Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gents -

I've currently got a 2007 Audi RS4 that I've owned for just shy of 5 years now. It's been an incredibly fun car, and my first real dose of performance. I'm now getting anxious, and looking at moving onto the next thing. Now, a Lambo is a pretty serious jump, and so I'm a bit hesitant about the whole idea. But, I thought I'd consult the experts on a 'beginner' Lambo if you will. My price range is totally up in the air as I'm not versed in the used Lambo world so that's a big reason I'm here.

Give me a 101 on the Gallardo history (nagging issues, prices, model changes, etc.). Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
861 Posts
1) Get a post 2009 (LP) Gallardo...I have NOT heard of any issues...they can be daily driven...a friend's 2012 Performante has 40,000 miles and is flawless.My Balboni has 21,000 miles and knock on wood - flawless as well.

2) You could prob get a 2009 LP for about $150K.

Hey gents -

I've currently got a 2007 Audi RS4 that I've owned for just shy of 5 years now. It's been an incredibly fun car, and my first real dose of performance. I'm now getting anxious, and looking at moving onto the next thing. Now, a Lambo is a pretty serious jump, and so I'm a bit hesitant about the whole idea. But, I thought I'd consult the experts on a 'beginner' Lambo if you will. My price range is totally up in the air as I'm not versed in the used Lambo world so that's a big reason I'm here.

Give me a 101 on the Gallardo history (nagging issues, prices, model changes, etc.). Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you considered a V10 R8. I was considering a Gallardo myself but opted for the R8 as I appreciate the Audi interiors over the early model Lambos. It my understanding that the early model G's also have clutch issues that are quite costly. I was also looking for a slightly more forgiving ride and a I am very pleased with the R8. Good luck with you search.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have you considered a V10 R8. I was considering a Gallardo myself but opted for the R8 as I appreciate the Audi interiors over the early model Lambos. It my understanding that the early model G's also have clutch issues that are quite costly. I was also looking for a slightly more forgiving ride and a I am very pleased with the R8. Good luck with you search.
I agree with this suggestion.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Stay away from the first 400 VIN's in 04. 08 egear is better than 04-07. The cars are pretty bullet proof.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
As mentioned above, the early E-Gears were finnicky and unrefined. My suggestion, get an LP model if you go Lambo. They look much better and all the kinks are worked out.

If it were me, I'd go V10 R8. You can pick them up for ~110-120 with low miles.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Guys above covered it fairly well. An aftermarket clutch + throwout bearing/etc. replaced with swap, and you'll be fine. No clue about your finances, as that's what makes it all possible.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Have you considered a V10 R8. I was considering a Gallardo myself but opted for the R8 as I appreciate the Audi interiors over the early model Lambos.
I think I saw your car today. It was beautiful.

Add another vote for a R8 V10. 2014s have the S tronic dual clutch if you want paddle shifters alla LP-560 Gallardos.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I went with a cheaper high mileage 2004 Gallardo and had no complaints. I think I was the 4th owner, but like the previous guy mentioned and what I believe to be true with a lot of automobiles, mileage is better than something that is older and has been sitting. If you find one that has high miles, but a clean service record, don't be afraid of it.

To go with what the others said, the LPs do look better and are refined some. You just have to see what works for you financially. Is an 90K 2004 worth it, or should you go with a 2007 for 130k? That extra 40k could make a nice TT car :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very interesting that you all suggest an R8. Definitely have always considered one, but was curious about the Gallardo's. Thanks for all the info on the '04's should I go that route. This would not be a daily, fwiw.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
No Gallardos have Dual Clutch. I think the LP560 may have a twin-plate clutch, but it's still a single disk.
I can see how my post can be misinterpreted. You are correct. That is true.
For dual clutch you either go with 2014+ R8 or Huracan.

I meant LP-560 as paddle shifters only with single clutch (I don't think LP has 6 MT).

The R8 supposedly has an ability to be a DD talking to a few owners albeit tiny frunk space.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you are not looking for a DD, even though AUDI owns LAMBO, an Audi is an Audi but a LAMBO IS A LAMBO!!! Done. End of story. LOL!
:eek:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are not looking for a DD, even though AUDI owns LAMBO, an Audi is an Audi but a LAMBO IS A LAMBO!!! Done. End of story. LOL!
Haha, very true. At my age, though, as crazy as I am about cars, it would send such a sour message (not that an R8 wouldn't..). I'm a bit worried about how it'd 'look'.

But God, to your point, a Lambo would be such a riot. :laugh:

Reactions: In AWD We Trust

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
That's why I prefer the Audi. Less attention but same beast. Not to mention you can get a newer R8 with a much nicer interior for a lower price than an LP G.

That said, if I was going all out I'd take a LP570 SL.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That's why I prefer the Audi. Less attention but same beast. Not to mention you can get a newer R8 with a much nicer interior for a lower price than an LP G.

That said, if I was going all out I'd take a LP570 SL.
This is my struggle with V10 R8's, they are SUCH good deals, and SUCH good cars. Interiors are amazing compared to the earlier Gallardo's (and they should be since they are newer), it just takes some good mods for them to get the "exotic" appeal that the Lambo's do. Put a Lambo next to the R8 and it disappears though.

Reactions: In AWD We Trust
1 - 19 of 19 Posts