Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think the time set by the MP-12C will be a though egg to crack... Even for the Agera R.. The new technology from Ferrari and McLaren is light years from Koenigsegg... The fun stuff will begin if Koenigsegg get a serious cash injection from a bigger company and keeps the same goal as Koenigsegg today, to build the fastest cars on the planet!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think the time set by the MP-12C will be a though egg to crack... Even for the Agera R.. The new technology from Ferrari and McLaren is light years from Koenigsegg... The fun stuff will begin if Koenigsegg get a serious cash injection from a bigger company and keeps the same goal as Koenigsegg today, to build the fastest cars on the planet!
Sorry, but I disagree Joey. Ferrari and McLaren do have a financial advantage, but they are not as far away from Koenigsegg as you think.. Koenigsegg is quite advanced and capable for its size, feom an engineering point of view. Besides, they did it with the CCX, why not with an Agera R??

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
^^Now that I am finally home, and not all sweaty after my gym session, I can elaborate more on why Ferrari and McLaren are NOT light years away from Koenigsegg:

Koenigsegg does manage to make up for ''some'' of the financial disadvantage by clever engineering. As several automotive journalists & other experts agree, one thing Koenigsegg really does excel is their ability to progress their car through clever engineering, finding simple yet efficient solutions to mechanical/aerodynamic issues.

In as little as 10 years after they sold their first customer car in 2002, their records, increasing (albeit still tiny) sales amounts & recognition, not to mention the positive reviews from various experts; have certainly put the Koenigsegg brand right into the big league with the other niche brands. So astounding has their progress been that if you said an Enzo/CGT is light years ahead of a CC8S, I would have certainly agreed with you, however not aymore..

Besides, yet another small company, Pagani, is also able to land a punch on the same segment, so big budget helps, but it is certainly not the only factor. Therefore, I do not see any reason why Koenigsegg does not have a fighting chance.

Anyway, sorry for the long-ass post, but just wanted to convey my own opinion on the subject. Don't get me wrong, I love McLaren's, Ferrari's and Bugatti's too, but I see a small yet extremely capable company like Koenigsegg more near and dear to my heart, given their current position of playing David among the Goliath's of the exotic car world.

Any thoughts would be welcome (this is a free forum afterall), even if anyone disagrees 100%, I'd still gladly read your comments :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think the Top Gear track is to technical for an Agera R to perform at its best im afraid. For sure the CCX time was a good one at its time but the McLaren with 600 hp is 1,5 sec faster than the old Egg. The CCX time is almost exact as the GT-R with 550 hp.. For a record breaking time they need to figure out how to not spin the rear wheels during acceleration, a though one with 1140 hp and i dont think their technology is there yet.... And next year we have the 900 hp (?) Ferrari F70 and the new McLaren. Lets keep our fingers cross and hope for a track record but damn that MP-4C is fast at that track (wich was also the McLaren development track for the car)..

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
^that's a fair point, though we'll all see, IF they decide to test it afterall...
Guess I thought you were saying something along the lines of Koenigsegg being more "inferior" to Ferrari & McLaren

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Confirmed that Hammond will be driving the Pagani Huayra in the upcoming season, but no news on the Agera, the Agera S or the Agera R....

Given up all hope on Koenigsegg appearing at Top Gear, and quite disappointed TBH :(

And this has nothing to do with not getting permission from any Koenigsegg owners either (C&D, Evo and Swedish Auto Motor & Sport have all done tests with customer cars); purely Top Gear turning its back on Koenigsegg's IMO...Oh well

·
Registered
405 Posts
Confirmed that Hammond will be driving the Pagani Huayra in the upcoming season, but no news on the Agera, the Agera S or the Agera R....

Given up all hope on Koenigsegg appearing at Top Gear, and quite disappointed TBH :(

And this has nothing to do with not getting permission from any Koenigsegg owners either (C&D, Evo and Swedish Auto Motor & Sport have all done tests with customer cars); purely Top Gear turning its back on Koenigsegg's IMO...Oh well
Oh yes, Hammond look quite happy.

382008_10152342746415035_576324489_n.jpg

Yeah I've always wondered why Top Gear hasn't tested yet the Agera, it's my fav hypercar and I'd love to see Jezza behind the wheel.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Ye of little faith. Top gear played around with the Agera R in Sep of 2011. I'm sure it will end up on the show, they aren't going to let that bit of news out early.

You have one member that claims a Koenigsegg employee knows that the Agera R will be on the show. Calm the french down and see what time has in store for us. If there is indeed an Agera R on the show in Season 19, you're still going to have to wait for it to hit the air. Some of you people are hopeless individuals that take no news as bad news. Damn, how does anyone throw a surprise birthday party for some of you people, you'd commit suicide thinking everyone forgot about you before they had the chance to surprise you.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Pretty much confirmed that there is no Agera/Agera R this season either... Kind of a shame really, b/c if they were to top the time sheets, that would have been a great PR stunt.

As Joey was also saying a few months back, with the arrival of the McLaren P1 & Ferrari F70 (whatever it will be called), there is no way for the Agera to hold that record, even if Koenigsegg were to change their mind and give the TG crew an Agera to play around with...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
^Unfortunately, yes...And honestly, I really don't see them testing an Agera/Agera R ever in the show eyond this point...Oh well, waiting for the new Ferrari F70/McLaren P1 to clinch the lap record now...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I think it will be hard to beat the Pagani Huayra's time. That car destroyed the lap record at 1:13.8. Just being able to match the Atom's time is saying something for any hypercar and in the end, I care more about the car review itself than some lap time. There are so many variables that play a part in the lap times and the track has changed a little bit over the years. You have to remember that Top Gear is first and foremost a TV show. Its purpose is to entertain people, even if that means scripting a car review. Jeremy hates anything with the word "hybrid" in it, I'm sure he's going to have some choice words for the F70. I find more credibility in 'Ring times.

Jeremy, James and Richard are entertaining and I enjoy watching them. But when it comes to car reviews, they can be incredibly biased. Take the show with a large grain of salt. Ferrari WILL NOT allow a bad car review. You do that, and they ban you from reviewing their cars. So take the F70 with an even larger grain of salt. I wouldn't be surprised if they told Top Gear the F70 has to be the fastest, period. They are not about to come second to Pagani, that's not Ferrari's way of doing business. The strong arm approach will always be their favorite tool in their play book.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pagani's lap shouldn't count, being that they ran on racing slicks. Ferrari, Mclaren, and Koenigsegg will know this, and I doubt they will loan their cars to TG unless the Huayra time is taken off of the car is re run on its stock tires.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Pagani's lap shouldn't count, being that they ran on racing slicks. Ferrari, Mclaren, and Koenigsegg will know this, and I doubt they will loan their cars to TG unless the Huayra time is taken off of the car is re run on its stock tires.
^agree with the first part, but, its free advertising for them why wouldn't they?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I think it will be hard to beat the Pagani Huayra's time. That car destroyed the lap record at 1:13.8. Just being able to match the Atom's time is saying something for any hypercar and in the end, I care more about the car review itself than some lap time. There are so many variables that play a part in the lap times and the track has changed a little bit over the years. You have to remember that Top Gear is first and foremost a TV show. Its purpose is to entertain people, even if that means scripting a car review. Jeremy hates anything with the word "hybrid" in it, I'm sure he's going to have some choice words for the F70. I find more credibility in 'Ring times.

Jeremy, James and Richard are entertaining and I enjoy watching them. But when it comes to car reviews, they can be incredibly biased. Take the show with a large grain of salt. Ferrari WILL NOT allow a bad car review. You do that, and they ban you from reviewing their cars. So take the F70 with an even larger grain of salt. I wouldn't be surprised if they told Top Gear the F70 has to be the fastest, period. They are not about to come second to Pagani, that's not Ferrari's way of doing business. The strong arm approach will always be their favorite tool in their play book.
True about TG's prejudices, but I can bet you any money that a 1100-kg, 950-bhp Ferrari is pretty much destined to trump a 730-bhp Pagani, no other way around it really...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
As far as I can se from any related picture on TG, they seemed to have run on semi-slicks, which are legal still...As long as they do not do the lap on full slicks, what's the problem?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
True about TG's prejudices, but I can bet you any money that a 1100-kg, 950-bhp Ferrari is pretty much destined to trump a 730-bhp Pagani, no other way around it really...
I think the 1100 kg weight is a tad unrealistic. That is roughly the weight a 427 Cobra, 2,400 lbs. That won't happen. The Huayra weighs 1,350 kg and I highly doubt the F70 will take 200 kilos off that. Another point, more power means more traction issues. Just because you have more power doesn't mean the car will be faster around a track, especially Top Gear's. You're looking at a short and relatively slow track, 700 or 1100 hp won't exactly come into play here. The aero of the car will be key, who has the most down force in corners. As for engine performance, torque will be more important than horsepower in this situation. If the F70 beats the Huayra by fractions of a second, I might believe it. If it beats the Huayra's time excessively, I'll call BS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They're Pirelli racing slicks (you can see the pirelli race tire nomenclature on the sidewall - not street legal) with hand cut grooves in them to make them look like dot approved Pirelli pzero corsas, a 12 year old design. Those are considerably faster than dot approved/street legal semi-slicks.
Ferrari's weight claims are laughable at best. According to the latest rumor the enzo replacement will weigh 1365kg, which is the same as an Enzo, which has a curb weight of ~1480kg in real world tests. Ferrari is a manufacturer, not some sort of immunity to the laws of physics.

I seriously doubt that's from the real Richard Hammond. Looks like Koenigsegg's own runway.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts