Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My house was built in 1905 and had a staircase for servants that ran up that back portion of the house to the same landing that the main staircase connected to. I have no servants and because the staircases connect at the same point, I saw no point in keeping it and thus took on the renovation of the area. Here are the pictures of the progress so far and some blue prints.
What I started with
original.jpg
backstair case
back stairs.jpg
(butlers pantry under back stair)
DSC_7040.JPG
(old kitchen)
DSC02870.JPG
(old bathroom)
DSC02874.JPG

The final plan
original.jpg

Cabinets removed
during.jpg
during2.jpg

Demolition to the studs
1.jpg
2.jpg

Semi-gutted bathroom/laundry
bathroom.jpg

Framing the new bathroom
3.jpg

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I love seeing these kinds of projects! keep us updated :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We have windows starting to be moved tomorrow and the bathroom has been fully framed including a triple beam to hold the staircase landing above. After the windows are complete, then begins installing the LVL and web-truss's for the ceiling support. Currently hitting a roadblock with some serious termite damage in the corner beam of the house, working with engineer and contractor to determine appropriate solution.

1.jpg
2.jpg
Time to start roughing in the plumbing.
3.jpg
The yellow circle is where there is suppose to be a main beam holding up the corner of the house from the foundation.
4.jpg

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that is one of the proposed solutions, except for that wall is on the side of my property I can't access currently due to my neighbors (http://www.luxury4play.com/off-topic/100884-trespassing-question.html). They came up with another solution today, I had to leave before they could explain it to me, so I will hear it tomorrow. Its really cool to see the old framing, ever engineer, contractor, inspector that comes in says the framing from 1905 looks incredible and amazingly done. The old wood from the wall that separated the kitchen from the back stair is being reclaimed to use as double ceiling beams in the laundry room to give it more ceiling height and add historic touch.

I am split on my future after this project, because part of me is sick and tired of all the unexpected problems that come up with renovated old houses, but part of me loves the history and respects the work of craftsman from a century ago. So the question comes, do I find another historic property to renovate or look to build new.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Our house was built around the same time (1900). The old beams are just amazing. I wish we could keep them exposed. :) It's a double edged sword though, for sure!

·
Registered
28 Posts
There will always be unexpected issues that come up with old houses. Usually much harder to fix given most wood is just thrown in there and nailed (with 4" spikes) to make sure they don't come out.
I rehab houses that were mainly built from 1900-1940s and if they haven't' fallen down yet, they are going no where. Of course, these places are bought for 5-15k and only 3k used to rehab nowdays
(pure rentals). I use to rehab them completely - roofs,siding, electrical, plumb, and everything else.

Good to see your project getting off the ground.....try and enjoy the work...its really nice when you are finally done with something you get to live in. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to see your project getting off the ground.....try and enjoy the work...its really nice when you are finally done with something you get to live in. :)
Haha, its going straight to rental, originally I wanted to live in it, but several factors have changed my mindset, I now associate bad thoughts with this house because of all the headaches it has given me, during winter and summer my gas/electric hits right around $350 a month, and its huge (3 bedroom, plus office, dinning room, foyer, living room) too much space for a single guy, since Charleston rent is going through the roof, plan to list the place for $4,000 a month. Looked at a beautiful 2 bedroom apartment today that I am looking to rent till I can find some place to buy.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, they have a solution to the wood rot, they have going to make a new foundation to avoid having to go on the neighbors yard and such.

Beginning to re-frame the
11.jpg
Another view
12.jpg
Windows Moved, they had to rebuild one of the windows because it had a lot of water rot.
21.jpg
Framing to support old window location
22.jpg

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its been a while since I have posted pictures and updates. Project is been moving slowly as I have been preoccupied by school and busy with other matters. With that said, this is what has been going on behind the pictures, I have finalized the plumber, webtruss's are built and will be dropped off shortly. I have ordered my tile for the floors and shower. Picked out my counter tops, as well as the plumbing fixtures. Still need to pick out lighting fixtures, paint colors, and have my cabinet maker out for one final measurement before he starts building the cabinets. Unfortunately I am off to Chicago for the summer and will have a project manager handling everything for me here. I have instructed him to take good pictures, so I know whats going on, and to share with you all. Basically the next few steps are to remove the existing plumbing, install the web-trusses, put new plumbing in, get electric put in, than insulation, drywall, put down the tile, then install cabinets, put the counter tops on. Not sure on the exact competition date, looking for no later than July 1st, and I should be able to pop in for a second to get some pictures myself and inspect the progress.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:
The framing is done, plumbing is done and has the rough in inspection tomorrow, electrical is being worked on (a lot is happening with the electrical, the meter is switching to the other side of the house, the panel was moved to a different location, and the wiring for the kitchen is complex)

Will post pictures later today, need to compress them down.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, here are some of the upstairs bathroom, final framing, and plumbing

The web trusses up:
ceiling.jpg

web truss 2.jpg

Another framing picture:
framing.jpg

Upstairs Bathroom:
demolished bathroom.jpg

Cast Iron Drop:
Down Pipe.jpg

Downstairs shower rough in:
downstairs shower.jpg

Downstairs toilet and vanity rough in:
Downstairs toliet and vanity.jpg

Kitchen sink rough in:
Kitchen Sink.jpg

Laundry room rough in:
laundry room.jpg

Upstairs vanity rough in:
Upstairs Bathroom Vanity.jpg

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The upstairs bathroom is a porcelain tub and the downstairs is a custom tile shower which will have a liner under the tile.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I couldn't say, I'll have to ask the contractor tomorrow. The shower is irregular size, can you get a pan for irregular sizes or do they only come in specific sizes? Would you recommend using one if possible?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts