Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey , got some question for the guru's . just lookin for wise advice .
my old e55 got the bose command system .. dont sound bad but when i turn all the ways up bass drowns out not to distort im guessin . Its a ten year old benz but still looks smooth for its age . Just lookin to install one nice ten . Money isnt an question but i try to buy smart and not always go for highest price things . will a jl audio w7 10 inch with a jl 500.1 amp knock that much harder then a kicker l7 10 with kicker 500.1 amp .. Not lookin to rattle off bolt on my ride or persons in next lane just want to add a little boom on the back and got killer deal on kicker setup so im kinda leaning that way just like some feedback if jl is really worth buying and never looking back .. TIA

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
kicker if you want to just be loud, JL if you want to be loud, but also have clarity.

and why do you want a w7? a w3 should suffice enough.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn dont wanna be annoying loud , just wanna have some clean bumps coming through the back , .. So 10inch W3 should be good enough to get some decent bumps ? which amp would you pair with it ?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
i would go with a 12 inch w3 and a ppi 2240...

you will not be disappointed

·
Registered
178 Posts
First and Formost the style of music you enjoy will determine the best sub. I would recommend JL Audio over kicker any day of the week for nearly any listening style. If you prefer more "boomy" music like rap/hip-hop, then a 12" sub would be better because it will generally produce better low-end bass; however a 10" sub will generally produce "tighter" bass for music like Classic Rock, Techno and general listening.

I agree that the w3 should be a perfect fit. The w7 is a beast and isn't really there to complement a system. I just put a10w3 in a F-150 and it had clear sound, wonderful response and great depth.

I am currently working on a dual 12w7 set up in a Volvo S60R. It is overkill because its a show car.

I would strongly recommend, planning out and updating a entire system overhall, cause when you "fix" your bass, then you will notice how antiquated the rest of the system is. Focal and Hertz components are great but they are very pricey. A set of the high end JL Audio or even better Diamond Audio mids and high speakers would be a great complement to your new sub set-up. JL audio amps are excellent and you could put a single 500/5 to run your entire system.

best of luck!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I don't like 10's, I perfer the sound you get with 12's. I currently have 2 L7 12's in my G8 and it will rattle your guts if ya want. I've had both Kicker and JL also a nice one to throw in there would be Memphis. The post above is pretty truthfull, good luck with your choice your looking in the right direction.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I don't like 10's, I perfer the sound you get with 12's. I currently have 2 L7 12's in my G8 and it will rattle your guts if ya want. I've had both Kicker and JL also a nice one to throw in there would be Memphis. The post above is pretty truthfull, good luck with your choice your looking in the right direction.
2 l7s is overkill. Thats what one would use in class a or b in an spl competition..

·
Registered
178 Posts
+12 on Memphis. I run Memphis in my personal ride.

·
Registered
390 Posts
anything but the kicker amp. Kicker subs are good for that literal bump sound. JL, like said before, is great for overall sound.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks alot now for sure im leaning JL audio . Its gonna be just one sub in the trunk with a amp . Leavin the factory bose system in , stopped by local audio shop retailer suggested a 12w6 with 500.1 jl amp $1350 plus $250 for install .. lol 1600 for one speaker n amp installed sounds kinda like damn . when told em i got a 12l7 n 750 amp for 5 hundo online brand new shipped he said ill buy ten sets ..then quoted me 300 hundred for installin it .lol . it aint bout the money as much as im lookin for for a nice clean install job < no hack shit> . and dont want my benzos electrical to go haywire or get fried out . But these guys supposed to be very good in metro Detroit area so well see . decisions, decisions .... Thanks for the suggestions tho appreciate it

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I've had JL systems in my 325ci, Avalon, Spur and my QX.

Unless someone drastically better comes out of JL takes a turn for the worse, I'll never use anything but JL when it comes to amps and subs.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Just my $0.02...if you quality is what you're after, don't forget the head unit. Its the brain's of the operation, so to speak. You'd be surprise the difference you'd hear from an Alpine unit over a factory head unit.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
kicker and jl are both good for clean bass...

I have 4 solo baric L7 15" in my show car but also a jl w7 in my daily and they both are clean speakers

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
thanks alot now for sure im leaning JL audio . Its gonna be just one sub in the trunk with a amp . Leavin the factory bose system in , stopped by local audio shop retailer suggested a 12w6 with 500.1 jl amp $1350 plus $250 for install .. lol 1600 for one speaker n amp installed sounds kinda like damn . when told em i got a 12l7 n 750 amp for 5 hundo online brand new shipped he said ill buy ten sets ..then quoted me 300 hundred for installin it .lol . it aint bout the money as much as im lookin for for a nice clean install job < no hack shit> . and dont want my benzos electrical to go haywire or get fried out . But these guys supposed to be very good in metro Detroit area so well see . decisions, decisions .... Thanks for the suggestions tho appreciate it
Make a trip here, and ill do it for way less! Jk, but i agree on the head unit. I used a clarion, but im going to say out of budget. An alpine is probably the best bet for that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts