards, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's intended behavior. I guess we'll find out eventually.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I think its intentional, if it wasn't the wheel wouldn't have gotten back into place and drive off as if nothing happened.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
That right wheel is severely off camber. I can't imagine that being correct given the video's history.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
There is a lot of force on a wheel at high speeds. If something had broken and allowed the wheel to go out that far, I find it hard to believe that the wheel came back and looked fine as he drove away. If something had broken, wouldn't it at least wobble? It's not like he grandma'd it away from that corner.

Also, if you watch, he nearly lost the backend right before it happened, but as he started to lose it, the wheel happens to go out, he recovers and drives off with the wheel back in the perfect position. Seems like a pretty big coincidence. As I said before though, time will tell what really happened.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't see how this could benefit the racing version of this car in any way (intentional). If you slow it down and watch after he exits the turn the wheel don't seem to be perfectly on, the bottom part of the way seems to stick out of the fender farther than the top of the wheel.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I don't see how this could benefit the racing version of this car in any way (intentional). If you slow it down and watch after he exits the turn the wheel don't seem to be perfectly on, the bottom part of the way seems to stick out of the fender farther than the top of the wheel.
Look at other times in the video and the left wheel does that too. It's called negative camber, and there is quite a bit of it on the back left and right. It improves handling on the track. Every street car has negative camber, but it's usually around a degree or less. That car is probably set up closer to -3.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is a lot of force on a wheel at high speeds. If something had broken and allowed the wheel to go out that far, I find it hard to believe that the wheel came back and looked fine as he drove away. If something had broken, wouldn't it at least wobble? It's not like he grandma'd it away from that corner.

Also, if you watch, he nearly lost the backend right before it happened, but as he started to lose it, the wheel happens to go out, he recovers and drives off with the wheel back in the perfect position. Seems like a pretty big coincidence. As I said before though, time will tell what really happened.
I don't mean to be rude, but your explanation is laughable at best. There is no way they get any benefit out of such suspension behaviour, intentional or otherwise.

Pure and simply there was a breakage in the suspension. Monza is hard on cars, especially the way in which that test driver was taking the rumble strips. He was really riding them hard I guess to see where the breaking point was... He found it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I don't mean to be rude, but your explanation is laughable at best. There is no way they get any benefit out of such suspension behaviour, intentional or otherwise.

Pure and simply there was a breakage in the suspension. Monza is hard on cars, especially the way in which that test driver was taking the rumble strips. He was really riding them hard I guess to see where the breaking point was... He found it.
So if something broke, do you have an explanation for it going back into place and not being affected while driving?
I will admit that it doesn't look intentional and it looks like something broke, but I can't explain how it seems fine afterwards.

·
Registered
545 Posts
So if something broke, do you have an explanation for it going back into place and not being affected while driving?
I will admit that it doesn't look intentional and it looks like something broke, but I can't explain how it seems fine afterwards.
Your argument is garbage. You don't have any evidence of it not breaking but your calling him out for the same? Cars are incredibly complex objects, there's no way of telling what actually happened from this video.

Reactions: pip

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
something broke......it then went back to where it should be BROKEN and was able to limp home.....

WTF is so hard to understand.....

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Your argument is garbage. You don't have any evidence of it not breaking but your calling him out for the same? Cars are incredibly complex objects, there's no way of telling what actually happened from this video.
I'm not even arguing. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on in the video. I also never said anything about evidence, I used the word explanation, which is completely different. Instead of trying to find a way to slam me, why don't you read what I actually said. Let me break it down for you and spoon feed you.
"So if something broke, do you have an explanation for it going back into place and not being affected while driving?"
Here, I am just asking him if he can offer an EXPLANATION for the wheel not looking affected after the part breaking. If I was arguing and "calling him out", and not just discussing, I would have said something along the lines of "Nothing broke. There's no way the wheel went back to position." Instead, I was trying to facilitate a discussion, since that's what forums are typically for (until people like you come around). I'm entirely open to the possibility that it's as simple as something broke, but that doesn't make for an enjoyable discussion now does it?

"I will admit that it doesn't look intentional and it looks like something broke, but I can't explain how it seems fine afterwards."
So here I actually said that I think it does look like something broke, but I just don't have an explanation for how it behaved afterwards. I'm just a curious person that likes to explore all possibilities of a situation that I don't know 100% understand.
Next time, before you just try to find an excuse to slam me, why don't you actually read what I post. All I've been doing here is trying to facilitate a discussion with people. I actually tried to provide some reasoning behind what I was saying. Not just that "it broke and then was fine". That's hardly a real explanation for that circumstance. There are people who understand suspension that could provide a much better reason, possibly one that includes specific suspension components and reasons for why it didn't seem affected afterwards. I guess I shouldn't expect those types of hardcore gear heads to be on this forum though, because this forum is more of an appreciation of fine automobiles, and not an understanding of how they work.
I guess no one has any real explanation, other than restating the obvious over and over, so I'm done with this thread. If someone who actually understands suspension has an idea of what broke and why it seemed fine afterwards, please PM me because I am actually curious.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
My explanation for it going back into place is because that suspension arm was no longer under the same load as it was when turning hard left on the exit of the rettifilo chicane. The suspension arm likely broke as the driver hit the high curbing on the right of the rettifilo chicane upon entry. It then gets put under extreme load on the exit when turning left and then once cornering is finished and that wheel is no longer under load it returns to its natural unloaded position.

I suppose the biggest hint that this was not a normal or new system being tested is simply because such wheel geometry through a corner would not in any way help cornering stability or traction. You want to increase the contact patch of the tyre to the road whenever you can; that wheel was doing the opposite.

Don't try and defend a position that is clearly incorrect simply because you don't want to admit that you were wrong with your initial analysis. It stinks on desperation.:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
21 Posts
And to conclude... seriously... just look at the video again, especially the slow motion shot of the corner.
It is clear that something broke, look at how the wheel is bouncing around and hitting the inside of the wheel well.

Quit while you're ahead. I can't believe I am still entertaining such a ridiculous position and debating it. Shame on me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts