Luxury4Play.com banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
1st...You need to relax or you won't make it around here long.
2nd.. I am not familiar with the site. Just poking around for the first time. I asked for supporting statements to your reply. Not just..that suit isnt bespoke homie....
im not claming to be the end all be all on suit knowledge, and this is an informal forum so i felt/still feel fine posting "isnt bespoke homie"

if i said it isnt bespoke, and you replied saying you know what bespoke is, then it isnt hard to bridge that knowledge gap, and figure it out.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Okay...I am dumb. I don't know what bespoke is. Educate me and the rest of the forum about this website please.

You were good in the cigar forum on your 1st post. I'm sure you can enlighten us here as well.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you are being sincere, i honestly appreciate you being able to say "i dont know...", i find it hard to do sometimes as well, and admitting my faults/inadequacies is a skill i am constantly working on.

The courts define bespoke: Sartoriani vs. Savile Row - Ask Andy FORUMS is a good starting point.
YES, the definition is changing, as pretty much everything is nowadays.

but the classic definition, that is still valid in the present day is basically.
- all hand made
- entails multiple visits, not just measure yourself and send us the #s
- choice of 1000+ fabrics
- no patterns used at all.
- some absurd # of measurements for each garment
etc

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
if you are being sincere, i honestly appreciate you being able to say "i dont know...", i find it hard to do sometimes as well, and admitting my faults/inadequacies is a skill i am constantly working on.

The courts define bespoke: Sartoriani vs. Savile Row - Ask Andy FORUMS is a good starting point.
YES, the definition is changing, as pretty much everything is nowadays.

but the classic definition, that is still valid in the present day is basically.
- all hand made
- entails multiple visits, not just measure yourself and send us the #s
- choice of 1000+ fabrics
- no patterns used at all.
- some absurd # of measurements for each garment
etc
I did ask specifically about the site in question however....

To the letter of the "law" it may not be.
Online, 500 dollars (or less) and not MTM it is from what I can tell.
Seems like a gray area or cost effective solution.

I see a couple nice nice designs on the site but I can't buy clothes online so unfortunately I will never try it out.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i just always thought of a bespoke being made somewhere off of saville row or something. but these days, a lot of big name designers have been making some pretty awesome suits! just went to rodeo and checked out a crap load of swatches.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I remember this came up back when Chuck was asking about 3 buttoned suits. I thought mine was bespoke (I had it done in Baghdad...well on the base there, only way I could afford it and not be risking my ass unnecessarily). After we talked about it a bit I did some research and realized there are in fact a few technical definitions and categories of handmade suits.

I think bespoke is like what the new guy above said - 1000s of choices between fabrics and patters (and they will have swatches of then all, plus all but the most exotic material is on site or VERY nearby), as well as dozens of customizable things (not just label width - which you can specify ANY width you want but how many, what type and what size of buttons, cuff lengths (and type), collar type and sizes, etc. They then take dozens of measurements, sometimes even throwing on a "blank" suit and chalking it up and then measuring off that especially since they need to see how your customized option sizes are going to come into play. They then get the fabrics and start sewing!

With mine it was in the next class, custom suits - The dude had lots of swatches of the outside fabric and pattern, for the inside stuff he only had 4 with the different types of silk material but only pictures of the designs. I had a few basic standard options (lapel type with standard widths, # of buttons, shoulder size, pleated or not pants - nothing to fancy. Just ordered pants and a top (they also had that layer of silk in a flat color the same as the pant). Since its in transit down to my new address its not in front of me, but I think that was it anyway. As for measurements I'd say about 15-20. Overall cost, $160 US! End product was good but much lighter than I had expected (granted, it was Iraq). In fact it was suppose to be all wool but I bet theres tons of cotton in it.

Anyway most of the iraqis get their suits done this way and then wear the same ones every day in the hot sun so they are suppose t be very durable. I've only worn it twice in the 2 years since I've had it, so I cannot comment on the durability, although it doesn't feel it but we will see!

Lastly, MTM is a lesser version of custom suits it seems. A good example for shirts, not suits, is Thomas Pink. You selected patterns, a few features, and then they take a fews broad and simple measurements and bada bing, there you go!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I thought this thread died!

I realize it's not 'bespoke', but it brought you into this thread didn't it. :D

Regardless I was disappointed with the suits fit when it arrived. I have since taken it to a tailor and had it tweaked, with a minor adjustment made after trying it on. I'm pretty happy with the fit now. Much better and considering it cost me maybe $100-150 more than a rental tux and I got a suit, custom/MTM shirt, and a nice woven wool skinny tie to KEEP for my sister's wedding I am overall pleased.

I'll try to get some pics up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
awesome in depth feedback I may hit them up as well... tailored suits gives the best flow on shoulders and chest yes for sure because the in-seems and paddings are cut to a "T"! but the designers these days are so busy even you buy 4 suits in a go that they forget the nice touch as the initials on the jackets etc... I am going to checkout and buy one just for the initial I guess...again as a disclaimer it could be just my designer outlet(s) who goes for the quick buck.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts