Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Koenigsegg Wreck In Poland Takes Out 19 Spectators UPDATE

I sincerely hope that everyone involved makes it out okay, terrible when these things happened, especially when kids are involved :(

Traction control was turned off when the accident happened.

I also feel for the driver. He was trying to give a good show for the 60.000 spectators that ended in a terrible accident. He must feel absolutley sick.

EDIT: Official statement from the Gran Turismo Website:

Official statement regarding the incident today on Hlonda street in Poznan

Gran Turismo Polonia is an event, which always brings joy and happiness to the city of Poznan. Nevertheless, today we have witnessed an unfortunate accident involving one of the participants of Gran Turismo Polonia. What happened today makes us extremely sad.

We are cooperating with the Police and other authorities to investigate the circumstances of the accident.

We are in constant contact with the hospital, that sadly confirm 17 injured. Four of them are seriously injured, however their condition is stable. We are constantly monitoring their condition.

Update: All injured except five have left the hospital. The five people remaining in hospital are in stable condition.

The driver was sober. He has previous experience with sports cars.

All safety measures regarding the parade/show on Hlonda street was consulted with and supervised by the Police. We have met or superceeded every needed regulation.

At this moment these are the facts.

Once again, we emphasize that the incident today makes us extremely sad. Our thoughts are with the injured. We have been organizing Gran Turismo Polonia for nine years, and this is the first time something like this has happened.

A press conference will be held tomorrow (Monday 1 July) at 12.00 at the race track Tor Poznan.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
People always try to show off their car and something bad happens. I get he was trying to make it entertaining, but safety should be the number one concern at an event like this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't want to sound like a total asshole here, but on a side note the car seemed to sustain little damage besides a broken windshield. From the photos if seen it looks like a little scraping and some paint damage.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The people on the hill were the smart ones. I would be freaked out being that close to a speeding car knowing there is a chance it could lose control.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not one to say "this guy can't drive" cause accidents do happen, however this guy spun out after giving it barely any throttle and instead of taking it a little easier and turning TC back on he decides to floor it which resulted in the ass end kicking out and over correcting.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Funny how ppl are surprised about the safety on this "track" (?). Check how it is in rally, Pikes Peak etc. Ppl stand almost on the road. Just like this. If a driver loses control on Pikes Peak and smashes into a crowd. Will ppl blame the rally driver? I don't think so...

If they get hurt, Its kinda their own fault because they stand so close to the track.

The media is hypocrites when it comes to this accident. Blame the driver and the organizer's for bad safety. Yes I can agree they could have put up the fence on the hill. And Yes the driver could have used his brain a bit more. But accidents happens. Don't see why they need to blame someone for it..

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
People were very close, but it comes down to the driver being stupid/irresponsible IMO. I know accidents happen, but he's lucky no one was critically injured.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This could have ended much worse though. He went off really early on the track so he didn't catch that much speed. At the end of the straight, cars reach way over 200 km/h. Imagine if he went off into the crowds at 250-300km/h........

The driver apparantly had owned the car for about a year and has used it plenty on both the road and on the track. I hope when all this is over that he decides to repair the car and to keep it.
As of the injuries, a TS member who was at the GT Polonia says that the latest information he has recived states that everyone injured will fully recover.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts